UKBouldering.com

Coxbench Castle Bouldering (Read 3627 times)

rich d

• forum hero
Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 07, 2014, 04:06:31 pm
So a quick look on peak bouldering shows it's the closest thing outdoors for a quick climb from Nottingham. But has anyone been? and if so what's it like?

There's not much info on peakboulderinginfo, does say there are 20 problems, but I can't see any details of them, google's not helping either.

Cheers Rich

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#1 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 09, 2014, 07:29:05 pm
Coxbench/ Horsley is one of the few areas we didnt get a real chance to treat properly in the Froggatt guide. Its a pretty obscure venue with plenty to go at on softish sandstone for routes (bold) and bouldering. Worth a look if you like weird places. SK369429 p.505 Froggatt gives very brief notes.

rich d

• forum hero
#2 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 09, 2014, 07:49:00 pm
Coxbench/ Horsley is one of the few areas we didnt get a real chance to treat properly in the Froggatt guide. Its a pretty obscure venue with plenty to go at on softish sandstone for routes (bold) and bouldering. Worth a look if you like weird places. SK369429 p.505 Froggatt gives very brief notes.
Cheers, could be a good place for a quick session, location wise for me.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 09, 2014, 10:30:31 pm
I reckon from the centre of town to there is still about 30 mins.  It's only an extra 5 or 10 mins to get to get to Shining Cliff at Ambergate (via A610), The Matlock stuff (via J28).  Admittedly I'm not a great fan of soft sandy rock, but I reckon that would be time & fuel well used! 

Caveat: I've never been.  It may be amazing, but in 15 years of climbing round here then no one I know has either - apart from Offwidth...

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#4 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 10, 2014, 11:03:26 am
I'd personally much rather go to Pleasly, Shining Cliff, Black Rocks or even Trent Bridge or the Notts Uni lakeside walls but the question was asked. The Leicestershire stuff is a similar distance as well.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#5 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 10, 2014, 11:27:15 am
It looks great...

:no:

Have you been to Chasecliffe Rich? Not tons to do there but good quality. Along with Pleasley I find it the best place to get out for a time-challenged session from Notts.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#6 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 10, 2014, 01:28:35 pm
Not the most flattering of photos.... top tip avoid doing weddings. The crag shots we got during the guidebook work were much nicer. They even had a uniquely brilliant measure of height to scale them: the Jerry Moffatt cut-out.

Chasecliffe is fun but so are most of the SE venues in Froggatt.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 10, 2014, 05:53:03 pm
top tip avoid doing weddings.

;D

Not my picture, just the first image that comes up on Google and it amused me how bad it looks. I've never been there in fact so I'm probably dissing it unfairly. Can we see these Moffatt-assisted pics please?

Loads of quality in the south east Peak for sure. I recommended Chasecliffe in particular as I find it has the shortest Notts to crag time in my experience.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 10, 2014, 07:12:28 pm
Leashaw is good for highballs and even has a scrap or two of bouldering potential. Ever checked out Crich Tor? Haven't been there since I lived in Alfreton. Might be worth checking out.

rich d

• forum hero
#9 Re: Coxbench Castle Bouldering
January 10, 2014, 07:37:22 pm
Never been to chaseclife either. Growing up close to caley, then living just half an hour from burbs he has spoilt me a bit. Now I'm south of the river in notts, the local stuff looks a little meh. I probably should check out the Leicester stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal