UKBouldering.com

Winnats Pass accident (Read 3458 times)

SamT

• forum hero
Winnats Pass accident
April 15, 2014, 09:15:04 am

:(

Was turned round at Speedwell cavern on saturday as Winnats pass was essentially full of blue lights.  Helicopter parked in the field near by.

Turns out it was this...  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-27009530

I drove up there last night on my somewhere and there is a bike shaped hole punched through one of the walls at the side of the cattlegrid at the bottom.  Grim.

Seems the police are appealing for witnesses and have not proffered an explanation on any news releases. 

However, driving back down again, it appears to me as though she's been tonking down hill, possibly out of control due to crap/faulty brakes and has had nowhere to go when she arrived at the cattlegrid (cars coming up hill??) and has swerved to the right, possibly aiming for the better run off but not made it and hit the wall head on.  Must have been going some to smash a hole in a solid stone wall like that.   :no:

So folks, check your brakes and think twice on those big descents.

Palomides

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Winnats Pass accident
April 15, 2014, 02:47:24 pm
Someone on Singletrackworld was saying that her brakes failed, putting a foot down didn't do anything and she tried but failed to run up the banking.

Very sad.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Winnats Pass accident
April 15, 2014, 04:08:24 pm
Thats bad shit. Its a very fast descent, and thats terrible luck. Blue skies

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#3 Re: Winnats Pass accident
April 15, 2014, 09:48:20 pm
FUCK, remember seeing that hole in the wall yesterday as drove home from the peak thinking what had made that.
FUCK again

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Winnats Pass accident
April 16, 2014, 07:12:31 am
Grim and very sad. As you say a reminder to check your brakes and be careful

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal