UKBouldering.com

Roadie tyre/inner tube recommendations (Read 4933 times)

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Roadie tyre/inner tube recommendations
April 24, 2014, 11:19:34 am
Hi Peeps,

I'm currently running some widish 26 x 300 Kenda tyres that came with my lower mid range aluminium bike.
They do actually give a comfy ride on the Peak district roads which are pretty knackered, but I'm wanting to upgrade to a thinner tyres (23). I'm not doing thousands of miles - I'm50-60 miles a week round the peak for fun, and so I want something:

that will help me go a bit quicker,
doesn;t cost the earth,
that isn't going to get knackered to quickly,
that still gives me a good bit of grip so I don't; fall off,
that can cope with some bumps,

Appreciate that no such tyre may exist  ;D

Same advice for an inner tube please.

Many thanks

webbo

• forum hero
Continental gran prix.

mr__j5

• menacing presence
  • Peter J
  • tall, bendy and weak
You say 26x, but normal roadie is 700x so are you on MTB wheels or is that just a mistake ?

On of the latest tyres of choice for the average rider is the Continental GP4000s 25mm.
Apparently it runs quicker than the 23mm but is more comfy.

I've used normal GP4000 for years and years in the Peak and rarely puncture and are certainly gripy enough.
They normally do me for about 3000km on the rear wheel more on the front, of course.

Evil

• addict
I guess everyone will have their favourite tyre  :worms:

But I'll add mine too. I've been using Bontrager Race Lite tyres for the last couple of years. Although they sound like they aren't going to be durable, they have been very puncture resistant, and the grip on them feels really good compared to similar tyres by other makes. They're also really cheap. Here's a better review - http://road.cc/content/review/8825-bontrager-race-lite-hardcase-700x25c-tyre

Dolly

• forum hero
+1 for Conti GP

north_country_boy

• junky
I have been using Michelin Pro4 Service Course for the last 18 months, which despite first impressions have been incredibly durable and puncture resistant. Good in the wet and great fast rolling resistance. It all really depends on the surfaces you are regularly riding on, but I imagine Peak roads are no worse than East/West Dunbartonshire and Stirlingshire....

Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone used latex tubes? Better puncture resistance? Worth the extra £££'s?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
If you're after an all round tyre for a 700c wheel I'd recommend a Continental GP Four Seasons. Not cheap but puncture resistant and brilliant in the wet.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-grand-prix-4-season-folding-road-tyre/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5300015886

Stubbs

GP four seasons for me too, although have only tried them, Gatorskins and some cheap Schwalbe previously.  I like the placebo of having some tread when I'm riding in the wet!

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
You say 26x, but normal roadie is 700x so are you on MTB wheels or is that just a mistake ?

On of the latest tyres of choice for the average rider is the Continental GP4000s 25mm.
Apparently it runs quicker than the 23mm but is more comfy.

I've used normal GP4000 for years and years in the Peak and rarely puncture and are certainly gripy enough.
They normally do me for about 3000km on the rear wheel more on the front, of course.

They are 300 x 26.
Thx to everyone for the advice. Looks like Continental a winner.

RobinB

• addict
+1 For Conti GP 4000. Go for the 4 Seasons if you want a bit more puncture resistance

Lopez

• stalker
I'm late to the party, but just to add my 2c about a couple of the suggestions above...

Bontrager Race-lites: I wore them for 2 years (lasting about a year each set) and had 1 puncture in that time which was sort of inevitable, as i got a small nail in the tyre. Somewhere close to 2k miles a year is my guess. They are surprisingly grippy in the wet for a threadless tyre, and roll quite nicely what with the double compound thingy.

Michelin Pro4: Bike got stolen and i bought another bike that came with these. They roll even nicer than the Bontragers and have given no issues with regards stick in the bends, but i've suffered 4 punctures within 2 months. (London riding, plenty of broken glass and shit on the road).

north_country_boy

• junky
So I have just bought a Mavic Ksyrium SLR WTS Wheelset. Anyone had any experience with the Yksion Pro Tyres they come with?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal