UKBouldering.com

UKB Uplift Meetup (Read 5225 times)

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
  • more business, less party.
UKB Uplift Meetup
March 14, 2014, 09:36:24 am
Given we all spend our time trying to get up things, why not flip things over? Get a lift up, and spend your time coming down!

Now that I have a bike I thought it might be worth organising a UKB uplift meetup. I'm in Bristol, so cwmcarn is my suggestion. I've had a lot of fun there in the past and not having to push back up is the future. I've actually booked myself on to one on the 5th April but there is only 1 slot left now on that date, and it's probably worth me learning how to ride a bike again before any meetups...

Currently available dates and slots:

12th April - 4
20th April - 8
4th May - 16

Up to date info is available at: https://www.cwmdown.co.uk/bookings

If anybody is keen to meet up then shout.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
March 14, 2014, 02:02:16 pm
 :dance1:

The 4th is a GO!!!

Either be me and my son, or an additional couple of mates...

Will bring various go pros etc....

Here is the old classic black and new jumps

It's ALL rollable.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#2 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
March 14, 2014, 02:16:24 pm
Yep,

All booked!!!!

C'mon everyone... It's the best intro to uplift riding in the UK ( I've not been to Uk bikepark yet) I've experienced.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#3 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
March 14, 2014, 02:46:30 pm
BTW, the 16 places is the entire bus. So if we fill it it's just going to be just  UKBers all day.

That would be a rite larf!!!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#4 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
March 14, 2014, 02:56:08 pm
I'm booked for the 4th. 10 slots left. Fingers crossed the weather's good!

EDIT: Damn it! I'm booked at Bike Park Wales on the same day...  :oops: I'll try to move the bike park wales one.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:10:10 pm by unclesomebody »

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#5 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
April 29, 2014, 02:15:23 pm
Looks like it's just us! I'll be there bright and early as we've got friends staying and I might not be able to do the whole day. You'll obviously know who I am because you've seen the bright green and yellow bike I'm riding! Having ridden my bike a grand total of 5 times now I'm starting to feel a bit more confident on it so it should be a fun day.

Does anyone use Strava for timing their DH runs or parts thereof? Is that a bad idea? Will I just end up crashing?

See you there!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#6 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
April 29, 2014, 03:20:14 pm
Yep, I'll be there defo in time fr the first lift. I'm drivng down the night before with my son. Four other of my mates coming down fr the day, promises to be a great day!!!

Ive never used strava, most of the stuff I ride in the UK is it what I would not want to advertise  :whistle:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
April 29, 2014, 09:32:38 pm
I'd have come if my bike had been built yet :(

Cwmcarn will definitely be on Strava.  You can't set goals on downhill segments though; a roadie died trying to beat a segment so they don't want to be seen to encourage it.  You still get placed though.   

You can set Strava to be totally private Jon so others can't see where you ride.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#8 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
April 30, 2014, 10:38:01 am
Whens the bid day Bubs? I got so so much to show you dude!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#9 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
April 30, 2014, 04:48:54 pm
It said "week 23" on the site when I ordered but on my actual order confirmation it said "week 19".  So factoring in shipping I could have it as early as a couple of weeks time  :dance1:

account_inactive

• forum hero
#10 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 01, 2014, 07:36:21 am
Not sure how I missed this thread....just changed back to a downhill bike so keen to get out. I'm booked in for stiniog in September but with a child due in July/august I can really plan anything before that.
Have a good uplift and report back!

unclesomebody

• forum hero
  • 1-5-NEIN!
#11 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 05, 2014, 05:18:47 pm
Had a great day out with fatdoc and a big sheffield crew. Thanks for showing me around and giving me someone to follow down so I can learn lines etc.

We should definitely organise another day out once Bubba has his bike and Dylan has permission. Who wants to go climbing on sweaty lime when you can hoon down a mountain on a bike?!?

account_inactive

• forum hero
#12 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 05, 2014, 06:59:57 pm
Glad to hear it was a success  :thumbsup:
I managed to break a couple of ribs just over a month ago at the Forest of Dean (over shot a double and landed nose first on the flat  :wall:), and told that I couldn't ride again until the baby was born. In the meantime I've bought a downhill bike and have been trying to get my confidence back at Hamilton Hill (Market Rasen) after work.
I'm booked on the uplift at Antur in September, so you're all welcome to join if you like, otherwise hit me up with some other dates.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#13 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 05, 2014, 08:48:10 pm
Sounds like a good day and a good turn out. Definitely keen for the next day planned so long as I can make it. Stiniog would be good as just a little bit nearer (I think).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#14 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 19, 2014, 01:42:58 pm
Booked on for Antur Stiniog this weekend finally, fingers crossed the weather holds out, or at least doesn't just piss it down all day. It's been far too long since I've ridden my DH bike in anger so I'm expecting a few twitchy moments to say the least.....

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
#15 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 19, 2014, 03:56:06 pm
Watch out for the lack of friction.. Like your first day on slate climbing, disconcerting a polite way to describe it!!!!

Time wise from Sheffield.. Cwmcarn is closer at 2hrs 45, and an easier drive. I admitt I prefer Cwmcarn, and haven't ridden the new track there yet. I won't be doing any more uplifts until after my whistler trip in July, I know I've got the fitness and don't want to jepordise the trip of a lifetime. Let me know what u think of Antur, perhaps I should give it another try...

HOT NEWS, Bubba is back in the gravity bike zone :D

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#16 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 19, 2014, 05:14:15 pm
Cheers Fatdoc, i will be taking it very easy as I have my trip to Deux Alpes at the end of June and don't want to go with anything in a cast. I'll let you know what I think, never ridden Cwmcarn either even though my company has loads of offices in South Wales so could probably easily combine it with a work trip. Might even get a bit of GoPro footage from the day too if the sun is out.

Good news on Bubba too :) be good to do a local evening or day at Greno or Wharncliffe at some point soon.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#17 Re: UKB Uplift Meetup
May 25, 2014, 10:44:25 am
Had a good day at Antur Stiniog yesterday, the weather held back until well after lunch and even though it was fully booked, the set up is great in that there is no more than a couple of minutes wait to load up on to the next trailer and head back to the top.

Took it really steady on the runs as a) first time on a DH bike since last June and b) off to the Alps in a month. Still managed to get down all the tracks except the black DH route, as had a spill on the top of the roll in on the red, so thumb was more than a little tender and required some extensive taping up with electricians tape at lunch time.

Don't really have much to compare it to in terms of the South Wales uplift centres, but getting to it was really easy, took 2 hours 15 from Sheffield. Cafe set up at the base is nice too, and a good atmosphere with the other riders. Fingers crossed on return from Deux Alpes I'll be fired up to get some more uplift days in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal