UKBouldering.com

Teesdale Area - alternatives to Goldsborough (Read 2951 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Staying in Middleton in Teesdale again this weekend and having climbed at Goldsborough quite a lot in the past I'm looking for alternative (more wife friendly) venues to try out in the area. Am aware of Sunny Brow and Crag Hill and given the recent dry weather (that looks set to continue) I'm hoping to try one or both of these venues out.

1. Has any one (Andy E, Fiend?) been to these and would they recommend them?
2. Any problems particularly worth trying?
3. Climbonline.co.uk mention that climbing was allowed at Crag Hill on a temporary basis from 2006 onwards but nothing on access since then. Has anyone had any hassle there?
4. How easy is it to find Sunny Brow and which approach would be best (from Goldsborough or the minor road between Cotherstone and Bowes)?

Thanks,

Si

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
LOL, I haven't explored quite that much up/down there! Sorry I honestly don't know, although Crag Willas (forgot it's alternate name) could be a nice option although it's a bit of a trek....

webbo

• forum hero
There are some up dated access rules to Crag hill in Steve Dunnings guide and Andy E has been as I've see a video of him there, might have been on Yorkshire grit.

webbo

• forum hero
You can't climb at Crag hill between Jan 1st and 30th April lambing season.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Cheers guys...

For some reason. I'd thought we were in May... Clearly not going to climb at Crag Hill then, which is a shame... Sunny Brow it is!!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
We had a great day with Lee from betaguides exploring at Duck Rocks:

http://www.betaguides.co.uk/bouldering-areas/england.html?location=Duck%20Boulders%20(Breckon%20Bank)&area=North%20York%20Moors&country=england

There are a few of the problems (inc. a few FAs) in the first 9 mins or so of this:

Don't think there's a guide or topo out yet, but to be honest you could just rock up and climb there - tons of great stuff at all grades, friendly landings, nothing too highball etc.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Thanks for that info Tom...

I can confirm that Sunny Brow is well worth a visit! Beautiful setting, good circuit of easy problems and a couple of harder bits and pieces here and there. Highly recommended....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal