UKBouldering.com

Building Walls & Liability (Read 2428 times)

cattclan

Building Walls & Liability
June 17, 2014, 09:35:40 pm
Hi - hope you can help...

I am a keen climber and also not bad with the old hammer and screw driver - so much so that a friend of mine who runs a low key gym facility (we are talking in a converted farm building (although pretty decent!), has asked if I will design and build a relatively small climbing/bouldering wall/area, with the aim of him expanding the options he offers at the facility.

I understand he has public liability for the current equipment he has on offer (ranging from free weights, a number of weight machines and so on) but I am unsure if this would cover the use of any 'set up' I would build for him.

Does anyone know, or have thoughts on the following:

If I built this would I need any insurance for its use thereafter? What if it collapsed 6 months down the line (whether due to shoddy workmanship (I think not!) or the facilities it was built within being of not great 'waterproof' protection?)
If someone fell off the wall 3 months down the line and hurt themselves (no fault of the wall) would I be liable as I originally built it - or the owner as its within his facility?

Lastly if the wall itself was likely to only be used by a few people - mainly me! but also a few mates - and people didnt pay anything for using it would I/we have to get any insurance at all or just either get the odd person to sign a waiver or simply say use at your own risk?

Any help appreciated on the topic

Steve R

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Building Walls & Liability
June 17, 2014, 10:00:12 pm
Get on with it

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#2 Re: Building Walls & Liability
June 17, 2014, 10:52:40 pm
Well, can't give you an air tight legal opinion, but...

I designed and built my own commercial wall.

Drop me an e-mail address by pm and I'll send you a copy of the EU standard on PDF.

Insurance would be in the ball park of the operator. Your liability would be restricted to (usually) 10 x the fee you charged, so no fee, no liability (not a legal opinion).
EXCEPT! In the case of criminal negligence! Nothing can indemnify you against that.
If you follow the standards, between you, ensure that the materials are up to scratch and fixings adequate and installed 100% as per manufacturers specs, you should be safe.

Any engineering background?

I like to use Autodesk Force Effect to calc the statics within each section of structure, using the parameters laid out in the specs (Autodesk do a great tutorial for it). It's available for iCrap in the App Store, not sure about Android, but I guess so.

A very useful 3d modelling tool, open source, is SketchUp. Easy to master even without previous CAD experience.

Just do it.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
#3 Re: Building Walls & Liability
June 18, 2014, 09:35:21 am
'Drop me an e-mail address by pm and I'll send you a copy of the EU standard on PDF'
Hi Matt could you send me a copy as well if l PM you. thanks dave

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#4 Re: Building Walls & Liability
June 18, 2014, 12:55:05 pm
Yep. ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#5 Re: Building Walls & Liability
June 18, 2014, 01:02:39 pm
'Drop me an e-mail address by pm and I'll send you a copy of the EU standard on PDF'

By this I assume you're talking about the standard that sets out things like the proximity, height and matting requirements of walls rather than the EU standards for any kind of structural design?

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6 Re: Building Walls & Liability
June 18, 2014, 02:49:26 pm

By this I assume you're talking about the standard that sets out things like the proximity, height and matting requirements of walls rather than the EU standards for any kind of structural design?
Actually, that's set out in annex A and B.

But to be clear I'm offering lend the information to a friend, temporarily, so that that friend may understand the types of issues they will have to consider when building a bouldering wall. I will in no way make a copy of the document or breach any copyright...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#7 Re: Building Walls & Liability
June 18, 2014, 02:51:43 pm
And any structural design should be carried out or certified by a competent Engineer.

I'd also recommend the BMC publication for clarity on layout and operation.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal