• http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Livesey Book
May 21, 2014, 12:39:44 pm

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Livesey Book
May 21, 2014, 01:04:56 pm
Received my copy the other day. Good so far but only read the first three or for stories. The best of which was an article by Livesy. Looking forward to reading the rest.

With noting that any profit is going to charity (Leeds heart centre I think but can't remember exactly and don't have the book with me to check).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2 Re: Livesey Book
June 22, 2014, 10:06:01 am
Finished reading this last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The best pieces were articles by Livesey himself as I wrote earlier, but the story about sneaking into the show caves was hilarious.

The appendix has a great article on training from High 24 (November 1984) called You Too Can Have a Body Like Mine that is great.  Near the start...

Wherever we finally take a stance it should be said that although trning may be  part of climbing, it must never be a compulsory or an essential pat.

He goes on to break down training into three areas, including psychological, making the point that training should be specific to the goal (bouldering is not going to get you up mountain routes), and that the biggest gains, and greatest benefits can be obtained by working weaknesses.  Not masses of depth or specificity...

I haven't prescribed any training schedules because these must be individually tailored to the needs of each climber, so that any specific aspect of a specific activity can be improved upon.

Many would probably consider this to be common sense in light of what people know and do these days, but it was fairly new then.

I'd recommend the book as its funny, entertaining and insightful.

Pebblespanker

• stalker
  • Old, grey and weak as a kitten
#3 Re: Livesey Book
July 04, 2014, 08:50:13 am
Has the book got the stories about abseiling into caves on fence/barbed wire, selling a jouralists blood to pay for the petrol home from a foreign trip, a female hitchhiker who pays her way in sex and hashish - caving trip to Greece I think they all happen on?? Would love to read them again as I remember them from the articles in the mags in the old days pre High/On The Edge etc.

Thanks

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Livesey Book
July 04, 2014, 08:57:52 am
Has the book got the stories about abseiling into caves on fence/barbed wire, selling a jouralists blood to pay for the petrol home from a foreign trip, a female hitchhiker who pays her way in sex and hashish - caving trip to Greece I think they all happen on?? Would love to read them again as I remember them from the articles in the mags in the old days pre High/On The Edge etc.

Thanks

Check on all but the first, don't recall reading about abseiling into caves using barbed wire.

Most of the others have been scanned and posted to the Quality Chuffing articles thread or similar though.

Here's the one about caving in Greece with the blood selling/female hitchiker...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal