UKBouldering.com

mtb trail recommendations (Read 4079 times)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
mtb trail recommendations
April 23, 2014, 11:56:57 pm
Any personal  recommendations for mountain bike trail centres near Guildford, Plymouth, Bristol and Birmingham. Willing to travel 30 odd minutes. The more exciting the better. So far I've been to Lee quarry an gisburn forest and not died....

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#1 Re: mtb trail recommendations
April 24, 2014, 07:00:36 am
Cannock Chase trails near Birmingham are pretty good and enough to keep you busy for a full day. Good set up too with cafe and bike wash etc too. Can get really busy though.

Not sure about the other locations but Plymouth hosted a few World Cup events back in the day but doubt there will be any man made trails there and certainly no trail centre set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#2 Re: mtb trail recommendations
April 24, 2014, 07:46:54 am
Thanks bigtuboflard.

twoshoes

• regular
#3 Re: mtb trail recommendations
April 24, 2014, 08:01:16 am
Near Guildford you've got Swinley Forest (used to be awesome, now a still-pretty-good one-way loop, takes maybe an hour and a half). Down the M3 you've got the QEII country park, which is small but not bad. I've not been for a few years, so can't really comment. Personally, I'd head towards the Surrey Hills, park in Peaslake or Holmbury St Mary and explore the woods. You'll definitely get lost, but the area's laced with singletrack, including some techy stuff if that's what you want.

Plymouth: The nearest I know of is Haldon Forest near Exeter. Not bad at all. Not quite Gisburn, but good fun. There's a 'freeride' area if you want drops. Other options are the UK bike park over towards Portland, which is more downhill, less trail centre and Gawton at the other end of Dartmoor. Same sort of thing. Alternatively, get a map and go to Dartmoor itself. Start at Haytor and go east (probably my choice).

Bristol: Obviously Ashton Court/50-Acre Wood/Leigh Wood. All ok for a quick blast. Pay to cross the bridge to Wales and Cwmcarn is ace, as the the forest of Dean. Both have downhill runs (FoD probably more easily accessible) if you want techy. Best natural stuff is to go to the Quantocks (bit more than half an hour drive, but on the way to Plymouth...) which is effing awesome. Quantocks/Cwmcarn my choice.

Birmingham: what BTOL said

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#4 Re: mtb trail recommendations
April 24, 2014, 08:03:17 am
Bristol = Cwmcarn (Two great loops, technical and steep in places but nothing worse than a dark red) or Afan (a lifetimes riding)
Guildford = Swinley (fun half days riding not very technical, but still fun)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#5 Re: mtb trail recommendations
April 24, 2014, 08:14:59 am
Cheers guy's. Will look into them all. Does not need to be too techy as I'm a proper punter and seem to prefer well marked trails as staying in the saddle takes up all my concentration!!!

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#6 Re: mtb trail recommendations
April 24, 2014, 12:33:43 pm
 ;D  all the trails are pretty well marked at proper trailcentres and cwmcarn has a few signposts on the Cafall trail warning of iminent techie sections.  You'll be fine.  walk anything that scares ya.  nobody will mind as long as you dont block them.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: mtb trail recommendations
April 25, 2014, 10:15:49 pm
Cannock Chase trails near Birmingham are pretty good and enough to keep you busy for a full day. Good set up too with cafe and bike wash etc too. Can get really busy though.
Agree can become a bit of a nightmare at the weekend but if you can get there early on a weekday then it's great - I've been there on several Fridays where I've met <5 other riders on the trails.  Make sure you do both "Follow The Dog" and the "Monkey Trail" combo to get the best from the place.  Nothing particularly technical unless you do the black graded rock gardens (which are a bit cack/contrived really) but there's some really nice stuff that flows beautifully at speed  :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:31:31 pm by Bubba »

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#8 Re: mtb trail recommendations
May 06, 2014, 08:15:41 am
Will maybe check out peaslake on Thursday as its been mentioned to me a fee times.
What about around Sheffield, I'm dropping the misses off at awesome walls for her bmc masterclass and in the absence of no Climbing partner I may get out on the bike.
Wharncliffe came up on Google -Any good? Is the a mint circuit out in the Peak that everyone does?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#9 Re: mtb trail recommendations
May 06, 2014, 10:16:13 am
 :jab:
Will maybe check out peaslake on Thursday as its been mentioned to me a fee times.
What about around Sheffield, I'm dropping the misses off at awesome walls for her bmc masterclass and in the absence of no Climbing partner I may get out on the bike.
Wharncliffe came up on Google -Any good? Is the a mint circuit out in the Peak that everyone does?
In terms of pure trail centre type riding, Sheffield has got very little. Yes, there is some things in Greno and Wharncliffe woods, but not been there for a while since I moved house from that end of town. Wharncliffe has lots of downhill tracks to go at and some nice single track too along the top of the crag with a road ride back to the car park. Used to be my mid week loop.

There is also Parkwood Springs but it doesn't take long to do a lap (10 mins at most? Not great at judging time though) so might get bored. Nice track though and good place to kill a few hours, plus but a mere stones through from AW.

Peak District; where to start. To be honest there is so much good riding out here pretty much all of it is worth a go, plus there are lots of guide books covering the area. Hope is where a lot of people start but there is lots in Edale, Ladybower, and south Peak on the lime too, though don't know that area quite as well. Take your pick!

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#10 Re: mtb trail recommendations
May 06, 2014, 10:18:33 am
Forgot to mention too that I think the trails in Greno are closed at the moment in preparation for the Steel City Downhill. http://www.steelcitydh.com/2014/04/28/track-closures/

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#11 Re: mtb trail recommendations
May 06, 2014, 10:23:14 am
Good knowledge, think I'll head to the peak and see what happens!! Would buy a guide but only here for today and was a last minute idea.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#12 Re: mtb trail recommendations
May 06, 2014, 11:50:06 am
If going for a Peak classic, I'd park in Castleton just before Winnats Pass. Climb front of Mam Tor on the old broken road, then follow the road to Mam nick. From there follow the Rushup Edge BW until Chapel Gate track, and drop this in to Edale. From here you can then either road climb back up to Mam Tor or take the BW.

Either way aim for the BW that skirts the north west flank of Mam Tor to Hollins Cross. If you're flagging at this point drop right to eventually meet Hollowford Road. If you're still feeling fresh though drop left back in to Edale to Back Tor bridge. On the road turn right and then follow track past Clough farm, Jaggers Clough, right turn past Hope Cross and finally drop the roman road back in to Hope. From there it's about a 15 minute spin on flat roads back to Castleton. Phew. Enjoy  :)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#13 Re: mtb trail recommendations
May 06, 2014, 03:35:45 pm
That is the best rout IMHO.. There is tons more... But that one, in good weather is a real treat!

V graphic dark peak rail guide is well worth a purchase for the XC in the peak.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal