UKBouldering.com

Periodisation try-out (Read 2261 times)

french erick

• regular
Periodisation try-out
May 23, 2014, 07:55:12 am
So that's me trying to periodise:
Just completed my 1st phase of 5 weeks of endurance...and I have made gains but not as much as I thought I would (even with being realistic).
2 thoughts spring to mind:
1) I must train in a better way
2) Should I move on to next phase (power) despite being disappointed in the first phase? Or should I prolong phase 1?

Training to peak in October for a trip. Mainly train on homewall (really hard to get anywhere else reliably)

Any suggestion/comments?

bendavison

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Periodisation try-out
May 23, 2014, 08:31:07 am
I'm a periodisation newby myself too, so not sure what to suggest. But it might be helpful to others if you outline the plan up until October and tell us what kind of trip it is (routes/boulder, style, etc). I do find it pretty surprising that you made little gains in a 5 week endurance phase; what exactly were you doing?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 08:44:27 am by bendavison »

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Periodisation try-out
May 23, 2014, 12:18:57 pm
Just completed my 1st phase of 5 weeks of endurance...and I have made gains but not as much as I thought I would (even with being realistic).

you've read the "Energy Systems Shizzle" by Barrows (more to the point the adaption periods for each energy system)?

french erick

• regular
#3 Re: Periodisation try-out
May 23, 2014, 12:39:54 pm
To Ben: I have made gains. Not as much as I thought. Mostly circuits of 20+ moves lapped or timed on wall up to 5min with no more than 3min rests in between (any holds but avoid repetition). My homewall has a full plysheet at 45, 1mx1m80 30, a full plysheet x1m80 5degree, a 2x2m60 vertical and a fairly narrow but long roof sections. All with cracks (which I train alongside as 1 session a week). I can mix it up fairly well. Access to other climbing is limited at the moment but I'll get on rock twice a month minimum.

For the bigger plan: It has to be fairly flexible -and I left a couple of weeks in excess- since my second child is supposed to be delivered in August (ParcelForce :shrug:). I thought I would do 4 weeks of power, than 3 weeks of power endurance, then baby and some fingerboard snatched sessions (sorry rest). I would start back. October is loosely thrown in, as I have teacher's holidays.

To Paul: I haven't read that and will try it. Having never trained before, I find it is not that easy to read stuff and find what will help me.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#4 Re: Periodisation try-out
May 23, 2014, 04:19:31 pm

you've read the "Energy Systems Shizzle" by Barrows (more to the point the adaption periods for each energy system)?
:agree:

Well worth the read and it shouldn't be too hard to understand. Should help you to understand the reason for using different length periods in your periodization.

french erick

• regular
#5 Re: Periodisation try-out
May 24, 2014, 02:24:58 pm
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-40C59n2E_4aVRyYjY5U1Rtc2c/edit
That one? Seems really good. I need to digest that before it all comes clear though. I think I belong to the thicko camp :slap:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal