UKBouldering.com

Strava or alternatives (Read 12882 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 04:40:54 pm
I haven't used it before, just my Garmin thing for tracking where I've been etc.
I only want something to tell me how far I've ridden, total time, max and ave speeds

What does anyone else use on their phone that's any good ?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 04:47:29 pm
Either free version of Strava or Endomondo. I find Endomondo easier to use, but Strava has more interfaces with clubs, record times for certain stretches etc. Download both and see which one you prefer. You can run both at the same time, but make sure your battery is fully charged!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 04:48:15 pm
I mainly use...

Endomondo

But occasionaly use...

My Tracks

I only use them to log my commutes to work and walks/hikes, both include distance, total time, maximum and means.

Evil

• addict
#3 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 04:49:42 pm
http://www.mapmyride.com/ is also quite good if you don't want to know how fast/slow you are compared to everyone else everytime you go out. You get a weekly and monthly (and all time) total if you are interested in mileage over time etc. I've only used that, Strava and the Garmin Connect thing, so that's as far as my experience goes.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#4 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 05:00:06 pm
If you've already got a Garmin with GPS then upload the files from it straight to Strava. For longer rides your Garmin will be better than using an app on your phone, it will give more accurate data and the battery is likely to last longer. Phone GPS chips are pretty basic and most aren't designed for accurate tracking so you get strange data from time to time.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 05:11:57 pm
I use Strava on my iPhone. Does the job.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 05:28:34 pm
you get strange data from time to time.

llike altitude lost never equals altitude gained! I've never had any other issue though, in fact it's always remarkable accurate, but if you have a Garmin with a GPS already it will always be better as you say.

RobinB

• addict
#7 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 05:47:02 pm
Strava - and your life will be ruined chasing segment times!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 05:52:46 pm
Strava's best I've tried for measuring yourself on segments but I also use mapmyrun for verbal pace updates whilst on the go.  Might not be so relevant on a bike but while running knowing distance, time, current & average pace is quite useful.  it doesn't generate an altitude gain figure at the end though unfortunately.

Also use viewranger for longer off-road routes.  It's a free app then you can buy all the Northern national park 1:50,000 OS maps for £2.99.  Use it for navigation while out and after you've synched from your device you can see your route online on whatever maps you own.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 06:02:08 pm
you get strange data from time to time.

llike altitude lost never equals altitude gained! I've never had any other issue though, in fact it's always remarkable accurate, but if you have a Garmin with a GPS already it will always be better as you say.

Phones are (I think) better for x-y positioning as they also triangulate from the mobile transmitters.. they're all shit for elevation (z) due to difficulties of triangulating elevation well...

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 06:09:29 pm
Strava - and your life will be ruined chasing segment times!

You've actually paid for a pro-subscription then? I was pretty astounded by the cost (£39 /year).

I ended up looking into this for the other half and after trying both Strava and Endomodo she's settled on the latter, mainly as in the free version you can set a target distance for your run/ride and it'll count up/down. We couldn't work out if you could do this in Strava (free or pro).

As SA Chris says, the elevations never match...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:19:15 pm by Paul B »

RobinB

• addict
#11 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 08:36:52 pm
You've actually paid for a pro-subscription then

Nope - just the standard version - not really sure I can see any benefits in paying for the Premium service apart from the fact you can compare segment times within your age group. Not sure I'm that bothered!

webbo

• forum hero
#12 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 08:37:59 pm
I used to use my tracks but got fed up with it only recording part of my ride. I bought a wireless computer/heart rate monitor much better.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#13 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 09:08:56 pm
the guy who sits next to me at work uses Strava/Garmin every day for his bi-cycling

every day he shows me a list of achievements and medals he's won (on his big phone)

he wears a heart rate monitor linked in to it all so we can look at graphs comparing gradient with BPM and other shit

then he shows me pics of the latest Rafa pink lycra shoe covers that he's ordered (telling me about the benefits of being a diamond crusted platinum Wiggle customer)

He rides a £5k+ bike to work

paid for with a compo payout from being nudged over on a roundabout (on top of all the unnecessary physio and massages they paid for while the claim was repeatedly refused and thus increased)

I bought a "I [heart] MY BIKE" bell from the 99p shop and lightly fixed it onto his bars while he was working a late shift. I did this mainly to amuse my heavily pregnant cycling and rowing fanatic work colleague, who was not finding her round state much fun (she laughed for ages)

He threw a fucking fit and compared my actions as being equivalent to him buggering my children (seriously) - because the bell was in the way of his Garmin mount and he had to spend 45 seconds removing it before he could mount the beloved device.

anyway, he seems to love the whole Strava thing and hates all other road users

I'm going to get some pink, sparkly Barbie accessories for his bike next time my car insurance premium seems unreasonable

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#14 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 09:12:12 pm
Since using Strava I've not looked at Endomondo again. Segments are a lot of fun to chase and a good way to push yourself though I can see how they might become a bit of an obsession. I just like how there are segments everywhere and for everything (sometimes too many I guess).

I know people who take them far too seriously...sounds like Lagers' colleague may be one of them! And people have actually died trying to beat segment times which is a little silly.

I actually paid for a premium sub but then I don't think £3 p/m is terrible since they must have some hefty server costs to pay - I got it mainly for the age groups / weight class feature just for personal interest's sake but this really is of limited use.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#15 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 10:28:13 pm
 :clap2: Brill, loves lagers story about the bell and the Strava-bore. People do get far too hung up on it but as it's been said it works best as a virtual training partner comparing yourself to your previous times. For this it works great and the free version is fine. You need the paid version for live tracking which is a bit much really.

People do get far too hung up on it, earlier in the year another work colleague of someone on here got up at 5am or earlier and rode for at least 2hrs before work so he could get the most miles ridden in a month for someone based in the UK. He clocked up a ridiculous total, obsessively checked the numbers and was in pole position right up until midnight at the end of the month thinking he had in in the bag. But you have 24hrs to add your rides after the end of the month. His arch nemesis had waited until the last moment, uploaded one more ride and beat his total mileage by about 10 miles.

At the end of the day they are numbers on a website which are very easy to cheat/copy etc. And even if they are genuine there's always someone faster out there...[that said I challenge any of you to beat my 'fox to the top' KOM];)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 10:38:20 pm by Obi-Wan is lost... »

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 10:56:37 pm
Lagers, find out what stages/sections he's proud of in Strava and beat his times by just driving them...

Btw, is it pronounced (sounding like) like lava or strave-a? Someone at work kept correctng me saying it should be the latter - I just thought they were being a dick.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#17 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 11:09:33 pm
You're right, he's a dick

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#18 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 11:12:07 pm
He must have been thinking about the Ikea range of map table cloths

Stubbs

#19 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 11:23:07 pm
Strava for me too. I'm lucky enough to live in an area with lots of Cat 1 and Pro cyclists, so chasing KOMs isn't really an issue, but I do like looking how my times on segments compare throughout the year.  The ride planner page is a good easy google maps interface too (gives you distance and elevation of a route, allows you to chose flattest route, etc.), and allows you to share planned routes with friends easily.

Hadn't really thought about paying for premium, but Bubba's point about serve costs is a valid one!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#20 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 11:32:12 pm
I shouldn't worry about Strava's server costs. Those boys will be able to pay their own bills (if they aren't already) from the sale of the data that they own to city planner types and have a good few Gs left over I expect. The heat map stuff is so commercially valuable its unreal.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#21 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 16, 2014, 11:43:58 pm
Lagers, find out what stages/sections he's proud of in Strava and beat his times by just driving them...

Btw, is it pronounced (sounding like) like lava or strave-a? Someone at work kept correctng me saying it should be the latter - I just thought they were being a dick.

It's pronounced to sound like lava, or at least that's how the CEO says it (source)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#22 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 17, 2014, 08:18:34 am
He threw a fucking fit and compared my actions as being equivalent to him buggering my children (seriously) - because the bell was in the way of his Garmin mount and he had to spend 45 seconds removing it before he could mount the beloved device.

Spokey Dokeys next then?

tomtom

• forum hero
#23 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 17, 2014, 09:11:43 am

Spokey Dokeys next then?

Cruising!

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#24 Re: Strava or alternatives
July 17, 2014, 09:55:44 am
Strava is crack cocaine for the Lycra clad middle aged man who gets pleasure from burning off his mates. And it can bring your inner dick well out on display. I thought I could handle it, but now find myself wanting to t ell strangers about my five koms (not in a night.)

But there are worse depths - by cycling to mars and back or whatever you earn the right to buy an 80 quid shirt? Fails to compute.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:02:15 am by johnx2 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal