UKBouldering.com

UKB Power Club Week 216 31st March - 6th April (Read 7628 times)

csl

• junky
Aims for April
Endurance sessions twice a week. 2/2
7c on Biscuit Circuit Board.
Sport climbing once.
E4/5 in Pembroke.

Mon - Biscuit
Circuit Board. Did 6b, 6c and 7a circuits. Did 4 reps of 7a. Had a very brief look at the 7c, but felt very powered out so only managed about 2 moves.
Tue - Rest
Wed - Biscuit
Lots of easier stuff on the comp wall, then tried two of the V8s. Not very much progress but did some hard moves.
Thu - Biscuit
AnCap on Circuit Board 12 moves x 10 reps w/ 3:1 rest to work ratio.
20 mins AeroCap - good intensity, 5-30 degrees, problems up to V3. Lots of shaking out.
Fri - Biscuit
Did a few of the V4-6 circuit onsight. Then had another look at the 7c on the circuit board. Did it in thirds, easier than i'd thought on monday.
Sat - Rest
Sun - Biscuit
Got 7c circuit in two halves.
Then did the Salmon V1-3 circuit, 30 problems in about 25 mins.

Good week with lots of training.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
STG- Normal middle fingers
2014 goals- 20 19 E-=points, 10 sport 7s, 10 boulder 7s

M- Rest.

T- Rest.

W- Rest. Poor show really- just feeling unmotivated after recent bad performances.

T- Notts Depot. Did 7a on the circuit board 3rd go, then did it twice more :strongbench:. Did some boulder problems then decided to get stuck into a hard (compared to what I've been doing for three months) one- "V5" on the steepest bit of the comp wall. Nearly did it. Felt fantastic to do hard climbing.

F- Rest.

S- Drove to Stanage for some traddy goodness but it started raining as soon as I drove past the Peak park entrance sign and was pissing it down in Hathersage. Having forgotten my phone I was unable to contact the mates I'd arranged to meet at the crag as well... Mooched round Millstone in the rain for a bit then drove back and went to the Depot gain. Did the 7a circuit again then did the steep V5 first go.  :dance1: Inspired, I flung myself at various other non-fingery problems of a similar level and did quite a few.

S- Bit of a walk around city parks.

Good indoor sessions this week- feels great to be trying hard again. Hopefully dry weather next weekend so I can use this confidence to succeed on some trad.

kelvin

• forum hero
Odd week.

Mon - Woke up with right shoulder and mid back locked solid. Off work.
Tue - Still not right. Off work.
Wed - Went work but rolling ceilings meant knackered by 3pm.
Thu - Went to the wall in the evening. No psyche in the boulder room. Got on a rope, did a 5+ and an overhanging 6a easily, then out of breath on a 6b. Back sore. Home.
Fri - Boulder room but couldn't breathe at all. Foot on campus. Big rail. 2min/2min/2min/2min with 4 min rests. Boulder.
Sat - Worked. Rest as sore still.
Sun - Worked. Boulder warm up but felt right good. Stuck to plan tho and did repeaters. 7 sets of 14 x 7/3 with foot on.

Never had my back play up - reckon I just overdid work and training, then didn't get enough sleep and ate badly. 7hrs at Robins Hood and Cratcliffe probably didn't help. Real issues with breathing later in the week, resorted to breathing in a bag at one point but think the fact I was working in a damp, spore ridden cellar for a couple of days brought that on.

On a positive note, the PE work is bringing some rewards.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
STG (Easter): 6c+ redpoint
MTG (Summer) Totenkirchl west face (Dülfer)
    (Autumn) 7a redpoint.
LTG (<= 5 years): Big alpine rock routes: Marmolada south face (Vinatzer-Messner)

Not much during the week: family stuff & pressure at work.

M:   Knee physio exercises
T: Knee physio exercises & mobility warm-up, kettlebell TGUs 2 x 1, 5 rounds of 15 swings, 10 goblet squats, 12 press-ups w/30 seconds rest. Core: planks front & side, reverse balances, windscreen wipers.
W:
T:
F: About an hour stretching/mobility/foam rolling/knee physio (40 minutes of which whilst watching Wide Boyz)
S: Climbing, Konstein. Got on a 6c+ that was totally not my style: steep/sidepulls/undercuts/body tension. Could do the moves, but doing the clips felt preposterous.
S: Bike ride 2 hours.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Thanks csl

11.3-5

M.
T. Malham. Up with Steve Mac, Paul Reeve, Dave Ides and Andy Cave. Warm. Pleasant when warming up (FEEE x 2) but got hotter. Oak had seepage so jumped on Predator and flailed in the sun. We all hung around on Catwalk and I had a nap. Oak dried out. Tim Emmet also on the Oak so extra psyche!. Worked it to warm up. First (decent) go got to touch horn. Felt good and light. Next go to horn and fell going for sloper again. Next go grabbed air in front of horn. Tim noticed I don't look up till last second which maybe why I repeatedly get it slightly wrong by not sighting it properly. Last go got to intermediate pinch by third bolt but greased off it. Rested then led to top or would have if last holds handnt startaed seeping again. Best session ever. Long day especially with extra light now clocks gone back.
W.   
T.
F.  Malham. Misty. Lots of seepage. Oak wet through. Warmup FEEE x2 and Consenting x1. 3 goes on crux section of Predator. Enjoyable session. Got a pretty good sequence now except for one move at the end 
S.
S. 

Was intending to do a fingerboard session today but a bit wiped out from manual labour all weekend and hungover from a party last night. Not too gutted about the Oak being wet as its been great getting stuck into Predator. Up on Tuesday and Friday again then off to Font next Saturday with my family and Joe Picalli's family. No particular aims just hope weather is good.

kelvin

• forum hero
Best session ever.

Good to hear that Shark - hope the weather plays ball this week for you.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Best session ever.

Good to hear that Shark - hope the weather plays ball this week for you.

Thanks. I'm surprisingly relaxed about it though.

JackAus

• junky
STG: Fingers, V7.
MTG: DWS project.
LTG: V11 in a session.

Weather is still ruining things....

M: Went to look at a bike couple hours away. Bag of nails. Waste of time and fuel...
T: Out bush cutting up firewood.
W: Only sunny day of the week and only day climbing this week... New/old area with only 1 line, a V12 done about 13 years ago... Heard a rumour about it a couple months ago and have been trying to track down the FA'er for info (doesn't climb anymore, no one is really in contact...). Finally got in contact with the guy a week or 2 ago and got the info. Really easy to get there, found the problem then started cleaning up a LOAD of new stuff... Some very good St Bees-esque sandstone bouldering on a wave platform... I think potential for maybe 50ish problems. Some big scary hard things too... I only managed to put up 3 new lines.
And on the drive out (in a national park that you have to pay to get in to), decided to have a look at another little cove. Found another area with easily 50+ problems... Another wave platform, more spread out but nowhere near as high as previous. Lots of worn boulders that reminded me of Burbage South field....
T: Looked at a bike in the AM. Bought it. Pick it up Sat morning. Work late.
F: Work late.
S: Pick up bike in morning and get out for a quick blast on it.... So fun... Work late.
S: Raining on and off all day.... Slothed around all day looking at my bike and the weather... Managed to get out for an hour ride in the arvo, only slightly wet.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
I havent posted up for the last two weeks.  Firstly I hurt my lower back (muscular thankfully) but not from climbing but from planting a huge bamboo :)  that stopped me climbing for a week and then I decided getting the woodie finished was more important than climbing.  crazy talk right?  but with twins due in 6-8 weeks I must get it finished or the climbing will be completely binned off for months!   :2thumbsup:

Anyway I'm down to 76/77kilos and this morning and managed to get back on the training to with a core101 session.  The STG is to finish the woodie once the T nuts arrive but also tonight I'm  going to the local wall.  Huzzah!

fried

• forum hero
Knee still not 100%, elbow still playing up.

Monday - Nothing
Tuesday - First session back indoors, trying not to fall indoors is depressing. Did a few 5min sessions on the exercise bike. Mah.
Wednesday - Friday - some theraband stuff
Saturday - Cooked curry for missus' friends.

In payment:-
Sunday - Apremont Bizons, though the weather was less sunny than expected, low, good landings and plenty of traverses. Did a good few oranges, but climbing with one eye on the landing zone put me in a stressed mood. Had a break the wandered off to Apremont and did some yellows to warm down. Knee'd had enough.

On the walk in to Bizons I'd spotted a big rock off to the right that I'd never noticed before, so I went to have a look. Found 3 new circuits (orange, blue, black) that had been opened last year. I'll be back to check them out soon. The area is Apremont Dames if anyone wants to climb something unpolished in the area.

YYFY - I've got a hole in my verdes, so I can now go and buy some pinks.

T_B

• forum hero
STG - maintain PE for short peak routes, plus keep power/strength up for lime bouldering during spring/summer.
MTG - get fit for on-sighting trip to Rodellar in early Oct.

84.3Kg

M - P.M. Fingerboard - 6 x 7 on front 3 and back 3, 3 x 6 x 7 on 15mm edge with 5 and 4 mins rest. Pull ups.   
T -
W - Lunch: 4 x 10 mins on, 5 mins off on Bleaustone wall. V pumped. P.M. Works, a few problems then circuit board. Managed Brown 8a, then did first 14 moves of Green 8b a few times. Tired.   
T -
F - 4 x 10 mins on, 5 mins off on and around the Board. Hard to maintain a constant pump level.   
S - V early f/board. Failed on 4 on front 3, 5 on back 3. Failed on second rep of 6 x 7 on 15m edge. Totally crap!
S - Works. Worked out 2 x 15 move burly travs on comp wall. Did about x 8 with roughly 3 min rests.

Lower back still sore, so no bouldering this week as I didn't want to fall off onto it. It is getting better, so I'll carry on with a similar mix this week. Interesting that my f/board sess on Saturday morning was so rubbish - probably still tired from Friday lunch. The double sess on Wednesday was a mistake really - though overall this week feels like it has shocked the system with a lot of volume at an easier level. Felt well good on Sunday. Still finding it hard getting the intensity right for AeroCap (too hard) and AnCap (too easy) circuits.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:43:20 am by T_B »

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
M - bike ride 12 miles on road on MTB, longer than I meant to, took a wrong turn
T - Nothing
W - Boudering session at wall - 2 1/2 hours, OK session, left good shoes at home, so climbed in floppies, struggled on heelhooks but OK otherwise.
T - 1/2 hour cardio
F - nothing
S - 2 hour surf session, lots of paddling, some great waves. Stoke of new board.
S - 11 miles on road on MTB

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I decided getting the woodie finished was more important than climbing.  crazy talk right?  but with twins due in 6-8 weeks I must get it finished or the climbing will be completely binned off for months!

Sounds like the right call in the circumstances. Better to lose two weeks training now than a year - I achieved my lifetime peak bodyweight about a year after my son was born.

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
STG: one armer every hold on my beastmaker 1K
MTG: 8A+
LTG: 8B-C??

M: Fingerboard did some one arm stuff
T: More fingerboard plus session at the wall, elbow hurt a little bit
W: Rest, some press ups for the elbow, felt better
T: Wall session, felt strong
F: Rest for rubicon
S: Rubicon, was greasy as and forgot a brush  :slap:, did dancing fish though YYFY!, used lanky beta so not sure if 8A but ah well don't mind too much
S: Rest and a bit of press ups

Pretty good week, still want to try to use the fingerboard more but it's getting there and seems to be improving

webbo

• forum hero
Mon. Nothing.
Tue. Bike 1 hr including 2 mins 2 mins off x 11.
Wed. Board struggled to get going, worked a couple of projects then repeated a few things.
Thu. Board 15 problem warm up, the 6 problems 5 times with screw ons for feet.
Fri. Nothing.
Sat. Board i had planned to go out but weather looked iffy. Big mirror session.
Sun. Board 15 problem warm up, the 6 problems 6 times but with bolt ons for feet. Bike 1 hr 45 mins, windy as shit.
Not a great week but lots of shit at work meant my head was all over the place.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
I decided getting the woodie finished was more important than climbing.  crazy talk right?  but with twins due in 6-8 weeks I must get it finished or the climbing will be completely binned off for months!

Sounds like the right call in the circumstances. Better to lose two weeks training now than a year - I achieved my lifetime peak bodyweight about a year after my son was born.

Thank you.  completely agree.  AND managed to get as far as putting the first panel on the wall, then ran out of T nuts.... more ordered, should have it finished by this weekend THEN I will start on Nursery build, for some reason the woodie was priority.   ;D  Reminds me i must ask the climbing collective a question about my wall.  will ask in training forum.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

S: Rubicon, was greasy as and forgot a brush  :slap:, did dancing fish though YYFY!, used lanky beta so not sure if 8A but ah well don't mind too much

:bow:

JohnM

• junky
66.6 kg

STG: Fisheye (Oliana)
MTG: Indian Summer (Kilnsey), hard mountain trad.
LTG: Hard multipitch sport/trad + big wall

Another mixed week.  My training seems to be wildly inconsistent at the moment and I can't quite put my finger on why.  As I use I use the same circuits to train on the difference from session to session is really noticeable.

Mon: Rest
Tues: AM - wanted to do 80 move circuits.  Last week I could do the 7c on the Biscuit Factory circuits board followed by 3 laps of the 7a+.  This week I could barely do the 7c in two halves or more than 2 laps of the 7a+.  What is going on!?  PM - Sacked off the PM session as I felt generally shit and wasted all day.
Wed: Rest
Thurs: AM - Similar to Tues AM although I could at least do the 7c once this time and a couple of laps of the 7a+.  PM - Did some bouldering and felt reasonably good.  Onsighted a 7c+ on the lead wall which is pretty good for me indoors and then did some 4x4s but failed on the sets I had completed the previous week.
Fri: Rest
Sat:  Mayfair Wall (The Orme) - Tried Masterclass.  Masterclass is one of those routes I jump on every so often with no serious intent and never end up getting it done as it is actually quite hard!  Had to work out a new sequence for the crux as the little left hand undercut I used to use has disintegrated.  Conditions were shit (warm and humid) and my skin was getting trashed so I binned if after one RP attempt.  Did Bloodsports and fell off the extension.  Worked out the moves but I was greasing off everything so jibbed it off.
Sun: Was meant to go Kilnsey/Malham but sacked it off as the weather looked gash.  Spent the day doing some work and grazing which isn't good for my weight loss plan for Spain!

Tapering off this week for Spain.  Hopefully a bit of rest and some light climbing will iron out my wildly inconsistent performance ready for Spain!

Duncan Disorderly

• Administrator
  • forum abuser
  • Stealth Punter
Goals: Regain psyche, not be too shit in Font @ Easter...

M: Works - New yellows, flashed lots, did the rest I tried in a few goes.. Felt good.
T: Nowt
W: Nowt
T: Works - More yellows finished off, despatched a few of the blacks that had me stumped last week.
F: Nowt
S: AM: 30+ Miles on the bike, forecast said no rain until 3, forecast was nonsense! Was glad I took a waterproof... Got the remnants of a chest infection/hayfever/polution cough type thing which made things tougher than usual... PM: Mini Works with family - Surprisingly good session, despatched nuff yellows and murples!
S: Shaff with kids - squeezed myself through kiddy caving things...  :slap:

Better week than I've had for a while - did lots.. Elbow is proving to be managable, back seems to have sorted itself out, starting to regain some strength and (more importantly) psyche... Really need to get some structure back into my training but am kinda just enjoying being able to get up stuff again without pain. Will probably just keep things going like this and re evaluate after Font.. Enjoyng the bike a bit too much stil but it's keeping the weight low... :whistle:

This week: More of the same...

:D

Evil

• addict

M - Ah back to work...16 miles cycle commute, evening fingerboarding and elbow exercises.
T - Cycle commute 16 miles total. Evening took the dog for a run - 3.5 miles in about 33 minutes.
W - Cycle commute 16 miles total. Evening routes at the wall - 6a, 6a+, 6b(all new), then a new 6c which took me 3 goes to do clean (despite almost being there on the first go), then tried a comp route (maybe 7a?), could do first 2/3rds, top bit no way, but that's often how comp routes go! Then 6b I've done before to finish.
T - Cycle commute 16 miles total.
F - Morning body weight circuit thing, evening bouldering - Did a couple of new problems in a roof set up to 1x V4. Then went to another set, tried the V4 from last weekend, but only managed to get up to the last move after a lot of tries, couldn't hold 2nd to last hold. My friend was trying a V7, so I tried that with her. We think it's not really V7, had some good moves though, got half of it done. Flashed another V4 to last move. This set seems to have a lot of last move issues...
S - Walking about 6 miles. Did a 1 hour yoga session at the wall, then had a quick 15 minutes of roof bouldering so I could flash long V3 and do first part of long V5.
S - Walking about 7 miles. Afternoon/evening boulder - warmed up then did a V4 after a few tries for one move. Got to same last move on other V4 and halfway again on dubious V7, then did some training on the board and a little campussing.

nik at work

• forum hero
STG - Something at the weekend
MTG - One armer BM shallow mono
LTG - 8c+

M - Dash to crag after kids bedtime to place a couple of belay anchors. Glue them in then heavens open grrrr... The BM session
T - Nowt
W - Get out, try very short bouldery project but top moves (the crux) wet. Only short but no gear and very poor landing, top moves could well be pretty hard. Also check belay anchors and it would seem the rain got to 'em so they are not 100%, I still used them to check out a couple of project lines but they need sorting out.
T - Nowt
F - Pop out briefly to try the top moves of Weds project but it it still seeping >:(
S - Daddy daycare and DIY
S - Number 1 sons 7th birthday, go to Ape Mann (high ropes through trees Go Ape-esque type of affair), kids have a great time. The centre also has some climbing holds strapped round a tree and my fastest ascent time from a previous visit is still un-bettered, woop woop

Middling sort of a week, the wet weather and seepage caused me grief. Hopefully get a bit more dryness this week. Heading over to the UK at the weekend so will be in the Peak Saturday and Probably Yorkshire area Sunday. :great:

Dolly

• forum hero
M Foundry. warm up then working a new project specific problem on the board. Pilates in the evening plus 8 mins on the treadmill afterwards
T Running outside for the first time since Boxing Day. Did 11 minutes on the grass and mud in Graves Park. Knee felt fine, couple of tweaks when I was running but just trod more carefully and went a little slower
W "Bad" knee felt fine, "good" knee ached and didnt feel right. Beastmaker at lunchtime then gym for core and aerobic in the evening. More running on the treadmill.
T Shed
F
S Shed again - bloody weather
S 15 mins running in the park this time - again seems OK

Pleased to be making some progress on the knee at long last.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
7A:    8/50
7A+:  5/40
7B:    1/30
7B+:  1/20
7C:    0/10

Stretches: 2/4 :( :(

Mon: Session at the Bunker. Set a problem to simulate Snatch at Stanage. Partly just for fun and partly 'cause I stand a chance of doing it. Getting sort of close...
Tues: Press-ups and maybe something else. My memory fails me.
Wed: Evening session at the Bunker. Did my simulation of Snatch! Feeling pretty psyched so end up beasting myself with core and press-ups. :)
Thurs: Rest day. Pretty busy with school.
Fri: Slackling, climbing and Beastmakering at the Bunker. Pretty chilled. Stretches.
Sat: Short board session in the evening and Beastmaker session.
Sun: Wanted to go outside but weather was  :wank: so ended up visiting the new boulder cave at Dart Rock. Feeling quite weak but tried a few hard problems. Stretches. Nice to know that despite not stretching much I haven't lost much flexibility.

Possibly the worst week of the year so far climbing wise. Training but not that much, and my elbow has been a little bit tweaky :/ Feeling fine now though so it's OK... Got a 10 day trip to Stanage / Peak planned and going Dartmoor on Tuesday so time to CRUSH.

Luke Owens

• forum hero
    • My Blog
Monday: Lunch Session:

12 Wide Grip Pull Ups
4 x 8 Uneven Grip Pull Ups

2 x 10 Standing Upright Rows (15kg)
2 x 10 Front Dumbbell Raises (15kg)
2 x 10 Dumbbell Rows (17.5kg)
2 x 10 Good Mornings (30kg)

3 x 10 Hanging Leg Raises
3 x 1Min Plank

Tuesday: Night Session at Pantymwyn Back on Firestarter, felt tired from the word go (yesterdays weights session?) Kept falling off the move to the spike, getting powered out after the hard start. Got sucked into trying different beta for that move by some people at the crag which tired me out further... I think I'll get it if I rest for it. Feel like I only have a handfull of good attempts per session on this.

Abs:
3 x 1 Min Front Plank
3 x 1 Min Side Plank (Left)
3 x 1 Min Side Plank (Right)

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Parisella's
Repeated Pillar Start Low as a warm up. Had attempts on RWT, Lip Service and Shothole start. Got some different beta for Shothole start but still feels nails. Hopefully get used to the cave one day...!

Friday: Rest

Saturday: Went up to Dinbren in the morning. Absolutely freezing, bailed and went to Ty Newedd, did "Black Wednesday" (7a+) 2nd go of the day. Felt a lot easier than when I was trying it last year.

Sunday: 15 min Aerocap Warmup

Deadhangs:
3 x 7 secs slopers
3 x 5 half crimp (30mm edge)

Aeropow - Feet on fingerboarding
Set 1 - 8 reps
Set 2 - 6 reps

Leveling off around 40secs (~35%)

Doylo

• forum hero
66.6 kg

Sat:  Mayfair Wall (The Orme) - Tried Masterclass.  Masterclass is one of those routes I jump on every so often with no serious intent and never end up getting it done as it is actually quite hard!  Had to work out a new sequence for the crux as the little left hand undercut I used to use has disintegrated.  Conditions were shit (warm and humid) and my skin was getting trashed so I binned if after one RP attempt.  Did Bloodsports and fell off the extension.  Worked out the moves but I was greasing off everything so jibbed it off.

Which undercut on Masterclass? Extension to Bloodsports being Cold Blood?

JohnM

• junky
There used to be a tiny bird beak undercut I could just get enough out of to use.  There is still something there but not enough and a bit of a scar.  Maybe I used it to get up into the flat left hand undercut I can't remember.  Either way this time I gastoned the lowest grozzly gaston and crossed over to the smooth higher sidepull and crossed over again into the hold below the next clip. 

No the easier 7c/7c+ route Ally did.  Really nice climbing into the hanging groove.  McClure had a really hard time onsighting it so I didn't feel too bad!

Doylo

• forum hero
McClure reckoned 7c+. Onsighted Blood Lust into Cold Blood too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal