UKBouldering.com

Beryl Burton (Read 2223 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Beryl Burton
June 24, 2014, 10:01:14 am
Can't say I'd heard of Beryl Burton before, but then I only ride a bike to get too and from work and don't follow sports outside of climbing (and snooker).

An impressive career though, 25 years as UK champion and seven world titles and a 12 hour distance record that at the time beat the male field too and still hasn't been bettered by a female.  How does that stack up against the current cream of the crop? :shrug:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Burton

Palomides

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Beryl Burton
June 24, 2014, 10:43:33 am
One of the best British cyclists of all time.  :great: Difficult to think of other Brits who have had similar success in different disciplines - Wiggins maybe?

I can't imagine that funding for womens cycling was better than the current pitiful situation, which makes her acheivements even more impressive.

It's not really fair to try and compare her with current female cyclists, as this would include Marianne Vos, who is one of the most successful cyclists ever (of any gender).

Stubbs

#2 Re: Beryl Burton
June 24, 2014, 10:53:39 am
Yeah Vos was the first name that came to mind in comparison - 25 years as British champion is amazing!

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#3 Re: Beryl Burton
June 24, 2014, 11:41:11 am
Nice piece on her on the One Show last night.

The fact nobody has heard of her is a reflection of the UK not being interested in cycling as a sport.  Most arent interested unless theres a football involved.  Numpties.  She was rather a special cyclist.  Chappeau as they say.  Legend. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal