UKBouldering.com

ac joint dislocation (Read 1422 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
ac joint dislocation
June 09, 2014, 01:31:06 pm
I took a bit of a spill and have managed to dislocate my ac joint (or torn my ac ligament - not sure on the nuances tbh). Currently in a sling and have a follow up appointment tomorrow. Its extremely painful to move my arm, especially if I try to move it across my body. I'm hearing different things about recovery so if anyone has any experience of this then I'd appreciate input.

Should I be wearing the sling all day trying to keep my arm/shoulder immobilised? What recovery should I expect and when? I saw Mick Hannah had done the same thing and he said in an interview that he expects to be out for 4-6 weeks...

Thanks

a dense loner

• forum hero
#1 Re: ac joint dislocation
June 09, 2014, 02:02:26 pm
Shit news uncle  :(
this is the main reason I've not got a bike or motorbike. Far more dangerous than climbing!
Hope it goes well

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: ac joint dislocation
June 09, 2014, 05:08:25 pm
Bad news beast. Heal soon.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3 Re: ac joint dislocation
June 10, 2014, 11:04:58 pm
Sorry to hear this, it'll fix fully but it's not trivial.

I did this in 2009 big time, went flying on an icy pavement.  Recovery in my case was measured in months. It all depends on the degree of tearing of the ligament. The ligaments attach the clavicle to the acromion, that flat  bit of the scapula at the outer edge of your shoulder. Your arm is basically suspended under that.

I'm no physio but I'd keep that arm supported while it's acutely sore. You've torn fibres, give them a chance to begin healing.  I can't remember exactly how long, it was maybe a week or two for me but your injury will be unique to you.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but as much as it hurt (!!) it got completely better. I went to see a physio who was ex rugby league - a common injury in that sport. Lots of theraband exercises once acute phase was over and some stretching to keep mobile.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 11:17:56 pm by mrjonathanr »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal