UKBouldering.com

energy used climbing (Read 2465 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
energy used climbing
July 04, 2014, 02:32:00 pm
So I was wondering about the amount of energy used in climbing, but before you all go saying this has been asked before I was thinking more about how much the diffiulty of the move affects the amout of energy.
For example just using distance traveled X mass would imply that a V0 would take the same energy as a V15 given it being the same distane etc.

So is there a way to calculate energy used that takes into account difficulty?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1 Re: energy used climbing
July 04, 2014, 02:42:45 pm
A V1 move would maybe use a little less energy than a V15, as you would need to use a lot of static contraction (core, shoulders etc.). But, the energy used won't be significantly difference. The main difference between a V1 move and a V15 move (in a massively simplified way) is that you need to expend the same amount of energy on a much smaller hold.

In simplistic terms, a 1 armer on a jug will use, give or take, the same energy as a 1 armer on a 1 finger pocket. It's just that the force is all taken through 1 finger and one pad, rather than a whole hand.

Not sure why you care  :shrug:  You probably burn more calories walking to the wall, or cleaning the house, or knocking one out...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: energy used climbing
July 04, 2014, 03:05:58 pm
See discussion in this thread.

(Could probably even merge them if anyone can be arsed).

Fadanoid

• addict
#3 Re: energy used climbing
July 04, 2014, 04:58:58 pm
This is an interesting point.

I think this will depend on your base strength and ability. For example a complete beginner will use much more energy on a particular problem, whereas some of the beefcakes on here will consider it an insult that they should even climb it?

I think any measure of energy expenditure should really be done when you are feeling like you are at your limit or just below.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: energy used climbing
July 07, 2014, 11:23:28 am
That was kinda what I was wondering. Another example would be moves on things like undercuts where youre straining pretty hard but only then move your arm 1m. By standards mass distance stuff then you wouldnt do much but all your muscles are straining so you must be using a fair bit of energy?
More a curiosity thing than for any real useful reason

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal