UKBouldering.com

Snacking during the climbing day? (Read 10471 times)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#25 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 12:18:04 pm
Learning to Lunch

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#26 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 01:04:41 pm
I remember once going climbing with Sloper and he managed to forget to bring any equipment that would traditionally be associated with climbing. However from his perspective he day was a complete success because he managed to find his long lost cigar cutter in one of his numerous pockets.
Very good, lol.

Webbo etc, this is a genuine question, just like almost all others people post in DT&I. I generally feel okay climbing with what I eat, but I am wondering if there are any possible improvements or general principles regarding food types / timings wrt exercise that could be useful.

webbo

• forum hero
#27 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 02:59:33 pm
As I see it nutrition is there to stop a decline in performance. In that you have done the training and its there ensure you can use it.
So ideally you should consume on the crag what you eat and drink what you use in training. In my case my training sessions on my board only last an hour or at the very most two. All I need for this is fluids, so when i go to the crag I take plenty to drink with bits of fruit and the odd grain bar which usually gets eaten after I've finished climbing. Again if I head up somewhere like Simons Seat which is going to be a long day out, I may take a sandwich but it will get eaten before the walk down.
If you think your performance declines due to lake of energy rather than being knackered as pushing yourself beyond your training limits, try using say an energy drink/gels in training and see if they work. I use these on the bike but as most taste like shit I'd rather take fruit to crag when weight isn't an issue.
Is this the response you were hoping for as I'm sure I said the same thing if the first two but more briefly :lol:

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#28 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 04:27:25 pm
I've found that greasier, calorie dense breakfasts - (e.g. mcdonalds or burger king) eaten an hour or two before climbing  keeps me going better, whereas If i eat a typical "healthy breakfast" with fruits veggies cereal etc. even if im quite full in the morning I'll feel hungry just a climb or two in.

It does make sense to some extent that the ideal breakfast for a day spent cragging is going to be quite different than for a day at the office.

The benefit besides having to pack less stuff in and take less food breaks is that I feel digestion doesnt happen as well at the crag- even when sitting down or belaying. The body is in an aroused state having to split blood between the muscles your brain and your stomach. So for me filling up the tank as much as possible in the morning when the fuel pump is working 100% is best.

Doylo

• forum hero
#29 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 04:31:14 pm
I tend not to eat at the crag. I feel less sluggish and like I'm on a mission. I like the feeling of getting home all hungry and deserving of my tea .

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 04:38:52 pm
I've found that greasier, calorie dense breakfasts - (e.g. mcdonalds or burger king) eaten an hour or two before climbing  keeps me going better, whereas If i eat a typical "healthy breakfast" with fruits veggies cereal etc. even if im quite full in the morning I'll feel hungry just a climb or two in.

Apparently Redgrave and Pinsent were once put on a healthy breakfast diet, and said they were feeling utterly fecked halfway through their training sessions, so returned their usual full fry up before getting on the water (hopefully developing diabetes was unrealted!). Not saying you burn the same amount of calories as rowing your arms off, but there is prbably some truth in it. I try and have a big bowl of porridge with some fruit and a fair whack of brown sugar if I'm out winter climbing or ski touring for a day, and it keeps me going quite well, with some wine gums and trail mix to top me up along the way.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#31 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 06:21:32 pm
Thanks guys, that's getting more interesting.

I usually can't stomach a big breakfast first thing although I do eat something decent. I tend to have the egg sarnies as lunch so maybe that helps. I tend to keep that snack sizes down for the reasons Krymson mentions.

Could be that I am actually doing it right  :shrug:

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#32 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 06:53:23 pm
Sounds about right for  cragging day. Since you don't do big walk ins you really won't burn many calories at the crag.  I'd say don't over obsess. Maybe some fruit and nut trail mix for snacking between routes.

Do what your body says.

Today I was starving so I had a big bowl of muesli and yoghurt (probably at least a double "portion" of muesli, if you go by what the packet says) then 3 tortilla wraps with cheese, peppers and onions a snickers, some jelly babies and I've just got home and wolfed a half sharing pack of crisps, a can of mackerel, some salami, cheese, 2 beers and I'll soon eat the potatoes that are roasting in the oven, probably with mayonnaise.

Nom nom.

We did do 1.5 hour walk to a 370m Fr6b, abseil and walk out though. Probably earned some of it.

petejh

• forum hero
#33 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 07:50:54 pm
+1 to the 'breakfast set up' (but not McD/Burger King - you dirty bugger!).

This breakie sets me up until mid-afternoon in summer -
Banana and almond pancakes:
heat big knob of butter in a pan,
mix up 2 eggs, 1 banana and a big dollop of almond butter (from holland&barret etc.).
Pour mix into pan and fry for 5 mins. Serve with blueberries/rasberries/strawberries.

At the crag just water and some sugar e.g. nice chocolate.

In winter anything goes, the more fat the better.

rich d

• forum hero
#34 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 09:11:18 pm
Coffee, more coffee and if it's a big send day, some pink champagne.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#35 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 09:12:10 pm
Caffeine pacing is a real art-form. I used to rely on diet Coke / Irn-Bru to pick me up after the post-macchiato slump, but now I've cut down on even diet soft drinks so it's trickier stuff. Except for climbing with Tris Fox who has started to take the Jetboil to the crag for a coffee in between each route...

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#36 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 27, 2014, 11:54:28 pm
Except for climbing with Tris Fox who has started to take the Jetboil to the crag for a coffee in between each route...

He knows ^^^

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#37 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 28, 2014, 07:07:50 am
an aeropress wouldn't be much extra weight in the pack

just saying

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#38 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 29, 2014, 03:18:21 pm
Boiled white rice mixed with almonds, peanuts (without salt if I can find them), and raisins. Takes 15 min to prepare in the morning. Fuel for all day.

If I suspect I have to take a longer break during the day I sometimes add chickpeas to the mix.

For shorter sessions: nothing.

For long routes I bring the stupidly overpriced energy-bars you'll find in sporting goods store (I'm allergic to chocolate so no mars bars for me). I should really make them myself, and then I would make them more sugary and with less protein then the store bought ones. It's hard enough to bring enough water on long routes without having to use water to break down protein.

Paul B

• forum hero
#39 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 29, 2014, 06:40:45 pm
For long routes I bring the stupidly overpriced energy-bars you'll find in sporting goods store (I'm allergic to chocolate so no mars bars for me). I should really make them myself, and then I would make them more sugary and with less protein then the store bought ones. It's hard enough to bring enough water on long routes without having to use water to break down protein.

I found the date based bars (like Larabars) to be better than Clif bars etc. The ingredients list certainly seems a lot better (basically dates and nuts).

I found a recipe here:
http://www.damyhealth.com/2011/03/how-to-make-homemade-lara-bars/

with the intention of doing as you said. As of yet it hasn't happened.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 06:54:31 pm by Paul B »

TobyD

• forum hero
  • Job offers gratefully accepted
#40 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 29, 2014, 11:51:20 pm
9-bars and naked bars are good. Though naked bars are basically just fruit and nuts, but slightly more pocket-friendly than a load of peanuts and raisins.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#41 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 30, 2014, 11:39:25 am
Been on the Nakeds for a while now. 9 Bars at TCA.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#42 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 30, 2014, 12:15:26 pm
I remember once going climbing with Sloper and he managed to forget to bring any equipment that would traditionally be associated with climbing. However from his perspective he day was a complete success because he managed to find his long lost cigar cutter in one of his numerous pockets.

The answer to the question is obviously starbars.

Ahh, yes, things do work out well from time to time.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#43 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 30, 2014, 12:31:01 pm
For a caffeine / Sugar kick there are always chocolate covered esperesso beans. In warmer climates this can become a gooey mess though.

Paul B

• forum hero
#44 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 30, 2014, 12:33:16 pm
At your recommendation I have been getting into the Larabars: very good! Unfortunately they never seem to be discounted, whilst enough of the regular supermarkets carry Clif bars that at any time one of them usually has a bulk deal.
Does this include Walmart? They only ever had 'Apple Pie' but were usually fairly reasonable (IIRC).

The best place on the planet for buying these bars has to be GearHeads in Moab, they literally have every flavour of every type of energy bar conceivable (for much less than everywhere else too).

The shop itself is fantastic, it's like an independent CCC and CragX/Needlsports all rolled into one and packed into a relatively small shop. They also let climbers fill up their water tanks etc. (as much as you like, which appears to have been milked in the past by a bus full of school kids!).

JackAus

• junky
#45 Re: Snacking during the climbing day?
June 30, 2014, 12:52:05 pm
Most of my climbing sessions are fairly short (2-3 hours) so I don't usually eat anything. Alot of sessions are usually straight after breakfast though to get the cooler conditions and before work.

If I'm heading to a non-local crag (hour or 2 drive) for the day, then I'll take fruit & nut trail mix, sugary cereal bars and a banana or 2.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal