UKBouldering.com

back pain L4/5 can you help? (Read 1972 times)

Blakey

back pain L4/5 can you help?
March 16, 2014, 09:40:14 am
Help me please.

I have been struggling with back pain since November, I have seen several people for course of treatment and nothing is working. Short story below:

Went to Docs, MRI scan (eventually) MRI show L4/5 has slipped resulting in bulging disk, treatment offered = stretching (stretching) and surgery (which they won't offer me)

Went to a chiro - 8 weeks, lots of money, no improvement, not even slightly.

Went to a different chiro (comes highly recommended) too into his climbing to get regular appointments, yet again no improvement.

Went to a few physios and massage therapists - pain eased for a day or so but then back with avengance!

I have tried, resting, ice, stretching, climbing, doing nothing, ...... (the list goes on)

We're now in March and I'm supposed to be going away in May (climbing)

Can anyone help? The pain is getting worse and having knock on effects in the middle of my back, shoulder and neck.

Based in Derbyshire

Anyone?

Hugh

• regular
#1 Re: back pain L4/5 can you help?
March 16, 2014, 11:53:12 am
I was diagnosed with a similar problem (bulging disc at L5/S1), along with a spondylolisthesis last summer. Started physio at the beginning of December and have tried to stick pretty religiously to doing the exercises twice a day, every day. I'm only now starting to feel any significant improvement (I can finally lie down without pain and can actually walk for a reasonable distance), although I did begin to have some benefit after 6 weeks or so. I'd guess the message would be give the physio time to work, and take up pilates (this has been amazing). Depends on your individual circumstances though - oddly most climbing never seemed to cause me much pain.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: back pain L4/5 can you help?
March 16, 2014, 09:19:00 pm
Blakey, this must all be very frustrating.

Any reason why this all started? (It's more common than not for there to be no particular reason).

The disc bulge has quite possibly been there for many years. Amongst 50-something people, which I think applies to you, disc bulges are nearly as common in people without back pain as they are in people with back pain. The same is probably true of the slip (a spondylolysthesis I presume?). It's good news that you have not been offered surgery, as this probably indicates you have a moderate amount of slip.

Broadly speaking, a spondylolysthesis is a minor instability of the spine. Techniques aimed at increasing movement - manipulation - are unlikely to help as the problem is uncontrolled movement rather than too little movement. You've given manipulation a good try and it has not worked. You sound like someone who might benefit from a trunk muscle retraining programme. Have you been given any kind of exercise programme by any of the people that you have seen? A pilates-type / 'core stability' approach might be helpful. Yoga is less likely to be helpful.

The long-term outlook for these kind of problems is good. It's probably going to take longer than 2 months though.

Usual caveats about internet diagnosis and treatment apply.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal