UKBouldering.com

Save the Otley Cafe petition... (Read 2600 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 22, 2014, 10:36:02 pm
Sorry but the fact that it only sold instant coffee and shit food meas that its passing should be celebrated.  Grindleford next, a fat racist nutter was not enough to sell shit food and his absence meas there's no longer even the comedy factor.

Sloper

• forum hero
#2 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 22, 2014, 10:42:24 pm
Anyone who wants to support a movement for change i.e. a place your actually want to visit should email the MP ad tell him just how shit the cafe was. i.e.  :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: in fact it was  :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit: :shit:

Stubbs

#3 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 22, 2014, 10:50:20 pm
A full list of places where one isn't likely to bump into you would be most appreciated sloper.

Sloper

• forum hero
#4 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 23, 2014, 09:18:49 am
Always happy to oblige.

1. The local vegan cafe, utterly disgraceful, they don't even let you bring your own bacon.
2. Lidl, utterly useless, no foie gras or truffles.
3. The Tor, this should need no explanation.

Places which I do frequent and therefore to be avoided like the plague.

4. The Climbing Works, I have to drop off the latest Tory Party newsletter to Mr A (top secret tory)
5. The Sheaf, the well known meeting place of the Sheffield Tories, although I wish more of them were out rather than trying to cover up by pretending to be left wing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 23, 2014, 09:56:30 am
Otley cafe was great. I did however think it was running on borrowed time the last few times I went.

There are still a couple of places in Hull to rival it's prices (went to one on Hedon road a while back) but they're few and far between.

Sloper

• forum hero
#6 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 23, 2014, 12:19:37 pm
Let's take off those rose tinted specs; in what way was it great?

Was it
The cheapest coffee?
The cheapest sausages & etc?
The stench of old oil?
The scuzzy nature of the whole place?

I have fond memories of The Stoney Cafe, Grindleford and Otley Cafe, but that doesn't make Otley great or its demolition a loss.

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 23, 2014, 12:36:13 pm
Let's take off those rose tinted specs; in what way was it great?

Was it
The cheapest coffee?
The cheapest sausages & etc?
The stench of old oil?
The scuzzy nature of the whole place?

I have fond memories of The Stoney Cafe, Grindleford and Otley Cafe, but that doesn't make Otley great or its demolition a loss.

It had all of those. Which in my mind make it great. No hipster bearded barrista's stroking out barrachito's or arranging blueberry muffins. No tofu stir fry or 7 bean chilli. Just BSE laced artery blocking stodge. Fantastic. It was impossible (I tried) to eat more than £5 worth of food from the place in one sitting.

On a Saturday or Sunday outside would be an eclectic mix of bikers, cyclists, tramps and hung over locals... Or on occasion the odd cafe creme equipped lawyer?? ;) It is part of the scenery for generations (yes generations) of cyclists and the odd climber.

Don't get me wrong - I wouldnt go there and pop out the laptop to work on a paper, or to contemplate the greater good of mankind. Yummy mummies with push chairs and painted nails would probably avoid the place like it was a leper colony - but that was part of its appeal. Not many places like that left.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#8 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 23, 2014, 04:41:52 pm
No yummy mummies + no barista = no great loss

The only negative of the new development going on this site as far as I can see is that they'll probably close the rat-run that misses out all the crappy traffic that tries to thread through that ridiculous excuse for a cross road(s?).

It's a private business, not a public facility. If they want to carry on trading they just need to move like anyone else. That's life.

flyguy

• addict
#9 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 23, 2014, 08:30:32 pm
I don't think they do want to carry on trading, I thought they sold it for a decent wedge. It's the regulars that want it kept open. I used to go a lot for my morning sandwich but stopped after getting food poisoning.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 23, 2014, 11:08:43 pm
Yeah fair point. I'm just having a gentrification grumble :(

Sloper

• forum hero
#11 Re: Save the Otley Cafe petition...
April 24, 2014, 07:50:56 am
I think it was Phil (I can't remember his brother's name) who died a few years ago, but yes as of two years ago it was still there, still as crap but without the owner's mental ill health to give the place 'character'.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal