UKBouldering.com

keeping it real........ ales that is! (Read 226828 times)

danm

• junky
A Sheffield based climbing buddy of mine has started up a small business making craft brewing kits: http://craftalekits.com

Might be worth checking out, I've tried a couple of the brews and they were very good. The local brew shop told him it wasn't possible to make decent ale with stuff you can use and store in a normal kitchen, so he set out to prove them wrong. He dropped off a sample of his first brew to the shop to try, who sheepishly admitted it was one of the best bottled beers they'd ever tasted  :)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
One for real ale fans (and whisky), Hop and Barley magazine was started by one of my fellow architectural cohorts and is now on sale. It's a lovely publication (even with bias factored in!) and covers lots of aspects of beer and beer production. It also has a whisky column authored by yours truly and will be released bi monthly.

Well worth a look!: http://www.hopandbarley.co.uk/

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#602 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
December 30, 2014, 10:41:23 pm
A Sheffield based climbing buddy of mine has started up a small business making craft brewing kits: http://craftalekits.com

Might be worth checking out, I've tried a couple of the brews and they were very good. The local brew shop told him it wasn't possible to make decent ale with stuff you can use and store in a normal kitchen, so he set out to prove them wrong. He dropped off a sample of his first brew to the shop to try, who sheepishly admitted it was one of the best bottled beers they'd ever tasted  :)

just reaped the rewards from my first attempt at making my own beer

I used Ed's kit and recipe for his Saison of Satan

I had about 8 pints on Christmas day and was very impressed by the taste, the effect and the kindness of the hangover

I'll be doing more

Ed is very supportive and wildly enthusiastic about his brewing - in terms of PSYCHE he's the Haydn Jones of home brew

and yes, Jasper, I have saved a bottle for you

danm

• junky
#603 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
December 31, 2014, 01:54:58 pm
Cool, the Saison is going to be my next brew, I've just done a Chocolate Fountain batch and am waiting for it to condition in the bottle. My first effort was the Pacific IPA, which I really enjoyed and it went down well with those I shared it with. After the Saison, I'm going to do another IPA but this time have a go at dry hopping. You're not wrong about Ed's psyche, he's like that for everything. Next time you speak to him, ask him about his career catching crayfish.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#604 Re: keeping it real........ ales that is!
December 31, 2014, 03:13:19 pm
I'm going to stick with the Saison for a couple of batches to see if I can get a feel for any subtle changes in the magik

going out in a canoe with Ed later this week - I expect he's got a plan to reach France by tea time

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
the hipster thread just reminded me...

I popped into the micro pub near Hunters Bar the other week

On the recommendation of some regulars, I had a pint of Lagonda - easily the best IPA I've had in a long time

the smell was what interested me at first - reminded me of the smell of heather when it's in flower (maybe clover?)

ace

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I forgot to mention that lagers home brew was very nice indeed.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
the hipster thread just reminded me...

I popped into the micro pub near Hunters Bar the other week

On the recommendation of some regulars, I had a pint of Lagonda - easily the best IPA I've had in a long time

the smell was what interested me at first - reminded me of the smell of heather when it's in flower (maybe clover?)

ace

Marble brewery very rarely produce a bad pint from what I have had so far - their Ginger is an awesome pint and the Pint is a really good session ale too. 

Plattsy

• forum hero
Might not be news to some. Bottles of Blacksheep are half a fuck all a bottle in Aldi.

Makes the seemingly good deal of 3 bottles for two fuck alls in other supermarkets look rubbish.

Durbs

• forum hero
Wiper & True for any Bristolians... Oh my, the finest beer I've ever had. Ever.

Incredible, flower-y, hop-y wonderfulness.

Duma

• forum hero
Yeah it's good stuff.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Might not be news to some. Bottles of Blacksheep are half a fuck all a bottle in Aldi.

Makes the seemingly good deal of 3 bottles for two fuck alls in other supermarkets look rubbish.

...and indeed Asda have, in amongst their ale selections, Ilkley Mary Jane on 4 for 2 fuck alls. Though I don't think that's how they promote it.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones

A phenomenal brew. Dangerously drinkable.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

rossydoodle61

• player
Brew Dog have just 'open-sourced' their beer

DIY Dog
There is quite a bit of discussion in the brewing scene on the accuracy of some of these recipes. Hop quantities, hop  schedules, Alpha Acid %, boil times, etc.

Aside from this, it's still a great source of inspiration and ideas. There is a lot in there and will get people in the ballpark for many of their beers.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Expect exploding containers in the garages of Aberdeenshire

galpinos

• forum hero

DIY Dog

If the fizzy piss served up in Brewdog Manchester is anything to go by I'll be steering well clear!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
You know what fizzy piss tastes like?

chris20

• menacing presence

DIY Dog
There is quite a bit of discussion in the brewing scene on the accuracy of some of these recipes. Hop quantities, hop  schedules, Alpha Acid %, boil times, etc.

Aside from this, it's still a great source of inspiration and ideas. There is a lot in there and will get people in the ballpark for many of their beers.

Yeah next time I'm forming a recipe I can cross reference with this to make sure I'm brewing something that's nothing like their stuff

rossydoodle61

• player

DIY Dog

If the fizzy piss served up in Brewdog Manchester is anything to go by I'll be steering well clear!
I'm assuming that means you're probably not particularly keen on keg beers, but if you happen to find yourself in there again they usually have something on by Stone brewing from the US which is miles better than the usual Brewdog pizzle.

36chambers

• forum hero
Glad it's not just me that thinks brewdog is rubbish (I'm a big fan of craft beer btw). Some of my friends looked at me like I'd just kicked their cat when I told them.

dave

I'm not feeling this, some of the brewdog bottled beers I've had are among the best I've tasted.

galpinos

• forum hero
You know what fizzy piss tastes like?

I went to school in Coventry, I've drunk enough Carling and Fosters in my lifetime to have a pretty good guess.....

galpinos

• forum hero
I'm not feeling this, some of the brewdog bottled beers I've had are among the best I've tasted.

We had high hopes, a few guys from work on a little Friday afternoon crawl around the better beer establishment of the city. One guys suggested Brewdog, it had a good rep but what we got was awful. We had just come from The Knott though so it had a lot to live up to.

rossydoodle61

• player

We had high hopes, a few guys from work on a little Friday afternoon crawl around the better beer establishment of the city. One guys suggested Brewdog, it had a good rep but what we got was awful. We had just come from The Knott though so it had a lot to live up to.

The Knott is great. I can see why Brewdog disappointed.

Cask is another good one not far from Brewdog.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal