UKBouldering.com

Uplift Day/Weekend - 26/27th July - North Wales - Come along (Read 3274 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
I hesitate to call this a UKB uplift day/weekend but it would be great if loads of people came. My ac joint dislocation is healing and it's time to get back on the bike and enjoy this amazing weather.

A couple of us are going from Bristol and the plan is:

26th July - Antur Stiniog Uplift

27th July - Revolution Bike Park Uplift

We're booked for both. Hope to see some of you there...

account_inactive

• forum hero
Bambino imminent so can't I'm afraid (been banned from fucking myself up). Have a good one though  :wave:

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
Quick review:

Antur Stiniog: ROCKY. VERY ROCKY! I saw an insane number of punctures. I also managed to dent a deemax ultimate rim by ploughing through a rock section and getting my line slightly wrong. The trails are all on loose pack shale/slate type rock. I found it really hard in the corners as grip was hard to come by. Being on a completely open hillside with no trees it meant the wide played a huge factor in safety. One strong gust mid jump and you could be wiped out (I was fortunate to avoid such an outcome). I probably wouldn't go back as I didn't think the lines flowed that well and it was just so rocky! The uplift service was really good though as the turnaround is really fast and they have a tarmac road all the way to the top.

Revolution Bike Park: Only 3 trails, not massively knarly, but really fun. The freeride trail has some small/medium gaps to keep things interesting and it flows really well. It's a lot of fun. The double black trail is the timed one and I really enjoyed it. Steep in places, quite technical, and the bottom half is fast and technical through the trees. I didn't do a timed run but I can safely say that I was nowhere near even half speed. I'd go back just to session this track for half a day. The overall scene at revolution was really good. The guys and girl who run it are really nice and their basic setup adds to the whole day. There's just a big bus stop style shack in which they cook up some delicious burgers for lunch and the land rover uplift service is fast (if a little rough). The "pro" quarry line is big... really big. It didn't look impossible but none of the features looked quite doable (yet!).

All in all, a great weekend (apart from blowing up my CCDB Air shock). One top tip is that the static caravans just below revolution can be hired out for the weekend (3 nights) at £120 and they sleep 4 people.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Sounds good and don't think I'll bother with A.S. heard a few similar reports.

Unfortunately uplift days are off the calendar for me for a while due to a very ill girlfriend but hopefully will get some easier ones in in the autumn.

cofe

• forum hero
Revolution Bike Park: Only 3 trails, not massively knarly, but really fun. The freeride trail has some small/medium gaps to keep things interesting and it flows really well. It's a lot of fun. The double black trail is the timed one and I really enjoyed it. Steep in places, quite technical, and the bottom half is fast and technical through the trees. I didn't do a timed run but I can safely say that I was nowhere near even half speed. I'd go back just to session this track for half a day. The overall scene at revolution was really good. The guys and girl who run it are really nice and their basic setup adds to the whole day. There's just a big bus stop style shack in which they cook up some delicious burgers for lunch and the land rover uplift service is fast (if a little rough). The "pro" quarry line is big... really big. It didn't look impossible but none of the features looked quite doable (yet!).

All in all, a great weekend (apart from blowing up my CCDB Air shock). One top tip is that the static caravans just below revolution can be hired out for the weekend (3 nights) at £120 and they sleep 4 people.

We've just booked a day at Rev for next month, with the annual Snowdon hit the day before. Looking forward to it. Though me and Obi Wan… are likely to be on the verge of underbiked… 

account_inactive

• forum hero
I'm booked in at Stiniog this Saturday

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
I'm booked in at Stiniog this Saturday
First visit? A few others on here aren't big fans but I quite liked aspects of it, and would consider going again for a day as I had an off about lunchtime last visit which put paid to trying the steeper stuff in the afternoon.

account_inactive

• forum hero
Yep, first visit. I read the comments.....I'll report back

gingerninja

• menacing presence
Arthurs stinky dog is a good day out, ive been a couple of times. really good if the weather is rubbish as the ground keeps its grip/lack of. not been since they put the new line in but spent most of the time on the blue as only have a trek remedy. i did go down one of the black a couple of times but was a bit loose on the little bike. think you will enjoy it but after 2 or 3 visits it looses its appeal.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Echo the above, it's not for me, too little flow.. Little journey.. Just a blast through rocks. The uplift is very impressive. The friction is not. The pump track at the bottom is brilliant.. After the morning I then spent the rest of today on that.

I seem over committed at the moment, with a new weekend work roster that has constrained my ability to take whole days away :(

I'm hoping for a Recce of the black mountain place that just opened... Or Cwmcarn later this year....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal