UKBouldering.com

Conies Dale Access (Read 3745 times)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Conies Dale Access
April 19, 2014, 03:53:36 pm
Hi folks just wanted to bring to your attention that the farmers have been having some problems with walls being knocked over on the walk in to conies.

We went there yesterday to avoid the crowds and as we were walking along the crag side of the wall a young farm lad hurled abuse at us under the mistaken impression that we had crossed a wall without using a stile. I managed to calm him down ask what the problems had been and he replied using many vulgarities that people 'Like us' (I assume he meant people carrying pads) have been crossing the walls and knocking them over.

He explained that it's ok to cross the first field using the stile which is half way up the wall on the far side, then through the fence at the top of the hill in the second field before crossing at a stile which is in the bottom right hand corner of the third field as you approach it before walking along into the little valley.

He was very very upset by our presence as apparently they have had a lot of sheep escaping through these walls onto the crag side which they don't own.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#1 Re: Conies Dale Access
April 22, 2014, 12:14:36 pm
I've heard this before, the walls are crap will easily fall over if climbers are crossing them.

Is this the approach you describe?

This avoids climbing over any walls without stiles but does include crossing a fence.

conies by jamesofhighrepute, on Flickr

was the crag dry?

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#2 Re: Conies Dale Access
April 22, 2014, 06:58:35 pm
Good work repute that's exactly what I'm talking about. The young lad did mention the fence but it isn't on their land so he didn't seem too bothered about that.

The crag was pretty much bone dry apart from a couple of damp holds in the main break.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Re: Conies Dale Access
April 22, 2014, 07:45:19 pm
The only downside was it's shit?

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Conies Dale Access
April 22, 2014, 07:47:44 pm

Its not that bad actually... (said despite my loathing of all most peak lime)

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#5 Re: Conies Dale Access
April 22, 2014, 09:10:02 pm
It is by any globetrotting boulderers standards a bit pants. But given that you can go there on a bank holiday saturday and see no one else whilst still rock climbing in the sun it's the kind of shit I like.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#6 Re: Conies Dale Access
April 22, 2014, 10:57:51 pm
thanks for info moo.

Each to their own.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal