Chain 'em to their ladders.

Sharks that is.

tomtom

• forum hero
#51 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 03:20:36 pm
Chain 'em to their ladders.

Sharks that is.

Yes, but its very important that ladder owners ensure they are correctly looked after at the crag. Not left strewn accross footpaths, clogging up other problems etc...

(Shark always ensured his ladder was safely tethered and provided with a bowl of water)

ardeer

• player
#52 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 04:27:50 pm
riiight, well to start with you cant leave a dog in the house on its own for 8 hours

What do you mean by can't ?

by cant i mean shouldnt.

rich d

• forum hero
#53 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 04:53:41 pm
You can use kids for removing other people's tick marks https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150440975701354&l=7fe42ea961

and for giving you beta on sandbags (5a's) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=29196356353&l=5fdd1e9c86

Dogs are shit at both of these things

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#54 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 05:37:58 pm
riiight, well to start with you cant leave a dog in the house on its own for 8 hours

What do you mean by can't ?

by cant i mean shouldnt.

Based on what? It depends on the dog. If they are content to be left on their own insofar as they don't show signs of anxiety chewing furniture etc then leaving them for 8 hours on occasion is not bad treatment.     

ardeer

• player
#55 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 06:04:43 pm
http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/factsheetsanddownloads/factsheettimeforadog05.pdf

hope that works as link if not im sure copy and paste will. im sure each owner and dog combo differs but ive always operated on four hours, owning a dog is clearly not for everbody!

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#56 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 06:13:29 pm
I have had a look at the RSPCA website and they are not so prescriptive.

8 hours every day would be bad practice but if your dog is content being left alone for that length of time on occasion why not. 

ardeer

• player
#57 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 06:31:50 pm
bladder and bowel requirements basically!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#58 Re: Dogs at Crags
April 24, 2014, 07:37:28 pm
I'd have to go with Shark on that one!
Our mutt is left at home when we head out to work (shortly after the school run) and often can't be arsed to drag her butt off the couch to say hello when we come home for lunch. She will pointedly turn her nose up at a lunch time trip to the garden if it's raining.
She is hyper mega super excited to see us in the evening (usually just after the school run).
Today though she's been left since just after the school run this morning until around 6:45pm. She was fast asleep. Casually stretched and yawned before the tail wagging kicked in!
She was far more interested in playing with the kids than voiding bladder or bowels and took some persuading to go out...

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#59 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 08:51:12 am
`Love me love my dog` can be a big ask.

tomtom

• forum hero
#60 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 09:31:08 am
what about uncontrolled sharks at the crag?

bellowing power screams and swearing; frightening all the tourists etc.

I blame the owners (agan)

I saw (20 min - I was hooked) the worst film I've probably ever saw last night...

Sharknado2....

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#61 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 09:48:50 am

Delightful crag dog. Peaceful, patient, quiet, would wander over to nearby climbers for a stroke (he got lots - big brown eyes) then just trot back and flop on the mats.

Edit: Rach on the left is his owner, hence the acceptable sandwich interest.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#62 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 12:45:14 pm
Fairly off-topic but I had to post it somewhere. If there is anything that is going to make me leave Canada it's anthropomorphism gone mad. Some of the comments are truly insane.

OTT for you. I could only find one anthromorpism and most of the comments seemed to suggest jail time was disproportionate. I would be hiding the kitchen knives if I had a son that had the characteristics of a Rottweiller / Husky cross.

tomtom

• forum hero
#63 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 01:17:01 pm
Yeah there are a scattering of sensible comments. But how far did you read down? - there are a vast number suggesting the woman should have got 6 years not 6 months. Plus lots of people describing their pets as "children". 

As to "anthropomorphism": to me the whole notion of handing out jail time, for what should just be a civil dispute involving mishandling people's property, implies elevating dogs to a near-human legal status.

What scares me is the extent to which this could effect someone in a self-defence situation involving dogs. James (6) had his arm bitten by a pit bull a few months ago. If that happens again, and I kill the dog in a rage, do I go to prison? My impression is that in Canada many people would think "yes".

Puts all non vegetarians in an interesting position! ;)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#64 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 01:52:59 pm
As to "anthropomorphism": to me the whole notion of handing out jail time, for what should just be a civil dispute involving mishandling people's property, implies elevating dogs to a near-human legal status.

What scares me is the extent to which this could effect someone in a self-defence situation involving dogs. James (6) had his arm bitten by a pit bull a few months ago. If that happens again, and I kill the dog in a rage, do I go to prison? My impression is that in Canada many people would think "yes".

Really sorry to hear that about James. I got bitten by an Alsation as a kid and was nervy of strange dogs for quite a while. Breeds like that which have form when it comes to attacking people should be outlawed as pets. Obviously with killing an animal there is a spectrum from cruelty, neglect, self defence to legal extermination. My understanding is that a farmer is within their rights to shoot an unsupervised dog on their land but a prison sentence can be doled out for cruelty.   

tomtom

• forum hero
#65 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 01:57:44 pm

Really sorry to hear that about James. I got bitten by an Alsation as a kid and was nervy of strange dogs for quite a while.

My father had is leg mauled by a farm dog when I was on his shoulders (aged 4 or 5) and I think that has shaped my general indifference/dislike of dogs... (which has faded over the years..)

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#66 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 02:50:26 pm

Sorry to hear that. What should happen, of course, is that the dog's owner goes to prison for assault with a deadly weapon.

tomtom

• forum hero
#67 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 02:54:37 pm

Sorry to hear that. What should happen, of course, is that the dog's owner goes to prison for assault with a deadly weapon.

Ah yes, but of course lovely well behaved Tyson doesnt normally do those things...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#68 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 03:33:20 pm
It's the 99% of dog owners that give the 1% a bad press.

I had a right go at a hipster twat who had his husky cross running around in the park last summer (yes lots of kids about etc) and it was *my problem* and the kids should just chill out and respect his rights etc etc etc

he's a message from the rest of the world to dog owners.  not everyone likes dogs and if your dog isn't on a lead and muzzled if it's a large / dangerous dog you're basically an antisocial cvnt.

andy_e

• forum hero
#69 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 03:37:24 pm
I (almost) agree with sloper here. I go for walks on my lunch break and dogs frequently run up to me and quite often jump up at me, with no form of apology or attempt to stop them from the owners. That, coupled with the discarded shit bags thrown into bushes or over hedges, makes me wonder if there are any responsible dog owners at all...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#70 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 04:21:59 pm
Often when I meet dogs out, the owners are quite careful and call their dogs back or shout them down if they try to jump up - at which point I usually say "no
it's fine" and encourage the dog because I'd be trying to pet it anyway.

Obviously it's a world of fucking difference between someone retaliating towards a dog that's just attacked a child, and someone letting several innocent dogs die through neglect - as le shark has rightly pointed out.

I didn't read further down the comments but I'd say 6 months is far too lenient yes.

Fiend (strict omnivore)

i.munro

• junky
#71 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 04:54:28 pm
I (almost) agree with sloper here.

Me too. I need to take a shower .. for about a year  .... in bleach.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#72 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 04:59:48 pm
It's the 99% of dog owners that give the 1% a bad press.

Did you mean to have your statistic this way round?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#73 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 07:51:01 pm
... I go for walks on my lunch break and dogs frequently run up to me and quite often jump up at me, with no form of apology or attempt to stop them from the owners.

I bet "he's never done that before" and (my favourite) "it's your fault for being nervous".

andy popp

• forum hero
#74 Re: Dogs at Crags
January 29, 2015, 07:54:14 pm
what should just be a civil dispute involving mishandling people's property, implies elevating dogs to a near-human legal status.

Except dogs, as well as being property, are also sentient creatures. If want to I can pile my all property up in a big heap and set fire to it., doesn't mean I can add my cats to the top of the bonfire. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal