UKBouldering.com

"Bicycle" technique? (Read 8134 times)

flyguy

• addict
Fair enough just thought there are too many variables to apply science to this and come up with a sure fire equation of how to apply the "bicycle".

as646

#26 Re: "Bicycle" technique?
May 08, 2014, 09:38:04 pm
I think I have your "scientific" solution, however it only works in the case of spherical climbers in a vacuum...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#27 Re: "Bicycle" technique?
May 09, 2014, 07:45:00 am
"Essentially, all models are wrong, but some are useful." - George E. P. Box Empirical Model-Building and Response Surfaces (1987)

Or a slightly longer version...

"Since all models are wrong the scientist cannot obtain a "correct" one by excessive elaboration. On the contrary following William of Occam [t]he[y] should seek an economical description of natural phenomena. Just as the ability to devise simple but evocative models is the signature of the great scientist so overelaboration and overparameterization is often the mark of mediocrity." - George E. P. Box Science and Statistics (1976)

benno

• menacing presence
#28 Re: "Bicycle" technique?
May 09, 2014, 04:53:49 pm
Agree with "it depends" as a general sentiment, but most of the time it's likely to be the toe-hook that you release first, surely? The whole point of bicycles (as far as I ever use them, correct me if I'm wrong here) is to take some weight on a toe-hook on a feature that's too poor/close to just hang the toe-hook off.

Well, unless you've just moved your hand to something further away so now the toe-hook is better... Does this mean it just depends? :p

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#29 Re: "Bicycle" technique?
May 09, 2014, 10:39:05 pm
That depends on it depending.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal