UKBouldering.com

My Assisted One Armer Mission... (Read 24923 times)

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#50 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 16, 2014, 08:53:56 pm
Jumpers for goalposts... Sorry for hijack.

Simon's the only name I  recall from that grp. Also moved to Sheff. (We`ve established the shiteness of my memory... My few months in hull was the only time I joined a uni club, distance from crag related. In fact the most impressive one armer feat I've seen was on a weekend trip leaving the pub in Borrowdale, some of em were doing pullups on the carpark van keeper outer bar thingy. The one sober guy who was driving the van just reached up and calmly did five or so one armer's with his jacket on. I'm impressed by that sort of thing.

webbo

• forum hero
#51 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 17, 2014, 08:33:41 am
Tom It seems to me that the way forward in your quest for the elusive one armer lies at Hull uni. All the signs are pointing that way, you just need to get down with the kids.

tomtom

• forum hero
#52 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 19, 2014, 05:54:18 pm
No Hull wall progress I'm afraid - but after two days rest - and post Trowbarrow session, I've just pissed a set of reps with +20KG.

Time to drop a couple of KG this week...

andy popp

• forum hero
#53 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 21, 2014, 09:50:40 pm
Pete Chadwick showed me an interesting technique for working towards a one armer tonight, using a fingerboard/hold hung parallel to but a couple of feet out from a flat vertical surface (otherwise known as a wall) - luckily, just what I have in the garage. Pete demonstrated, putting his free hand flat on the wall and doing a one armer easily. Feeling very sceptical I had a go and did a pretty convincing imitation of a one armer first go - certainly the closest I've ever got and I've been doing no pull-ups/weights etc recently. Undoubtedly as I getting some downward push through the wall but not huge amounts; its something to do with giving the other shoulder enough stability to pull properly through it? As it gets easier, just move the hand lower and lower.

tomtom

• forum hero
#54 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 27, 2014, 07:58:31 pm
Dropped to 18kgs last week... just done a couple at 15kgs...

luk_fiz

#55 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 28, 2014, 07:06:02 am
Pete Chadwick showed me an interesting technique...,
... putting his free hand flat on the wall and doing a one armer easily... .

Hi all,
Since I am trying to fight my "one-armism" (terrible weakness on any trials of pull/lock using one arm) I was trying this method also and indeed found it very interesting: I was trying to do one armer with pronated arm (if doing without second hand help - NOT EVEN CLOSE to do so, only very terrible locking). Pressing second hand flat to wall or putting very top of its pinkie on 5mm jamb I was able to do 2 almost proper one armers.

Anyway it is very interesting issue, how to go 2->1 arm exercises, when You feel very strong on two arms but cannot just start of anything with one of them. For me CWP method (with sling or cord assist) is not working at all - I am subconsciously starting to pull from the string like crazy.
So far I have found, that it is advisable to use support of very different type: for example FRICTION from second hand, not to have possibility of squeezing even smallest hold or sling. I will try to use thick cord or friction from feet to exclude upper body help at all.

Luk

a dense loner

• forum hero
#56 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 28, 2014, 08:48:35 am
I agree I think holding the cord gives you false gains. Ie for the sake of the exercise I can pull/push as much with a finger and thumb on the cord as my whole hand. Putting the weight onto a harness when going through a pulley gives better results I think

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#57 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 28, 2014, 02:19:45 pm
I've paid my dues in that corridor!

...is my memory competely shot? In 1988 (ie quite recently) there was a conpicuously positioned tiny brick training traning wall in the corridor by the main door, usually occupied by spanish(ish) guys likely to be known by some on here... I spent approx 2 mins on this (but was quite good at deadlifting). Unless I dreampt the whole hullish interlude after a quiet pint with ollie reed. The more I think about it the more likely this seems.

Fuck me, you definitely took too much speed in Hull...

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#58 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 29, 2014, 11:20:21 am
Fuck me, you definitely took too much speed in Hull...

...stand by for a snappy comeback.

tomtom

• forum hero
#59 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
April 25, 2015, 10:41:09 am
Dropped to 18kgs last week... just done a couple at 15kgs...

Just revisited these for the first time in over a year... two reps at 14kg... :)

Though I am 3kg lighter!!

Pako

• addict
#60 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
April 25, 2015, 01:00:52 pm
One armers make me sad, I have been stuck at 1.5kg assist with a proper pulley for months now. Lately I have just decided to fuck it and boulder on a steep wall, that is what the godly people say works better for one arms

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Thanks for the comments... some of my thoughts..

Do more pull ups: Won't this just make me better at doing two armed pull ups?

I've also had slightly wonky elbows in the past, so keen to avoid reps - but work on the power (low reps, high weight)... Interestingly not a murmur from my elbows so far compared to normal pull up training (that I've done) - maybe the different geomettry/bod alignment with assisted one armers is better for them???

I found the same. Interesting.

Anyone else experience the same?

My thoughts on greater resistance/lower reps, is that the lower resistance work allows us to "train" when we're too tired. Possibly more emphasis on better quality of output when doing very low rep work?

Re your comments about negative OAPs, I've found weighted negatives a great way to up the intensity at both the top and bottom of the movement. Maybe the odd set of these would help?

blamo

• addict
I am still a bit of a punter at the one-arms, but I tend to do them with about a 4 kg assist.  When the stars align correctly I can do them without the assist.  I have found there are various "weak" points in the one-arm that are very difficult to train by simply doing a one-arm.  You might look at what parts of the motion are really hard and train those.

Pako

• addict
I am still a bit of a punter at the one-arms, but I tend to do them with about a 4 kg assist.  When the stars align correctly I can do them without the assist.  I have found there are various "weak" points in the one-arm that are very difficult to train by simply doing a one-arm.  You might look at what parts of the motion are really hard and train those.
Any ideas on how to improve the start where you pull out of straight arm? I have been doing pulley one arms for ages now and still cant pull into a bent position from straight when I try to use no assistance.

Stubbs

There's some technique in breaking the lock unless you are a total beast, try bringing your other arm across your body to engage your chest and the other shoulder (see here from about 6 mins)

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm not really that fussed about getting from straight to bent arm.. I know its a bit of a party trick manoeuvre, but in a climbing context you are much less likely to be straight armed when you go into one...

Pako

• addict
I'm not really that fussed about getting from straight to bent arm.. I know its a bit of a party trick manoeuvre, but in a climbing context you are much less likely to be straight armed when you go into one...

I think the main reason I want to be able to do a one arm with full range of motion is that it shows more strength, and means that I could probably lock more easily on a problem. And for the party trick value of course. Mostly for that reason actually...

tomtom

• forum hero

blamo

• addict
Any ideas on how to improve the start where you pull out of straight arm? I have been doing pulley one arms for ages now and still cant pull into a bent position from straight when I try to use no assistance.

Just a few random ideas: do eccentrics with additional weight in the range where you are having problems.  So bodyweight + added weight on your harness.  It is tricky to do this with a dumbbell since you need both arms to get you in position to do the eccentric.

I find with the assist I tend to kip at the bottom, which does absolutely no good in the progression.  You end up getting really good at the top half while being continuously weak in the bottom.

Word of warning: I have wasted a lot of time training these thinking they would be of some value.  Sadly it took me longer to realize how worthless they are.  :wall:

There are probably people on here who can give far better advice.

Good luck!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Word of warning: I have wasted a lot of time training these thinking they would be of some value.  Sadly it took me longer to realize how worthless they are.  :wall:
This.  Understand very clearly why you're doing them. 

I am training them because I want to do the party trick not because I think they will help my climbing. 

tomtom

• forum hero
:D yes me too.. Though the ability to lock off (which will be helped by the training) will I think be v useful..

Denbob99

• addict
They definitely don't do a lot for climbing, other than the lock off strength. My hardest boulder is V6, and i did 3 one armers last night.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Does anyone actually lock off with their hand by their chin when climbing? :-\

People talk about it helping their lockoff strength, but I can lockoff like a mofo on anything other than a roof and I'm currently at -10kgs for my 1-arm PU.  I find lockoffs tend to be more core and shoulder related.  I think if I wanted to train lockoff strength, I'd use a system board, not pullups.  my $.02...

abarro81

• forum hero
Holding positions on the wall is better than 1-arming for lock off training IMO - take good hold, rockover/twist/whatever, hold deep lock. I agree that my shoulders are often what feel like the limiting factor on that kind of move

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
+1

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal