UKBouldering.com

My Assisted One Armer Mission... (Read 24848 times)

John Gillott

• addict
#25 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 09:31:23 am
Don't plummet - that will involve a rapid release of tension which isn't great either. If and when you do a single one armer get hold of the bar with the other hand as well and lower down two handed in control.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#26 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 10:39:30 am
There's a big difference between forced negatives and the negative part of a movement one can actually perform

John Gillott

• addict
#27 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 10:47:41 am
Sure, but the first time he does it he's likely to have maxed out.

webbo

• forum hero
#28 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 12:11:51 pm
Back in the day before someone had invented John Bacher and his ladder. We used to climb gym ropes or use an old climbing rope with knots roughly about a lock off apart. the idea was like a Bacher ladder but you are in a stronger pulling postion with your hand. Once at the top by any means, you can negative one armers all the way down.
I think Hull Uni gym has gym ropes ( Well it did 20 years ago )

tomtom

• forum hero
#29 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 07:20:52 pm
Hull Uni Gym! Webbo - I wouldnt dare mix with the proles students there ;)

Well, I'm pretty sure 20kg is at my limit at the moment - as I cannot do any tonight with my jumper and jeans on - but can in my pants :D

andy popp

• forum hero
#30 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 08:22:48 pm
The mind boggles.

tomtom

• forum hero
#31 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 08:34:38 pm
The mind boggles.

Don't worry nothing else was boggling..

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#32 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 11:04:49 pm
Back in the day before someone had invented John Bacher and his ladder. We used to climb gym ropes or use an old climbing rope with knots roughly about a lock off apart. the idea was like a Bacher ladder but you are in a stronger pulling postion with your hand. Once at the top by any means, you can negative one armers all the way down.

I always liked that bit in Enter The Dragon where Bruce styles his way up the rope with legs L raised

Did Bruce Lee train in Hull?

tomtom

• forum hero
#33 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 14, 2014, 11:11:51 pm
Yes - he buddied up with John Redhead

webbo

• forum hero
#34 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 06:55:48 am
 There was a gentleman called Bruce Lee in Hull, I think he got sent to Rampton for setting fire to an Old Folks home.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#35 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 08:58:23 am
wow

if we did something like that in Sheffield, our trust would sack us for sure - getting a transfer would be extremely unlikely

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#36 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 04:17:50 pm

It did in 1987. It also had a 2m by 2m brick climing wall. I may exaggerate. It was probably a bit smaller.

Anyway, unbelievably, I feel I'm about to post a training tip. Somebody stop me.

What got me to one armers (okay a crap one on my left arm, two thirds of one on my right) was offset pullups on a metolius board. One hand on a jug, the other with fingers on the smallest edge. Four/three reps a few times a couple of times a weekl reduce number of fingers over a few weeks.

This does actually work - I got to a solid lock-off with a bit of upward motion within a couple of weeks. This was on a base of being able to bang out 25 or so decent pullups on a bar, which I've always been able to do though I'd not attempt a one armer now. Obviously it didn't make a blind bit of difference to my shite climbing. Not that that was why I wanted to do it. Equally obviously, I buggered my elbows leading to a lengthy lay-off. Yorkshire hvs' loss being surf/mtb/tri/other middleaged pursuits' gain.)

tomtom

• forum hero
#37 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 04:39:21 pm
Hull Uni Sports hall has a breeze block wall (outside the main hall) c. 20m long 2m high with a load of bolt on holds and chalked brick edges on it.. I have to admit I've only pulled on for a play once after i was playing 5 a side there.. Its not great and I've never seen anyone else on it (so I felt a bit daft playing on it!). I was an undergrad at Leeds (92-95) so remember their wall (bricks, features and the squash court part) though am not sure its still alive.. there is of course now RockCity but thats another story (don;t get me started) ;)

I'm actually really surprised I only need 20kg assistance on the one armers - as I've always felt much weaker than that - and never really trained for pull ups.. I guess years of increased grade climbing has naturally increased my arm strength..

Yesterday was session#5 on my assist set up and I'm feeling very positive about it all - no niggles or strains - just worked muscle feelings.. Lets see what happens - I'd like to drop a couple of KG in a week or two from the assist (which I may have to as MrsTT has already started asking where her 2 litre bottle of diet coke I nabbed as a weight has gone ;) )

Paul B

• forum hero
#38 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 04:46:15 pm
I'm actually really surprised I only need 20kg assistance on the one armers - as I've always felt much weaker than that - and never really trained for pull ups.. I guess years of increased grade climbing has naturally increased my arm strength..

Check how much resistance your pulley is giving you. Unless you're using a rescue pulley of some sort I'd imagine there's a bit there, if not a 'lot'.

tomtom

• forum hero
#39 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 04:52:53 pm

Check how much resistance your pulley is giving you. Unless you're using a rescue pulley of some sort I'd imagine there's a bit there, if not a 'lot'.

Very little - I now have a slick pulley thanks to B&Q... at the top of the thread I confess how my original set up (rope over a hook) led to 10kg's worth of resistance (and made me think I was actually strong for a few weeks!)

webbo

• forum hero
#40 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 08:24:50 pm
This smacks a bit of Sharks pimp my training regime thread. He asked for advice then ignored it all.
In other words you need to climb ropes, set fire to old folks homes and with any luck you won't have to live in Hull any more.

tomtom

• forum hero
#41 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 08:31:06 pm
I took your magic dog advice....

webbo

• forum hero
#42 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 08:33:41 pm
Which the hair or the wee.

tomtom

• forum hero
#43 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 08:35:51 pm
Both!

I suppose the rope climbing skills will help me bust out of prison after setting fire to the old folks home...

webbo

• forum hero
#44 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 08:45:04 pm
Anyhow back to the training. The old Leeds wall was where I learnt to do a one armers. Above the door way was a large pocket where you could practice your one armers as you could start the pull up with a bent arm. Starting like this you can initiate the pull in a stronger position, as you get better you can start lower with your legs bent.
However as they've demolished the old wall, I reckon arson or a Lagers training strategy are your only hopes.

Steve R

• forum abuser
#45 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 15, 2014, 08:58:11 pm
Hull Uni Sports hall has a breeze block wall (outside the main hall) c. 20m long 2m high with a load of bolt on holds and chalked brick edges on it.. I have to admit I've only pulled on for a play once after i was playing 5 a side there.. Its not great and I've never seen anyone else on it (so I felt a bit daft playing on it!).

I've paid my dues in that corridor!  Seem to remember timing my visits so as to not feel/look like too much of a weirdo with the passing netball teams, etc.  Definitely not one for the self-conscious.  Mad Mick was(presumably still is!) king of the corridor I think.   

Good luck with the one armer mission :strongbench:

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#46 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 16, 2014, 11:23:23 am
I've paid my dues in that corridor!

...is my memory competely shot? In 1988 (ie quite recently) there was a conpicuously positioned tiny brick training traning wall in the corridor by the main door, usually occupied by spanish(ish) guys likely to be known by some on here... I spent approx 2 mins on this (but was quite good at deadlifting). Unless I dreampt the whole hullish interlude after a quiet pint with ollie reed. The more I think about it the more likely this seems.

tomtom

• forum hero
#47 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 16, 2014, 11:42:54 am
I'll wander over and have a look later in the week and check for you if you like...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#48 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 16, 2014, 12:38:19 pm
I heard that unless you can one arm the 35s on a Beastmaker you're not allowed to start trying 8As

webbo

• forum hero
#49 Re: My Assisted One Armer Mission...
January 16, 2014, 12:41:53 pm
I've paid my dues in that corridor!

...is my memory competely shot? In 1988 (ie quite recently) there was a conpicuously positioned tiny brick training traning wall in the corridor by the main door, usually occupied by spanish(ish) guys likely to be known by some on here... I spent approx 2 mins on this (but was quite good at deadlifting). Unless I dreampt the whole hullish interlude after a quiet pint with ollie reed. The more I think about it the more likely this seems.

No I don't think you are wrong, the tiny bit was the original wall i.e. chipped holds and bits of rock cemented in. At some point the uni club bought some bolt ons and stuck them down a fair bit of the corridor. It still qualified as the shittest wall ever. The Spanish guy Juan? is no longer there having moved to Sheffield some years ago.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal