UKBouldering.com

Helmet irritation (Read 3513 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 07:51:11 am
Not sure where this should go really, and no I'm not talking about THAT helmet irritation. The GP gave me some cream for that.......

I've been wearing a new helmet for work (groundsman for a tree surgeon) for about 6 months. It's a Petzl Vertex Vent. I know I shouldn't be wearing one that has a strap as a groundsman but it's the only way I can keep it on my head as I was constantly taking the old one off and had a close call that could have been serious if I had been stood a few inches to the left (large chunk of wood landed next to me whilst I was stood there without my lid on).

All that is by the by, my main gripe is skin irritation where the straps go. I have pretty bad skin anyway I.e prone to spots etc. But my temples and the area sort of below my ears where my jaw ends and neck starts are suffering particularly badly from horrible zits. I've tried cleaning the straps with some warm water and a mild soap, but didn't really make any odds. Is there anything else I could try? Will I just have to accept that my number one fancy dress option is Superteds sidekick? Is this thread a hot bed for puns on a level we have not witnessed yet? Who knows.

webbo

• forum hero
#1 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 08:42:00 am
Could you wrap something round the straps that you can wash. I remember seeing cycle helmets that had something that wrapped over the buckle to prevent chaffing, it was held in place by Velcro.
Also how tight do you need the straps, on my cycle helmet I have them quite loose although it tight on my head. So given how much I sweat when wearing it, I tend to get the zits on my forehead and where the pads touch my head.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 08:48:19 am
You think it might be bacteria causing the problem, not dirt? Maybe the soap and water isn't killing them, might need something a bit stronger to kill them off, but as thte same time not irritate your skin. Mild bleach solution?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 11:37:44 am
The original Vertex vents had a shite adjustment wheel at the back and were really top heavy, making them unstable. I'm assuming you've got one of these as I've never needed a tight chinstrap to keep a helmet stable. The newer Vertex have a better cradle and are a bit better, but I'd shell out for an Alveo (~£50) which are much lighter and comfier, but fit the same ear defenders. You won't need the chinstrap done up then, or it should be loose enough not to rub. I always adjust the buckles so they sit back nearer my ears rather than my mouth.

The 'rules' about chinstraps when on the floor are a joke and only really of relevance if you work in a mine and likely to get your helmet trapped.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#4 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 11:58:41 am
What Chris suggested except I'd avoid bleach which can make skin worse. Try something baby bot friendly like Dettol spray, miltons or Napisan to clean it and then maybe a tea tree oil spray ?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 12:23:31 pm
Tea tree is a good call. Leave it out to air as much as possible too - don't leave it in a bag or the boot.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#6 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 08:24:58 pm
Thought this was going to be a thread about Piers Morgan.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 08:39:51 pm
Reminds me, we might have some new foam inlays for the headband lying around. I'll have a look for you.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#8 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 09:19:47 pm
Reminds me, we might have some new foam inlays for the headband lying around. I'll have a look for you.

If Adam doesn't, we have loads. Just let me know.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#9 Re: Helmet irritation
June 26, 2014, 09:22:02 pm
Thought this was going to be a thread about Piers Morgan.

Peter Andre's back so be careful!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal