UKBouldering.com

Suitable replacement for lumix LX3? (Read 8425 times)

RichK

• menacing presence
Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 09:47:00 am
I had my Panasonic lx3 nicked  >:( at the end of last year & am now looking to replace it. I really liked the LX3 - it produced great results particularly in low light for a camera of that size and price.
However, I do miss not having a viewfinder.

I've know idea about what's available other than a quick net search. Looks like the LX7 is the nearest replacement.........canon g range may be worth a look :-\
Any others recommendations? Ideally I'm after similar size or smaller than lx3, not too heavy/bulky and reasonably tough as it may go up the odd long route or 2.

:great:

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 11:16:46 am
Sony RX100
Fuji X10/X20 - this has a viewfinder although IMO is getting a bit bulky for multipitch stuff.
Canon S90/95/100 etc. - latter models have GPS I'd check size and weight increases
A phone with decent camera

Forget the Canon G-series or the Nikon 1-series. There are far more competent cameras if you're willing to have that extra bulk.

kelvin

• forum hero
#2 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 11:30:10 am
I use a S95 - didn't think the extra for gps and 1080p video was worth it for me. Been really happy with it as it's small enough not to notice when climbing and tough enough not to break when I bash or drop it. Now and again it comes up with amazing pics and it's definitely me that's the limiting factor.
I did consider an LX5 but the size put me off.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 01:29:34 pm
I also had a LX3 nicked. I replaced it with an S95. The latter is a more appropriate multipitch route camera for me. I didn't take the LX3 on some big routes as it was a bit bulky and heavy, I am a bit of an obsessive about weight, but regretted not having the pictures after. The LX3 had subtly but noticeably better image quality than the S95, I struggle to put into words exactly what the difference was but I do miss it. I'm wondering about getting a larger 'bridge' camera with an optical viewfinder for every day climbing shots and keeping the S95 for routes where size and weight really matters.

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 02:07:14 pm
I sold my LX3 or 5 (whichever it was) to buy an S95 and the difference in bulk has meant it more often came with me on bigger stuff when the LX would've definitely been staying on the ground. However, given I generally carry a phone anyway and I only ever really take 'snaps' when climbing on that kind of stuff I'm fairly sure that a phone with exposure compensation would do me just fine (saving bulk + weight). The main problem is phones seem quite easy to drop (and I'm not convinced my newest phone purchase is very good at being a camera)!

I recently acquired a (used) Fuji X100s (well done to Nat on that Christmas present) as a travel camera and my god it seems great. All of the controls are just there. Utterly useless for this thread though although it'd make me look towards the smaller fuji offerings (btw. the Fuji X-pro1 is on a stupendous deal at Amazon currently if anyone is in the market).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 02:48:39 pm
S95 is my multi-pitch camera too, small, light and easy to use even with mountaineering mittens on.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#6 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 03:35:14 pm
I sold my LX3 or 5 (whichever it was)

It was an LX5. Still is: I use it every day and love it.  ;D

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#7 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 04:52:17 pm
I just bought a fuji x10 Rich, can't say enough good things about it. I know paul just got the next model up. Either or really. Though height great for taking on routes. Bit bigger than lx3.

bubbles

#8 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 04:59:49 pm
Looks like I'm the third person on this thread to have an LX3 nicked!

I had a Nikon P7000 (Nikon version of a Canon G10) for a while. It took great images, but was too bulky for carry up routes all the time. Like Duncan I have regretted not taking my camera up routes where I have been trying to safe weight.

I've now got a Canon S100, which is much much smaller and takes good pictures. However the battery life in cold weather is poor and you need to carry several spares. Saying that when rock climbing last summer I never had this problem.

HTH

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 05:22:01 pm
What I found to be a problem with the Canon's was that the battery indicator was next to useless, one minute it'd be absolutely fine and then it'd rapidly start blinking red at me moments later.

/tangent: This seems to also be a problem as people push bigger sensors into smaller bodies (presumably as the data is constantly being read from the sensor rather than just during an exposure or from an optical view finder [OVF]).

It was an LX5. Still is: I use it every day and love it.  ;D

Brilliant. My memory is turning to mush.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#10 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 06:11:16 pm
I would get an LX5. Cheaper than the suggested alternatives and the perfect upgrade to an LX3. I really liked the 24mm wide end and choice of aspect ratios on mine.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#11 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 09:20:17 pm
I would get an LX5. Cheaper than the suggested alternatives and the perfect upgrade to an LX3. I really liked the 24mm wide end and choice of aspect ratios on mine.
\

The x10 is only 4mm less wide and has the aspect ratio option. Feels better and more solid than the lx7, but then its all personal. I love the retro look.

dave

#12 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 09, 2014, 09:40:25 pm
I don't think the x10 has the oversized multi-aspect sensor of the LXx has it?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#13 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 10, 2014, 07:42:13 am
I have an LX3 too (thankfully it's not been nicked, yet) and it's been up with me on every route I've done since I bought it (except maybe single pitch). I keep it on a snapgate which also holds my prussiks and knife - it's basically part of my racking system.

I'v always been impressed how well weather sealed it is for a non-wateproof camera. I've had it out in -20c off the midi, ice climbing on a warm slushy ice/waterfall and many multi-pitch routes. My opinion is: If you can't get up the route with the camera, get stronger.   :strongbench:

I'd love a little more length  :-* but other than that I love it. I think I'd get an LX7 if I was replacing mine but there may be better alternatives now.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#14 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 10, 2014, 07:52:58 am
I have used an X10. I expected to like it, but didn't.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#15 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 13, 2014, 03:55:17 pm
I bought a Ricoh GR before Christmas, because I was sick of lugging my old 450d round, plus I wanted something I would carry on routes. (I used to carry my 450d with me all the time on winter routes, but the weight and bulk always pissed me off). I guess this is in a different price range to what the OP wanted, but I didn't want to compromise on image quality.

So far it seems excellent, but I'm still finding my way round it at the moment. I can easily imagine that I won't use anything else in the future. I've got an optional external viewfinder which slots on top - this has proved handy on occasions.

RichK

• menacing presence
#16 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
January 13, 2014, 06:32:07 pm
Took the easy route & gone for an LX7. Tanks for all the feedback folks.

everythingConnected

#17 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
February 21, 2014, 05:19:07 pm
I have used an X10. I expected to like it, but didn't.

What didnt you like about the X10?

I'm in a similar debate as also looking for a good quality but small compact. I have had a Canon S95 before and was impressed, but it now seems there are far more compacts around with much faster lenses.

So stuck between the size of the Canon S series, the supposed quality of the Fuji X series (X10 / X20) and think maybe the LX series is somewhere in between the two?

See that Rich has chosen the LX7. How do you find that?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#18 Re: Suitable replacement for lumix LX3?
February 21, 2014, 07:06:56 pm
The X10 felt bulkier than it needed it to be due to the lens not retracting. The viewfinder was disappointing and the lens wasn't quite wide enough for my taste. I'm a sucker for the retro thing but it didn't seem to work on this one.

I think the LXs are about the best compromise. Really like the aspect ratio feature, the lens range is just right for me, and the size and grip make it small without being fiddly. The Ricoh has a slightly better grip and control interface.

everythingConnected

OK - the LX7 has won, just arrived on a deal though Amazon and very pleased.

Anyone got any recommendations for the best camera case for it?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
I have one of these http://http://store.berghaus.com/p/accessories/e-case-large/461528 for my LX5- fits it like a glove. Not seen an LX7 in the flesh but I believe they're the same size.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal