UKBouldering.com

Old five ten dragon versus new dragons (Read 15886 times)

Cheesemaster

Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 12:47:19 pm
Hi, been looking to replace my old five ten dragons (5years+) see that they have tweaked and changed them abit, but cant find anywhere locally that stocks them. Does anyone no if the new version have a similar fit to the old ones? Cheers

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#1 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 01:35:01 pm
Hi, been looking to replace my old five ten dragons (5years+) see that they have tweaked and changed them abit, but cant find anywhere locally that stocks them. Does anyone no if the new version have a similar fit to the old ones? Cheers

The laces got fatter.  Apart from that I can't tell the difference really.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#2 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 02:05:41 pm
For me, the newer ones are softer  over the toe box, size up smaller, and the heel less aggressive on the achilles so slips off easier. I think they're shitterer. Most folks still seem to like them. Whenever the change occurred i was living in teams for 2-3 years but really notice it now. Doubt I'll buy a pair in the current state which is a shame as it was my go to shoe. boo hoo. over to you.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 02:07:07 pm
thought you were talking about these bad boys

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 02:10:02 pm
thought you were talking about these bad boys

Me too. I saw a pair of these for sale in Bishop this year, surprisingly they weren't in bad nick (it's a weird exchange type shop).

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#5 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 02:16:26 pm
still got a pair of velcro dragons for warming up in. Got em off Ken Palmer on ebay as I remember! They're very soft and V similar to first gen V10's before they got covered in rubber.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#6 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 02:24:42 pm
I cant compare them with the older versions only to my Anasazi's and I love em but the rubber is soft, so they are nice and grippy but thin and I'll soon be threw the toe box, I'm a mediocra climber so thrash about with my feet on occasion so if your better then they will last longer.  I like mine enough to know this old pair will be re-soled and I might even buy new ones. 

Stubbs

#7 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 08, 2014, 02:44:45 pm
Like Stallion said, they've thinned out the rubber in the toe box so you rapidly end up with big toe overhanging the last which can mean that shoes with loads if life left in the sole become unusable on small smears/edges. I had to go up half a size in the newer model as well. I found this thin rubber thing to be an issue on the Blackwings as well, but not so much on the Teams.

cha1n

• forum hero
#8 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 10, 2014, 02:45:49 pm
If you shoe me a picture I could probably spot any visual differences but obviously can't comment on feel.

I think they are a top class shoe. I'm a bit of a shoe addict and in my 4 years of climbing have had around 20 different models and the Dragon is the only shoe that I've gone back to time and time again.

The rubber is soft but is very grippy, I've not used another rubber compound as good as stealth HF. They certainly aren't as soft as the teams (my second favourite shoe) and the heel is much better than the teams - closer fitting and narrower. I like that they're lace-ups as you can customise the flexibility of them depending on how tight you lace them, I often leave them unlaced on smeary stuff, for example.

If you have low ankle bones (as in low to the ground) as I do, the dragons are great because they are very low cut around the ankle.

gme

• forum hero
#9 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
January 10, 2014, 03:13:15 pm

I'm a bit of a shoe addict and in my 4 years of climbing have had around 20 different models

That is unbelievable i have been climbing for 30 years and have had 8 or 9 models at the most. WTF do you do to them.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
 :'( Sometimes I feel like I'm the only climber who hasn't "had" models.

cha1n

• forum hero

That is unbelievable i have been climbing for 30 years and have had 8 or 9 models at the most. WTF do you do to them.

I usually wear them briefly and then sell them on at a loss. It was worse in the beginning because I'd being paying close to RRP for them but then I started buying them second hand in near perfect condition or from a friend at cost price. Whilst I've now got pretty good at determining if a shoe is a good fit for me, I still think you have to climb in them at least a few weeks before you can tell if you get on with other aspects of the shoe.

It's been a long (and expensive) time but I've not settled on Dragons. Probably just in time for 5.10 to discontinue them...

*** Disclaimer ***

I have unusual feet - very low volume but wide (people are usually low volume and narrow) with a narrow heel (wide shoes usually have wide heels too). I also have slight Morton's toe and low ankle bones, as mentioned earlier. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Is Morton's toe donkey hooves?

cha1n

• forum hero
Is Morton's toe donkey hooves?

I went as far as to google 'Morton donkey' but nothing stuck out. This joke has officially gone over my head!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Did you try wondermule? Sorry, it was just a cheap Nob Mentor gag.

tomtom

• forum hero
Hint: there is an anagram in Jaspers last clue.

Cheesemaster

Cheers for the shoe knowledge. Turns out i'm not alone in my shoe addition! The new Five ten dragons arrived in a ten as my old ones, prity darn tight, think ill stick with them but reacon half a size up would be similar fit to the old ones. Bit of disparity in shoe sizing for me..... scarpa instincts in 7 1/2, dragons a 10?

Paul B

• forum hero
Who knows anything about Fiveten Hiangles?

http://outdoorretailerhub.com/discover-new-or/57/FIVE+TEN+-+HIANGLE+WOMENS

The stiffest downturned shoe in our line, the FIVE TEN Hiangle Women’s combines the proven performance of Stealth C4 rubber, the comfort and breathability of unlined leather and the power of our Dragon last. The Hiangle was designed to be a versatile downturned shoe for experienced technical climbers.

tomtom

• forum hero

Cheers for the shoe knowledge. Turns out i'm not alone in my shoe addition! The new Five ten dragons arrived in a ten as my old ones, prity darn tight, think ill stick with them but reacon half a size up would be similar fit to the old ones. Bit of disparity in shoe sizing for me..... scarpa instincts in 7 1/2, dragons a 10?

+1.. Scarpa Velcro instincts 7, Dragons 9.5.. Anasazi velcroids 7.5...

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Really love the velcro dragons -- the rubber, the heel, the colors. So I scored a pair recently off fleabay

Is collecting vintage climbing shoes a thing? It should be.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:39:41 am by krymson »

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
They were amazing shoes.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#21 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
February 03, 2014, 10:44:27 am
so i guess dragon velcros arent made anymore?  correct guess?  shame they look fab and I could fancy some... anybody got any sources for any?  I take it sizing is same as my lace ups? 

Paul B

• forum hero
#22 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
September 10, 2014, 08:59:56 pm
Who knows anything about Fiveten Hiangles?

http://outdoorretailerhub.com/discover-new-or/57/FIVE+TEN+-+HIANGLE+WOMENS

The stiffest downturned shoe in our line, the FIVE TEN Hiangle Women’s combines the proven performance of Stealth C4 rubber, the comfort and breathability of unlined leather and the power of our Dragon last. The Hiangle was designed to be a versatile downturned shoe for experienced technical climbers.

So, I fondled a hiangle tonight. FiveTen have found some backbone and injected it into this boot. At £90 they're not a ridiculously expensive shoe either.

cha1n

• forum hero
#23 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
September 10, 2014, 09:25:08 pm
Nice. Do you mean they're stiff?

Where did you fondle them to? Anywhere in the Sheffield area?

Paul B

• forum hero
#24 Re: Old five ten dragon versus new dragons
September 10, 2014, 09:33:53 pm
They weren't for sale, and yes they're stiff. Seemed like they could have a flaw but they're certainly more interesting than my Teams (too soft).

I thought you were meant to be being faithful to a shoe for longer than a month while you channel-surf the barbershops of Sheffield anyhow? :jab:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal