UKBouldering.com

stanford cooling glove (Read 4656 times)

krymson

• obsessive maniac
stanford cooling glove
April 14, 2014, 06:56:36 pm
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html

i came across this a while ago but it's still relevant. A cooling glove lowers core temperatures quickly, improving sports performance. The test subject was able to do eliminate muscular fatigue after sets of pullups.

The reason it's a glove is that the hands have extensive networks of blood vessels near the surface of the skin which act as built in "radiators" when core temps are high

The reason to use a glove rather than dipping hands in ice water --the "radiators" activate only within a certain temperature range -- cool them too much too quickly and they vasoconstrict, therefore the glove cools but within the temperature sweet spot.

The implication for climbing could be that if you could bring this to the crag you could recover quickly and fully between attempts.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 14, 2014, 07:34:47 pm
It doesn't take a genius to work out why us bald blokes recover so quickly between attempts by simply managing our hat schedule

No, it's not cheating and neither is being of reasonable stature with proper length arms

as646

#2 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 14, 2014, 07:40:53 pm
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html

i came across this a while ago but it's still relevant. A cooling glove lowers core temperatures quickly, improving sports performance. The test subject was able to do eliminate muscular fatigue after sets of pullups.

The reason it's a glove is that the hands have extensive networks of blood vessels near the surface of the skin which act as built in "radiators" when core temps are high

The reason to use a glove rather than dipping hands in ice water --the "radiators" activate only within a certain temperature range -- cool them too much too quickly and they vasoconstrict, therefore the glove cools but within the temperature sweet spot.

The implication for climbing could be that if you could bring this to the crag you could recover quickly and fully between attempts.
Yeah, this is pretty old!

If you fancy a bit of DIY, here's some instructions on how to build your own: http://www.instructables.com/id/CoreControl-DIY/

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#3 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 06:48:02 am

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 08:33:07 am
so... bucket of ice water? about £10
Also keeps your beer cold

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 08:35:11 am

Do you carry the bucket, ice and water to the crag for free or is that extra?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 08:41:44 am
It doesn't take a genius to work out why us bald blokes recover so quickly between attempts by simply managing our hat schedule

Should I take a pair of clippers to the crag in case I need that extra oomf?

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#7 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 09:34:21 am

Do you carry the bucket, ice and water to the crag for free or is that extra?

depends on the crag I guess :)
Raven tor has such a long walk in compared to the cave so maybe it would cost a bit extra for there (£5) say?
Rubicon is even more so maybe £10 extra

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 10:15:48 am
bizarrely I read this first as Stanford Drooling Glove... :/

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 10:16:57 am
It doesn't take a genius to work out why us bald blokes recover so quickly between attempts

Been climbing better since the back sack and crack then? ;)

petejh

• forum hero
#10 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 15, 2014, 10:40:06 am

The info claims the combination of the vacuum to open up these certain capillaries plus the cooling lead to the lowering of the core temp. Studies have shown just cooling by itself doesn't offer any gains. Seems like some pretty legit science behind it and a decent amount of evidence showing performance gains - not another holographic bracelet.   :-\

Ties in with another thread where people were talking about the causes of muscle fatigue and how it's now thought fatigue isn't caused by lactic buildup as previously believed.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 16, 2014, 08:39:12 am

The info claims the combination of the vacuum to open up these certain capillaries plus the cooling lead to the lowering of the core temp. Studies have shown just cooling by itself doesn't offer any gains. Seems like some pretty legit science behind it and a decent amount of evidence showing performance gains - not another holographic bracelet.   :-\

Ties in with another thread where people were talking about the causes of muscle fatigue and how it's now thought fatigue isn't caused by lactic buildup as previously believed.

fair enough, I'd be interested to see if they did control vs. just vacuum? Not intentionally trying to sound like a dick just curious as to what their methods were (didn't have too much detail from what I read.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#12 Re: stanford cooling glove
April 17, 2014, 12:27:04 am
id think the icy cold hands from control would be a giveaway

but seriously i have noticed while doing the ice water treatment for finger injuries that if you get the temperature right- cold but not ice cold, and dunk your whole hand in not just your fingers, your hands stay warm from circulation but you end up with cold forearms. The problem is now your skin is junk from getting wet.

I guess surgical gloves could solve that, but then you've got to explain to your mates why you're giving a bucket of water a prostate exam.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal