UKBouldering.com

Pyramid Pullups (Read 5763 times)

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
Pyramid Pullups
February 18, 2014, 10:42:00 pm
Hey there, looking for some advice.
Started doing sets of pyramid pullups going 2,4,6,8,10,8,6,4,2. and changing hold on fingerboabrd instead of adding weight. iv been waiting 3 minutes between sets but was wondering how long to wait between the pullups within the sets?
and also how have you guys had any success or found it not very good using pyramid  pullups?
Cheers

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#1 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 10:28:18 am
If it helps, I got good results by doing the pyramid slightly differently. I'd do 1 pullup, rest 10 seconds, then do 2 and rest 20 seconds - resting 10 seconds for every pullup rep. I'd either do the set up to 10 and then back down, or up as far as I could go until failure. I think my best was failing on my 13th pullup in the 15 pullup set.

To be honest, I'd only do the pyramid once in a session, and always on a 2cm rung, but I'd do it after doing my one arm hangs and I'd be fairly tired afterwards.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#2 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 04:58:31 pm
I used to do pyramids when I started climbing, many years ago.
Never done them recently.
What's your goal?
Why do you do them?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 05:38:00 pm
Do they just make you better at doing pull ups?

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 05:39:51 pm
That's what I thought.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 05:46:27 pm
There must be more specific or focused exercises you can do unless you believe that shoulder/bicep strength is a weakness...

JohnM

• junky
#6 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 05:48:13 pm
I do them at the end of a session before a rest day but I wouldn't do them in replace of other forms of training.  On a bar or large hold it is just something you can do when your fingers are too tired and skin sore.  You can also do core and press ups in between.  I add weight to the first two sets and do 4-6-8-6-4 travelling pull ups reducing the weight as the no. of reps increases resting 2 minutes in between, and 3-5-8-5-3 normal pull ups.  I don't know if it is beneficial or not.  My arms have got stronger recently and I was able to do a one arm pull up for the first time in ages the other day but I have also been doing static locks and negatives.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#7 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 06:21:44 pm
Pyramids are I think useful for providing a structure that gets you to do a lot of pull-ups. It is easy to knock doing pull-ups until you read about Dmitry Sharafutinov basing his training on a punishing pull-up regime. If volume gets you excited then embrace it if you can do it without getting injured. Its something Ive never done though. When I've done pull up sessions in the past I followed Neil Greshams suggestions of low reps for strength on a variety of pullup exercises such as weighted pull ups, frenchies etc and then bingo found I could do a one armer for the first time ever. Cant do it now even though my bouldering strength has improved since then. Sorry, what was the question ..?   

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 08:46:48 pm
Hey thanks for your advice. I have only been doing them really to mix it up a bit, i did weighted pull uPs and frenchies before and whilst i know that there are better ways to train I found them very good to get abit more powerful on little time.

What exercises would you recommend for building power or as a replacment to pullups?
Have done campus routines for periods of 3 weeks before but cant get to a campus board currently.

Sorry if sound like a dumbass !  :ang:

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 08:55:33 pm
Keep doing pull ups, the only thing frenchies are good for is striking

Kingy

• forum hero
#10 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 19, 2014, 11:04:29 pm
Do 10 sets of 10 in an hour then try to do it in 45 mins. My mate does 5 sets of 20 to make his 100 but doing more than one set of 20 pullups is quite hard. 

I rate them, pullups is what climbing is after all

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#11 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 20, 2014, 12:47:17 pm

No it isn't.

For me, any sort of pull ups regime leads to elbow pain and re-inflamed tendonitis. Climbing does not.

casa

• addict
#12 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 20, 2014, 02:15:43 pm
Yeah that french fella stevie Hastion knows all about the power of the pull up. He's a world record holder i believe (shall consult Noris on the spot) and no slouch on the rock either   :whistle:

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#13 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 20, 2014, 06:29:39 pm

No it isn't.

For me, any sort of pull ups regime leads to elbow pain and re-inflamed tendonitis. Climbing does not.

you're on about that type of climbing where people use their feet as well, aren't you?

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#14 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 24, 2014, 12:20:13 pm
Saw this earlier: http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news/ask-the-coach-190-how-to-power-train-for-climbing
What  do you guys think? Seems like a decent idea, never seen something similar

JohnM

• junky
#15 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 24, 2014, 12:38:19 pm
Try it and report back in three months!  Doing it three times a day is probably impractical for the normal worker so it may have to be once in the morning and once in the evening.  The warm up to the maximum set should also be very gradual and if applying this to finger pull ups the risk of injury is probably quite high.

Stubbs

#16 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 24, 2014, 01:53:07 pm
Sounds like a recipe for an outing to the capital of Painshire: Tendonitisville!

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#17 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 24, 2014, 01:58:14 pm
Sounds like a recipe for an outing to the capital of Painshire: Tendonitisville!

Yeah no denying sounds intense. Have seen decent gains recently but its hard to pinpoint what from when have started several new things, and dont want to end up crippled.
What would you suggest as other options?

JohnM

• junky
#18 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 24, 2014, 02:19:10 pm
What is your ultimate goal from all this?  e.g. do a 1 arm pull up/multiple one arm pull ups or increase the total amount of pull ups you can do?

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
#19 Re: Pyramid Pullups
February 24, 2014, 02:25:51 pm
Just to find a new decent way to train power and contact strength, cant get on a campus board currently and also feel like something new as was stagnating a bit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal