UKBouldering.com

Mountain Buggy prams (Read 5565 times)

roddersm

• stalker
Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 09:29:42 am
Hi all,

We are looking to buy an all terrain stroller and aren't sure whether to go for the Mountain buggy swift or Urban Jungle, does anyone have any experience of these?

The Swift seems a lot more lightweight and probably better for general urban use and travelling but not sure how well it compares with the bigger wheeled models, like the Urban Jungle or Out n about nipper, on rougher terrain - tracks, fields, beaches...bouldering areas like font .... has anyone used this model? 

Thanks.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 10:42:08 am
No idea on those specific models, but having spent a fair bit of money on a fancy all-terrain buggy it gets very little use. The wife finds it too heavy and prefers a cheapo lightweight buggy, I prefer a rucksack (or papoose when he was smaller) - if you can't imagine taking a wheelchair somewhere a pram won't be much better. Wheels don't work so well on sand full stop.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 10:47:58 am
Agree with JB. We were given a tour de tot one, and never used it - make me an offer if you want it!

Get a decent backpack carrier instead. No pushchair is any good on a beach or the sandier bits of font, and you will find obstacles that make them a pain in most other places.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 10:48:30 am
Theres a long thread on this that can be summarized as follows:

- Buy a MacLaren Techno XT with footmuff and a carrier of your preferred type.

You won't regret it.

roddersm

• stalker
#4 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 11:04:08 am
Thanks guys good points - the MB swift looks pretty lightweight with decent air tyres so maybe this would be a better bet of these two and then use a rucksack carrier for tougher terrain... rather than getting a bigger wheeled model which may be a pain for general use?

Will have a look at the McLaren though. Cheers. 

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 11:24:09 am
Rucksack for carrying kids...

The easy way down by slack---line, on Flickr

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 11:42:22 am
Theres a long thread on this that can be summarized as follows:

- Buy a MacLaren Techno XT with footmuff and a carrier of your preferred type.

You won't regret it.

Word

T_B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 12:10:30 pm
We had one of the Deuter child carriers bought for us, and though I'm not entirely in love with it, it is good in that you can stand it on the ground and leave child sleeping upright it in. In other words, it has the same advantage as a buggy (getting child to sleep). That said, we've used pushchairs in Font successfully..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#8 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 12:58:29 pm
Don't leave it upright with child in it unless you are standing on it or holding it up! They aren't at all stable and can fall over with the slightest movement from child.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 01:53:28 pm
Don't leave it upright with child in it unless you are standing on it or holding it up!
or take guy ropes

SA Chris

• forum hero
#10 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 01:54:57 pm
Anything, just don't lleave it unattended and unsupported. Could even string it up as a swing!

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#11 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 01:56:04 pm
Some of them are a lot more stable than others. Falling over doesn't seem to have done mine any harm, and it is a good way to alert you that they are awake..

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 02:02:05 pm
We've got a Deuter, I wouldn't trust it, but it seems like I'm just being a paranoid parent.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 02:38:06 pm
Thanks guys good points - the MB swift looks pretty lightweight with decent air tyres so maybe this would be a better bet of these two and then use a rucksack carrier for tougher terrain... rather than getting a bigger wheeled model which may be a pain for general use?

Will have a look at the McLaren though. Cheers.

If you make a decision quickly, Mothercare has a great deal on grey Techno XTs in stock with another 15% off TODAY only, £155 is a bargain.
http://www.mothercare.com/Maclaren-Techno-XT-Stroller-2013-Model---Black/560061,default,pd.html#q=techno%20xt

Kiddicare has the blue or pink/red one for £175. Standard price is £215
https://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?storeId=10001&catalogId=10751&langId=-1&fcd=set&Ntk=primary&N=0&Ns=NumberSold%7C1&pageView=&Ntt=techno+xt

The footmuffs are around £50 new.

T_B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 03:30:52 pm
We've got a Deuter, I wouldn't trust it, but it seems like I'm just being a paranoid parent.

I'm totally paranoid, but it's always seemed v stable to me  :doubt:

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#15 Re: Mountain Buggy prams
January 07, 2014, 04:40:40 pm
We got a second hand Land Rover buggy off ebay. They don't make them any more, but they often come up on ebay. Not good for a very small baby unless you get the baby insert bit (there's still a site that sells spares). Cheap, simple and pretty bombproof for bouncing over rocks and through mud. Think we paid about £100 for ours and will use it for the second one now that the first one can lie on the ground refusing to walk anywhere can walk a reasonable distance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal