UKBouldering.com

Shoes for longer second toe? (Read 16785 times)

EmilyJoy

Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 02:32:36 pm
Hiya,

I'm looking to buy some new shoes, as my first pair of evolv elektras are now suffering a bit of wear and tear. I have some problems with my second toes getting painful after climbing, as they're on the lengthy side, and I have fairly narrow feet, so finding a good fit is proving tricky.

Was wondering if anyone with knowledge of a similar situation would have any advice on toe accommodating pairs? I was wondering about evolv rockstars since I already have boot bananas to combat the infamous evolv smell.

Either that or it's a routine operation to shorten the toes...

Cheers

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 02:36:31 pm
Hi, tried different brands? Normally the diff makes have quite different fits.. My 2nd toe is slightly longer than big and I find most 5:10's are ok. I think Sportivas favour narrower feet but not 100%...

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#2 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 03:07:13 pm
I have narrow feet (for a man), and also lengthy second toes.

I find that some 5.10s are OK (ish), but that Sportiva shoes are the most consistently suitable.
Obviously fit is very personal, but Sportivas are definitely narrower on the whole than other brands I've tried.

EmilyJoy

#3 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 07:32:29 pm
Thank you both, branching out with brands definitely a good idea. I've seen sportiva miuras everywhere and I'd like to try some anasazi lv's. Hopefully can beg, borrow and steal to try a few pairs on before buying! Thanks again

Dolly

• forum hero
#4 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 07:40:21 pm
Hi, tried different brands? Normally the diff makes have quite different fits.. My 2nd toe is slightly longer than big and I find most 5:10's are ok. I think Sportivas favour narrower feet but not 100%...
+1. My second toe is miles longer and same applies

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 08:17:31 pm
+1.  Anasazi VCS and Verde fit well (Blancos don't - too narrow in the forefoot for me).  Sportiva are reliably good fits - oddly the more "aggressive" shoes better fit my funny feet: Miura VS, Miura lace-ups, Katanas and the old Venoms all fit like a glove. 

a dense loner

• forum hero
#6 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 08:51:03 pm
Yep sportiva every time for me. I've got 5.10 LV's as well which I only wear on grit, so they haven't seen a scratch in 3 yrs. One thing I did find with shoes was I can't toe hook at all without rubber on the toes it's just way too painful on my second toe. Maybe worth thinking about?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#7 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 09:11:50 pm
One thing I did find with shoes was I can't toe hook at all without rubber on the toes it's just way too painful on my second toe. Maybe worth thinking about?

+1 - Anasazi VCS fit well and are good all round shoes but the lack of toe-rubber has occasionally been painful.  Worse though for me are the aggressive Scarpas (Instinct, Boosters etc); they hold my toes, particularly the 2nd, in a clenched position with the knuckles very prominent - even with the toe-rubber I used to end up with painfully bruised toes.

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
#8 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 23, 2014, 09:31:56 pm
Seems as though you all suffer from Mortons toe!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#9 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 09:31:25 am
Isn't it a sign of intelligence? Also prevalent amongst serial killers. The long second toe that is, not intelligence.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#10 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 10:06:21 am

Slim feet with a 'Greek toe'? The epitome of beauty, in Italian Renaissance art at least.

I have a long second toe and narrow heels but wide forefeet. Contrary to the above, I don't find La Sportivas in general and Miuras in particular an especially good fit. 5.10 whites are fairly narrow with a somewhat rounded toe section which work better for me than the more asymmetric Miuras. Typically they are being discontinued but the new pinks are reportedly narrower still. Bad news for me but possibly good for the OP.

As the OP has found, many Evolv shoes also have rounded toes (Primes, Bandits) and often fit well if you have a Morton's.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#11 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 11:59:12 am
I refrained from posting the intelligence bit Chris  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#12 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 12:11:36 pm
Smart move :)

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#13 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 12:50:16 pm
another vote for sportivas from someone with greek toes (mine don't bend at all due to a childhood operation).
for the record i'm moderately intelligent and am not a serial killer. am i a piece of rogue data?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#14 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 12:58:42 pm
Two toes on each foot >= big toe, but wide feet and I've found Sportivas to be too narrow when trying them on*.  Until recently I've gone with Boreal Cruxes which when sized correctly were pretty comfortable.  Recently switched to Scarpa Vapor V's as I wanted something a bit stiffer and more technical and am now on my third pair.

I've never been able to get my feet in climbing shoes without curling my toes though (and I've tried, but the extra length required going up sizes makes them pretty useless).

* Although I did just about manage a day wearing my friends Muira's which were a size too small when I left my shoes at the crag in Mallorca.  Despite some friendly Germans picking them up and returning them to a bush just next to the car park I didn't get them back....

Your English Shoes by slack---line, on Flickr

i.munro

• junky
#15 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 01:57:47 pm

Slim feet with a 'Greek toe'? The epitome of beauty, in Italian Renaissance art at least.

So pleased!  & katanas or even better anything by EB if you can find 'em.

Fadanoid

• addict
#16 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 24, 2014, 02:26:54 pm
I was always advised to buy boreals as I have these greek toes too.

mindfull

• menacing presence
    • Blog
#17 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 25, 2014, 06:57:26 am
 :popcorn: Feet fetishism, I like it.

IMO 5.10 Anasazi verde works very good, for most types of feet. Probably the new pinkies are the same. My leftie is a bit bigger than my right but still could them fit well. Evolv shamans were not so good in this regard, but are more technical.

Difficult to say, but fit them closely at the shop.

tomtom

• forum hero
#18 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 25, 2014, 07:01:27 am

I find Boreals comfortable too ((good for wide feet as well) but sadly also find them shit... (durability and grip) :9

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#19 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 25, 2014, 07:20:46 am

IMO 5.10 Anasazi verde works very good, for most types of feet.

You have experience of multiple pairs of feet?  :???:

Mine only stretches to one pair.  :P

mindfull

• menacing presence
    • Blog
#20 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 25, 2014, 10:51:29 am

IMO 5.10 Anasazi verde works very good, for most types of feet.

You have experience of multiple pairs of feet?  :???:

Mine only stretches to one pair.  :P

Would love to have multiple pair, but seriously, these things are discussed from time to time in between climbing partners   :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 25, 2014, 11:10:28 am
Yes, but perhaps, by chance alone, you have friends who get on with Anasazi Verde.  I bet I could find a group who don't.  ;)

mindfull

• menacing presence
    • Blog
#22 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 25, 2014, 07:26:13 pm
We did slacks. One female and two males who climb together. Cannot help this. The two males also buy more technical shoes (Evolv shaman) which we discus on the subject of the wear of the rubber. I may dump lots of bullshit but it is all true  :tumble:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#23 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 26, 2014, 09:23:43 am
Its not bullshit and I didn't say it wasn't true, its just a very small sample out of the total number of people who wear climbing shoes, as is the sum of replies here (i.e. sampling ;) ).

The best thing to find shoes that fit isn't to ask on forums what others find comfortable, its to go to a decent climbing shop with knowledgeable staff and try on a range of shoes (and try a little climbing in them on whatever facilities they have), because even if there is a consensus amongst your friends or replies here everyone has unique feet and the what suits one person (or group) might not fit another individual (plus it helps support local climbing shops which are an invaluable resource  :goodidea: )

Fadanoid

• addict
#24 Re: Shoes for longer second toe?
February 28, 2014, 10:54:38 am

I find Boreals comfortable too ((good for wide feet as well) but sadly also find them shit... (durability and grip) :9

I try to kid myself that having less grippy shoes forces me to concentrate on using my feet as best as I can.
When I did science friction years ago I was trying it in boreal (stingers or zens I think...) and was slowly slipping off the holds much to everyone's amusement. I then put on a mates Anasazi velcros and flew up it, not moving on any of the holds.

Pretty sure it was the long haired fella (brian may look-a-like) from 'Rock on' years ago that said I should stick to European shoe manufacturers as this greek toe thing is more common in Europe and they tend to be wider fitting shoes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal