UKBouldering.com

Best core exercises with a pull up bar? (Read 5826 times)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Title says it all really. Only real training facility I have at home is my pullup bar. Core strength is lacking so advice on best methods to improve it using said equipment is greatly appreciated.

Denbob99

• addict
Ankles to bar leg lifts are pretty damn tiring. 3 sets of max reps and you'll feel it the next day. I'm also a fan of the dish, holding for a minute at the time (or longer), no pullup bar required for that one. Depending how strong you are already, you can mess about with front lever progressions.

Ab wheels are pretty awesome too, standing rollouts are f******* 'ard, great tool to use at home, dead cheap too.

erm, sam

• forum hero
knees to opposite elbows is good.

Swing on pull up bar and dob toes onto the edge of a chair a few feet away from the doorway (assuming your bar is in a doorway) and ping into tension, like you were catching a toe hold on a steep wall

Duma

• forum hero
Just be very sure your bar is secure, unexpected failure when you've got your feet up can be very serious indeed.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
 Great replies so far, many thanks. What's the dish you mention? I'm clueless by the way, but keen.

Denbob99

• addict

Though I keep my lower back off the floor with them, makes them much harder.

Duma

• forum hero
Sorry for ot, but here's a link to the thread this brought to mind: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?topic=20498.0#
Check your bar!

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
Thanks for the links. Dish looks a good one to work at.

Scary to think about the bar failing, never even contemplated it to be honest. It's a York stainless steel one and I put it up myself. The type with two caps that are held in place with 3 screws, either side of the door frame. You then twist the main bar to extend it into place. I'll look at putting some impact protection underneath whilst using it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I'm sure I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but there are loads of core exercises you can do without needing the bar. I've got the same one as you in the same setup, and still get nervous as it's at the top of concrete steps, and as per Duma's link above.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Another non-bar related one that's great is the alternating superman.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
hang some old slings/rope off the bar so that it rests 6" or so off the ground then do planks and knee tucks. These are the exercises but you don't need the no doubt overpriced, over complicated piece of kit.

http://clay1231.hubpages.com/hub/Five-Core-Blasting-Ab-Exercises-With-TRX-Suspension-Trainer

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
front lever pulls

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
Another non-bar related one that's great is the alternating superman.

This kind of thing in a press up position is good when the above gets too easy, or on rings hung off the bar when that gets too easy.

And an alternative (much easier) to front lever pulls is to lever to 30-40 degrees or so (more or less the angle in the vid above), with slightly bent arms, shoulders engaged. Then either hold it or bring knees up to chest, elbows and back to the lever.

Krank

• junky
  • VIVA LA CHAPEL
  • Its meant to be hard
go flat or go home :weakbench:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
not done this for years(?) and it's not an obvious core thing

pyramids of pullups and pressups in a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio. 1 pull up, 2 pressups, 2 pull ups, 4 pressups etc until your biceps start to pump, then down again (no rests). switch to easy grip pullups if needed to complete a set

3 or 4 sets of that left my core fucked the next day, which means it must be good for core right? lats, chest, shoulders, biceps seemed to cope fine, but the core took a hammering

it's less boring than holding static core positions and makes you feel like a hero

webbo

• forum hero
Even better is doing 1 pull up, 1 pressup, 1 hanging knee/leg raise, 1 dip, 1 sit up/ crunch. Then 2, then 3 up to 5 then down again.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Even better is doing 1 pull up, 1 pressup, 1 hanging knee/leg raise, 1 dip, 1 sit up/ crunch. Then 2, then 3 up to 5 then down again.

All done to the tune of...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
I was sure that Slackers was posting to point out that a dip cannot be done on a pullup bar in a doorway

webbo

• forum hero
I'm that even slackers could find a couple of chairs to do his dips on. If he hasn't you could lend a couple from your garden/barbecue/patio sets.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal