UKBouldering.com

Leeds Eating Places - Only good shit yeah. (Read 6783 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Going to Leeds on Friday to see Prince (YYFY!!) and we were thinking of getting there early and grabbing something to eat first.

So where is good near the train station or on the way to the Arena (First Direct)? Need somewhere open early doors (5 ish). No real preference as to type of food or establishment (a good pub is cool).

I trust UKB more than Tripadvisor etc. Cheers word.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I really enjoyed reds BBQ http://truebarbecue.com
but ttt said he found it not as good as another similar place

Stubbs

Japanese noodles: Fuji Hiro, Merrion centre, looks just like a cafe but amazing food.
Sushi/noodles: Little Tokyo, Central Road. Huge range of Japanese foods, good sashimi and sushi (apparently)
Curry: Hansas North Street. Gujarati vegetarian curries, not your standard curry place! Check their website to get an idea of their menu.
MEAT: Friends of Ham. Near the station, quite hipster, amazing beers and big plates of various pig products.
Meat/cheese boards and pies: North Bar, New Briggate. One of the first craft beer places in the UK with a vast beer selection, pretty sure they still do pies or platters of bread, meat and cheese.

If none if them sounds suitable I will think of some more

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Sushi/noodles: Little Tokyo, Central Road. Huge range of Japanese foods, good sashimi and sushi (apparently)

+1 if it's still the same as it was a few years ago - I used to really love the bento boxes (though I admit I'm a sucker for Japanese culture).

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Round that way, I'd be looking at Fuji Hiro (probably my favourite Leeds eating spot...have in the past driven there from York just for dinner).

Also, there's a great gastropub next to Hansa's called The Reliance. Absolutely top place, great food (if a bit pricier than Fuji) and if you're lucky they'll have (UKB-member brewed) Sunbeam Ales on tap.

I'd go to either of those and then have a beer or two in North Bar. In fact, if you need someone to, errrm, help talk you through the menu I believe I may be free Fri eve!

Absolutely don't follow the hordes to the chain Italians (Prezzo, Zizzi) in The Light shopping centre!

Hit me on the DM if you need owt else word.

Stubbs

I'll second Reliance (not sure how I forgot, I was there yesterday!) great food, well sourced ingredients and good beer!

If you do want Italian it pains me to admit that Jamies is actually good (even though I can't stand him).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Nice one chaps.

tomtom

• forum hero
We now expect you to sample each one, write a two sentence report for each - and then post a picture of yourself looking like Mr Creosote :)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
One of my favourite trips both last year and the year before was to pop over and have a session at city bloc, then a session at North bar with it's amazing beer menu! Was quite keen to try http://truebarbecue.com but never got round to it. Anyone been?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Yeah Grubes recommended it in the first reply on the thread......

tommytwotone

• forum hero
I have, it is mega-popular (might be what put me off) but I wasn't that impressed. There are many better options for modern 'dirty burger' stuff such as Belgrave Music Hall and Nation Of Shopkeepers. In fact, apparently there's a Meat Liquor opening soon, that's one to look out for.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Ah cheers. somehow managed to read the thread and not that post!

Will definitely have to eat out on a trip back the the pool soon, it's a bit thin on the ground over in maenan/llandudno. Good Indian in llanwrst though :)

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
My vegetarian girlfriend took me :)
Thankfully she had been with work and liked the veggie options

Found this on my twitter

Pit burger and chocolate milkshake from reds

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Milkshake in a "retro" milk bottle...urgh. #hipsterwank

Anyway - interesting that this popped up in today's Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/may/20/top-1-budget-restaurants-bars-cafes-leeds?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
reliance and north bar are okay, but you can't go wrong with art's cafe:

http://www.artscafebar.com/

Paul B

• forum hero

I ended up eating here one Fri night a few weeks ago when the traffic news reported the M1 was closed South bound. To be honest I enjoyed it but Nat was convinced it wasn't as good as Smoke BBQ Sheffield (her ribs didn't seem to be). I'm not sure I'm a fan of bringing the gluttony aspect of North American cuisine to the UK either, even if it did make me feel like I was back in Bishop if only for a short while!

On Wed I ended up in Hansas as North Bar was heaving. I was fairly impressed with the starters although if you don't like it hot you'd have been out of luck. With this in mind I was looking forward to the rest of the meal but the mains (and deserts) seemed fairly one dimensional to me (we all shared a number of dishes)? I don't think this was purely because they lacked meat, they seemed to lack any real flavour at all (and had none of the heat of the starters).

That said, the bill for four was incredibly reasonable.

I'm going to try and work my way through that Guardian article during my lunch breaks.  :coffee:

tommytwotone

• forum hero

I ended up eating here one Fri night a few weeks ago when the traffic news reported the M1 was closed South bound. To be honest I enjoyed it but Nat was convinced it wasn't as good as Smoke BBQ Sheffield (her ribs didn't seem to be). I'm not sure I'm a fan of bringing the gluttony aspect of North American cuisine to the UK either, even if it did make me feel like I was back in Bishop if only for a short while!

On Wed I ended up in Hansas as North Bar was heaving. I was fairly impressed with the starters although if you don't like it hot you'd have been out of luck. With this in mind I was looking forward to the rest of the meal but the mains (and deserts) seemed fairly one dimensional to me (we all shared a number of dishes)? I don't think this was purely because they lacked meat, they seemed to lack any real flavour at all (and had none of the heat of the starters).

That said, the bill for four was incredibly reasonable.

I'm going to try and work my way through that Guardian article during my lunch breaks.  :coffee:

If you fancy a trip to Bottega Milanese give me a shout, I'm only 5 minutes away...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal