UKBouldering.com

dslr question for those with children. (Read 4009 times)

Fj

• menacing presence
dslr question for those with children.
May 13, 2014, 07:39:14 pm
since junior was born a month ago i've been pondering if i'd be better off trading in my d7000 and lens's for a smaller bridge camera, which i'd be much more likely to take out with me.

i know its a prime time to be taking photos at home, but whats other peoples experience been with getting out and about, have you regularly taken out a dslr with a bunch of lenses plus child, changing back, push chairs etc?

I've been looking at the fuji x100 which is comparible to my current set up with the stock 35 1.8 lens and still has the manual controls to play around a bit.

perhaps i'm just spending too much time on the internet now whilst holding the baby, but penny for your thoughts?

Paul B

• forum hero
I can't help with the kids bit but I have a Fuji X100s and whilst it's a great camera, it can be truly frustrating (and some of these things have been improved in the S version). Please note this is just my opinion and my experiences, a lot of it could/is user error/ignorance.

My biggest headache is focussing. Regardless of what I've read and heard elsewhere these cameras aren't close to focussing as rapidly as a DSLR, and (IMO) they're not reliable as to what they lock onto. Focus-peaking is included but some bright spark decided this would be best done in white so it's extremely hard to see (and if you've got it shooting B+W Jpeg then you simply won't see it). This results in 'missing' shots.

My second biggest headache is framing. If you've been used to focus and recompose with a DSLR then the hybrid viewfinder takes some getting used to. Sure, there's a corrected AF frame to show you what you'll actually get in shot and the focus zoning box will shift too but that shift can often mean that your subject isn't in focus and some part of the background is. Tis IS user error, but I'm finding it hard to break out of the habit (without close examination you won't see this on the camera-screen).

If you're considering an X100/s then I'd suggest spending as much time as you can playing around with the focussing systems. Using it all-manually is truly great fun but maybe if I was hoping to snap meaningful pictures of my family I might get a little bit frustrated by the hit and miss nature of doing so.

Apart from that, I love it. For what I wanted it for, travel, it's great and the image quality (IQ) and straight out of camera (SOOC) jpegs hold their own.

Failing all of the above, the best camera is the one you have on you. There's a lot to be said for having a phone with a decent camera built in.

dave

Get a decent micro 4/3rds, no problems with fast focussing with the right lenses, and lighter than a packet of babywipes. It was carting a DSLR around with a kid that put me onto m4/3rds and I've never looked back.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
I've got the same dilema, been thinking of selling my dslr and lenses and getting a good quality compact that will go in my pocket. The camera on my samsung S4 phone is pretty bloody good TBH but I would prefer to have a proper pocket sized camera

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
In my experience a potty straps onto a DSLR rucksack far better than a pouch for a micro 4/3rd!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I've got an 18-135 lens on my DSLR, which I use 90% of the time, and is fine for just about any snaps I want to take with kids no real need for any other kit. I just put it in a padded case and sling it over shoulder just about wherever I go, it's habitual. Any cheap P&S cameras always underwhelm me with quality, and I'm too tight to spend another wad of cash on anything more expensive.

Fj

• menacing presence
All thanks for the comments. Still not sure what I'll do but had a good chat with obi-wan yesterday which was helpful.

Think I'll go have a play with a couple of compacts in harrisons to see if its worth the swap

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
let me know how you get on

JK

• regular
#8 Re: dslr question for those with children.
September 20, 2014, 11:32:16 am
I'm in a similar position with a new baby and wondered if anyone had tried the canon 100d and what your thoughts are? Seems best of both worlds being relatively small whilst still being a dslr :-\

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: dslr question for those with children.
September 20, 2014, 03:19:46 pm
I'm in the same boat with a baby on the way and have decided to invest further in the micro four thirds system. Currently have an olympus e-pm1 with 14-42mm kit zoom, 40-150mm telephoto zoom as well as a panasonic 14mm f 2.5 pancake lens that makes the camera pocketable. I have used this camera much more than any dslr due to it being small enough to shove in a jacket pocket and also more than any point and shoot due to the much higher image quality.

I have just upgraded to a olympus e-pl5 body. This has same sensor as the highly acclaimed olympus om-d e-m5, it does without the evf and as many manual control dials however the body is considerably smaller (and cheaper!). With this body i have also invested in the olympus 45mm f1.8 portrait lens and am looking to purchase either the panasonic summilux 25mm f1.4 or the olympus 25mm f1.8. These lenses are both fast and should be useable in most situations without flash - i think this is probably going to be critical to not disturb the baby (or mother!). Overall i will have spent around £650 (buying some of the kit second hand) which is more than i would have liked however i figure this is a once a lifetime thing and i don't want to feel like i should have invested in equipment and missed out on great photos that will be memories for ever. Also i have convinced myself that the lenses should hold there value well and if i find myself not using a certain lens/focal length i can sell them on ebay only making a small loss.  Hope some of the above helps if you do decide that the micro four thirds system is right for you.

JK

• regular
#10 Re: dslr question for those with children.
September 20, 2014, 04:44:15 pm
That's really interesting, I'm a bit out of touch with cameras these days so didn't know much about the micro four thirds system. I think I need to get to a shop and have a play with some and see. I've got some good ish shots on my phone (samsung s4) already when out and about but like someone said earlier I would prefer a proper camera.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: dslr question for those with children.
September 22, 2014, 07:53:03 am
useable in most situations without flash - i think this is probably going to be critical to not disturb the baby

This is unlikely to be a problem btw. I've taken pics of ours with the flash when they are fast asleep and it never bothers them.

Probably worth sorting out your hard drive / storage space as you will go through loads of pics. And probably video too. Good luck!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal