UKBouldering.com

The GB Bouldering Team needs your help! (Read 25747 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
The GB Bouldering Team needs your help!
March 31, 2014, 03:22:17 pm
 An appeal from Mina...

Did you enjoy spurring on the GB Bouldering team in 2013? With Shauna’s sterling effort in 2012 and 2013, it will be exciting to see what she can produce this year…perhaps a World Cup win? Perhaps we will have a British World Champion in 2014? I also placed in the top 10 overall, knocking on the door of the finals…fingers crossed I’ll get in this year ! Will Leah be up there too? And in the men’s we have Nathan Phillips, fresh from winning European Junior Gold, how will he fare in his first year in the seniors alongside the likes of Dave Barrans and Stew Watson?

Here’s the catch……

Some of you may have heard about the GB Bouldering team’s recent loss of funding from one of its main sponsors. The original funding situation allowed us to send some climbers to some competitions, with a varying level of financial support. This support came from two places: the BMC and a financial sponsor.

The latter of the two has had financial problems of its own and has ceased trading, which means that they could not fulfil their side of the contract and the team budget for 2014 was suddenly cut in half. The team had already been told which competitions they had been selected for and how much funding they could expect through the team budget. This all had to be reversed, and has a direct impact on who will be able to attend the World Cups this year.

At the moment, we have Shauna, Nathan and myself lined up for the first few competitions and the hope is that we can raise some money to support us to get there and to help others to attend later World Cups.

This is where we need you. We have set up a Crowd Funding Project (see link) where people can, if they wish, contribute to the team’s funding. The project aims only to replace the amount lost (£8,000) and we have 8 weeks to do it. The Crowd Funder works on a donations/rewards basis so depending on what you donate, you will get something in return as a “thank you” from us.

The other catch is that if we don’t meet the target, we get nothing…..eek. So please, take a look and help us out if you can!

Here is the link:  http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/-Support-GB-Bouldering-at-World-Cups/

Mina
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:56:06 am by habrich, Reason: reformatted for the front page »

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
We've kicked it off with a £500 donation.

Best of luck to Mina and the team in hitting their financial and climbing targets.

psychomansam

• forum hero
The question is, who have you picked to coach you?  :whistle:

rich d

• forum hero
be interesting to see if the coaching finally gets you up the Oak.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

This one.

TBH I'm treating it more as a date than a coaching session

Three Nine

• forum hero
Fund the GB bouldering?  :lol:

I don't know what you heard about me
But a bitch can't get a dollar out of me

petejh

• forum hero
Nobody wad/smite, it's so apt!

webbo

• forum hero
Is 39 Denses love child.

petejh

• forum hero
39 cent

abarro81

• forum hero
39 percent body fat more like

tomtom

• forum hero
Is 39 Denses love child.

Can't be, uses upper and lower case ;)

boulderingbacon

• menacing presence
Tried to donate but PayPal link wasn't working  :shrug:

Lund

• obsessive maniac
It's working now.  So get to it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
So was Lonsdale the sponsor? Seems prominent on a lot of their gear?

Lund

• obsessive maniac

Isn't lonsdale a sub-brand of sports direct?  So not sure they can actually go bust, although sports direct could can it I suppose?

SA Chris

• forum hero
No idea of their financial setup, but it's the only prominent logo

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/the-british-senior-bouldering-team-need-your-support

Stubbs

Yes, according to Dave on UKC http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=583015&v=1#x7725298

namnok

• forum abuser
  • John May Lives

Isn't lonsdale a sub-brand of sports direct?  So not sure they can actually go bust, although sports direct could can it I suppose?

unsure of the ins and outs, but my best guess is that Sports Direct have licensed the brand name of Lonsdale out, and as we know unknown company has now gone bust.

As for the fundraising part of this, i'm all up for the British team and having them represent GB climbing/bouldering etc, I know fundrasing, in general, but on this instance to go to comps [on jollies around the world partly paid for by someone else] is hard and at times really difficult esp when during these finacailly tough times.

can they too not go around the country and do exhibit fundraising comps/shows of their climbing skills? all get together and set at some wall somewhere for a setters fee?
I'm guessing they're doing their own bit to increase that £8k once they hit their mark. but atm all i'm seeing is them begging and not much else.

maybe i've been a bit hardened over the past few months struggling to keep my business afloat, keeping a roof over my family's head and putting fresh food on our table. if i had any spare cash i may put in a couple of tenners for the younger member to get out to get experience points.

that's how i'm seeing this push for funds.

Stubbs

I don't think they are looking for money for people on the breadline, rather those with a few quid that they won't miss.

SA Chris

• forum hero

Yes, according to Dave on UKC http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=583015&v=1#x7725298

Cheers O Stubby One.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Looks like the target has been exceeded (by £4 as of writing).

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

It is/was Lonsdale China that was the sponsor, separate company from Lonsdale UK.

It is up to £8064 now.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
It is/was Lonsdale China that was the sponsor, separate company from Lonsdale UK.

Who, I assume, sponsor the Chinese bouldering team.

What logo's going to be on the team kit now? Someone please tell me it's UKB's and we get to pick a slogan to accompany it.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks

Who, I assume, sponsor the Chinese bouldering team.

What logo's going to be on the team kit now? Someone please tell me it's UKB's and we get to pick a slogan to accompany it.

Nope they don't sponsor the Chinese Team, they sponsored GB to get cred in China.

I suspect the tops are already printed so no UKB logo.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
I suspect the tops are already printed so no UKB logo.
I recon they should spend the £4 on some Sharpies... :great:

ps: Virtual wads all round to those who donated...good work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal