UKBouldering.com

Training with no climbing (Read 2910 times)

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
Training with no climbing
June 20, 2014, 04:57:40 pm
Hi guys,
Going away for about a month and won't be able to get on my fingerboard or do any climbing what so ever. Feeling strong at the moment and close to climbing a number of long term projects, so was just wondering what training can I do, if any, that will help me stay at the same level. Obviously expecting to dip a little in form, but want to be able to start off where I am leaving it.
Pull ups, press ups and core exercises enough? Or is their something else that really helps?

Thanks for any help

abarro81

• forum hero
#1 Re: Training with no climbing
June 20, 2014, 05:00:30 pm
No possibility of taking mini fingerboard or rock rings style things? If not then expect to take a month or so to get back into decent shape..

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Training with no climbing
June 20, 2014, 05:08:28 pm
From the title I thought it was a topic about me.

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Training with no climbing
June 20, 2014, 05:15:55 pm
No possibility of taking mini fingerboard or rock rings style things? If not then expect to take a month or so to get back into decent shape..

Don't think so, hopefully ill find a mini edge or something to train on. Will be more determined to find one now you've said that,was worried that would be likely to happen!
Whats easiest way to at least try and reduce the dip in form? Little bit of everything most days?

abarro81

• forum hero
#4 Re: Training with no climbing
June 20, 2014, 05:52:13 pm
No sure.
Don't get fat.  (what I usually do if I rest, go on non climbing trip or whatever). In fact, developing a mild eating disorder or intense bout of food poisoning could be a good look.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#5 Re: Training with no climbing
June 20, 2014, 06:11:49 pm
If you're going away working and this isn't going to be a regular thing I'd take it as a rest month and just do general stuff, non climbing, about twice a wk. Give your body a break, it'll only take two wks tops to get back to current form then you'll be psyched out of your mind

tomtom

• forum hero
#6 Re: Training with no climbing
June 20, 2014, 08:26:55 pm

No sure.
Don't get fat.  (what I usually do if I rest, go on non climbing trip or whatever). In fact, developing a mild eating disorder or intense bout of food poisoning could be a good look.

Yup. Keeping weight off is often the toughest thing about going away.

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#7 Re: Training with no climbing
June 21, 2014, 11:21:11 am
All this talk of getting fat and weak has made me nervous   :o

First job is tracking down a tiny edge !

Cheers for help guys

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#8 Re: Training with no climbing
June 21, 2014, 11:34:51 am
Do uphill sprints!

kelvin

• forum hero
#9 Re: Training with no climbing
June 21, 2014, 04:41:53 pm
Do uphill sprints!

You cruel, cruel man.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#10 Re: Training with no climbing
June 21, 2014, 05:15:10 pm
Will you have access to a gym?

"Careful" overtraining in your last week might help?  quite often do that before going offshore - climb every day for the last week. Then your first week away is really just recovery.

If you can go to the gym - heavy finger curls.

will_s87

• regular
#11 Re: Training with no climbing
July 13, 2014, 10:58:45 am
Door frames are normally a good source of edge, take a bit of sand paper and put a bit of a radius on it, and then tipex it back to its original colour.

quejada

• player
#12 Re: Training with no climbing
August 27, 2014, 02:26:57 pm
here are my 2 cents. maybe it'll sound ridiculous but hey, maybe not: you could try to focus on training pinches and good half-crimps by getting yourself a small piece of wood, file it down and sandpaper it till it's soft and gentle on the skin, drill a hole in in and with a bit of webbing and a carabiner (and some weight, like some luggage, or even a bungee cord under your foot) you can train pinches, or if you manage also good size crimps for that matters. on the same principle, maybe if you get a bit of sling you could train using less weight but doing 1 finger at the time...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal