UKBouldering.com

Calories burnt per hour - Averages (Read 8483 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
One of the primary reasons I exercise as much as I do is so I can eat pretty much what I like. The days of ridiculous dieting to keep my weight down for climbing are long gone, thankfully.

Fadanoid

• addict
I completely agree, I am surprised at the amount of calories burnt, but two things; firstly, I have, i think a pretty quick heart rate both at rest but particularly when exercising. It's not uncommon during fell races for me to average over 175 and to peak at around 190. I know the 220 minus age is junk but still, for a reasonably fit 40 year old, thats still pretty high.

If you also look at the log, I am resting no more than about 2 minutes between each attempt, which again I think is reasonably short. In part this is because I tend to climb there on my own so not working problems with a group.

You are right though, compared to proper aerobic exercise, climbing can be (for me at least) pretty sedentary.

Thanks for putting sharing this info. I won't claim that i burn the same calories per hour as you, but by the description of that workout, your age etc I could use these results as a very rough guide to an amount I could be burning per hour.
I might have to invest in or find a pal that has one of these devices.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
No problem, if you do end up buying make sure you get one which gives you details HRM data back, i.e. a full log and not just an average. my first one i bought whilst giving you real time (on your wrist) HR data, didn't log it as such, it just gave the average and peak at the end of the session, so not that helpful. Though, if all you want is that and it to give a calorie burn estimate, then they certainly work out a lot cheaper. I had the Suunto M5 I think for that, found it on offer at Go Outdoors at the time.

Finally, if you want to make comparative estimates, weight also plays a big factor, I am currently around 11st 6, so that may help hone your guesswork.

Fadanoid

• addict
We could be 'very nearly the same weight' twins.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
We could be 'very nearly the same weight' twins.
that's only my weight when I cut back on the pizza and wine (which is at the moment thankfully)  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal