UKBouldering.com

Long term shoulder problems (Read 9349 times)

fried

• forum hero
#25 Re: Long term shoulder problems
April 07, 2014, 07:11:18 pm
More circumstantial evidence..

About 5 years ago I restarted climbing again after a 15 year layoff (I only climbed for a couple of years in the first place), My first problem was an orange Font circuit mantel, and everything I've done since has been coloured by the problems that caused. It has/was never diagnosed.

I have slowly increased my climbing frequency, but every time I push too much my body reacts badly. I spent 2 years only being able to climb once a week. I did a long period of physio and the general consensus seems to be 'it's your body, you have to work out what you can do and stop when it doesn't'. I did loads of rows with light weights (still do if I remember) loads of light weight raises. I still get the occassional flair up but it's just a long slow process.

Read everything you can by 'sausage' on this site about shoulders.  Starting bouldering in your 40s is a recipe for pain.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#26 Re: Long term shoulder problems
April 07, 2014, 08:29:16 pm
Shurt, we know homeopathy is available on the NHS and we know that's total bollocks.

No one mentioned homeopathy. Apart from you.

Lund, I am over 35.

My issue is that medicine is sold to punters as some thing that will categorically fix you a lot of the time by doctors, surgeons and consultants. It's not real. I've learnt to look after and manage my injuries, of which I've a fair few, but that help hasn't come from a doctor. They gave me pills and injections which didn't help.

I'd personally look at other options available before getting steroids injected into your joints. Maybe that's just me.

I agree that reading a lot is good, theres no end of info on the web.

Sloper, on the subject of Medicine being an alloy of art and science etc. I think that the evidence base is often suspect and paid for by drugs companies so its not that cut and dried. If you've spent a lot of money developing a drug you'd be pretty interested in it passing the necessary tests so you can start recouping your investment. The placebo effect is really interesting too, theres been a lot of stuff around about it lately.
One example of something related:
 http://www.nhs.uk/news/2007/January08/Pages/Antidepressantsdontwork.aspx

I don't see what the problem is with taking what you can from as many different approaches as possible rather than following one in an almost religious way.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#27 Re: Long term shoulder problems
April 08, 2014, 09:39:02 pm
The point is that the evidential basis for osteopathy and chiropractry is I think it's fair to say not exactly overwhelming; and if you think 'traditional' (i.e. "rea"l aka properly qualified) medics have a perverse incentive to suggest treatments which are not likely to be beneficial then holy fuck look at the charlatans in the alternative world. . . "how many sessions will it take?" "well how many can you afford" is the only honest answer

Shoulders are compared to almost any other joint (I speak as one who reads a lot of medical reports) are prone to a wider range of symptomology and the idea that someone who isn't medically qualified and lacks diagnostic imagery can just 'manipulate' the cause of the symptoms away is as credible as believing in fairies at the bottom of the garden.

While the medicine previously prescribed might not have helped, it doesn't mean that there's not a recognised or surgical response that will.

Dr Goldacre has written extensively on the non publication of trials & etc and the links between prescribing medics and the deug companies, but to cite this in the face of the overwhelming evidence is like saying 1 bent cop = all cops are dodgy.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#28 Re: Long term shoulder problems
April 08, 2014, 10:22:02 pm
Physio's opinion: No tendonitis, pain in caused by pinching of the infraspinatus between the humoral head and acromium (what i suspected). Pinching is apparently due to bad posture and poor spatial control of left arm. Has given me a load of stretches and exercises to do to increase the volume of the subacromial space by changing the position of the humoral head and eventually strengthen the whole rotator cuff.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#29 Re: Long term shoulder problems
April 08, 2014, 10:49:30 pm

Dr Goldacre has written extensively on the non publication of trials & etc and the links between prescribing medics and the deug companies, but to cite this in the face of the overwhelming evidence is like saying 1 bent cop = all cops are dodgy.

To carry on this analogy I'm not suggesting all cops are bent. I'm suggesting that there are some bent cops that's all. Are you suggesting all cops aren't bent?

stupot

#30 Re: Long term shoulder problems
April 09, 2014, 09:04:18 am
Hi,

How the physio can say there is no tendonitis is beyond me?? Did they scan it?? Tendonitis is just inflammation of the tendon which is usually a result of the 'pinching', that or bursitis. The underlying cause may be bad posture etc. But for the physio to say there is no tendonitis is pretty clever. Did they mention bursitis?

Unfortunately the motion of putting your arms above your head ie. climbing, plastering reduces the subacromial space which the tendon runs through hence why it 'pinches' so it can end up being a vicious circle - an inflamed tendon will 'pinch' more causing more damage.

The exercises will help but climbing should be kept easy so as not to exacerbate the bursitis/tendonitis which I feel will undoubtedly be present to some degree but need an US scan for that. Personally I would carry on taking Vitamin I for it's anti inflammatory effect as well for a while.

From personal experience and from working with physio's I find some tend to have a 'God' complex and state things which they cannot prove and/or do not have the experience to back up their diagnosis.

Not all physio's are like this and if people have found one they trust then great but when was the last time you heard a physio say,"Actually I'm not sure what is causing your problem".

Bit like all the gait analysis crap that's going around at the moment but don't get me started on that.

bigironhorse

• junky
    • YouTube
#31 Re: Long term shoulder problems
April 09, 2014, 09:14:18 am
Yeah I'm on pretty good terms with this guy so I reckon he's given it his best assessment. I was just cutting short what he told me. When I said no tendonitis what I ment was no chronic inflammation (what most people class as tendonitis). Undoubtedly some level of acute inflammation caused by the pinching rather than chronic inflammation causing the pinching if you see what I mean.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal