UKBouldering.com

Child friendly Peak District Crags? (Read 8186 times)

Fadanoid

• addict
Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 11:01:51 am
Good Morning all.

I have a family trip planned in a couple of months and wanted to ask if anyone on here can recommend the best places to take a keen bouldering 6 yr old?

I'm thinking Cratcliffe top boulders is the best place for a start, but if anyone has taken their kids anywhere else and thinks the climbs there aren't lacking in possibilities for kids then I'd be grateful for the info.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 11:30:57 am
Burbage South?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Fadanoid

• addict
#3 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 12:03:21 pm
Cheers Slackers, that didn't come up in my searches.

SA Chris -  That was on my mind, plus there is the bonus of trying to look at the shape descriptions of the boulders with the kids  8)

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#4 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 01:15:09 pm
One of the areas I didnt emphasise on the other thread was Burbage North (the very start and the blocks under Ash tree wall)  and Higgar area bouldering which Moff and I updated last summer. There is loads of unlisted easy bouldering we have put up on the pages below which is ideal for kids (and more on some other guide pages as well). Cratcliffe/Robin Hood Stride is really good though in Feb/March as you can normally find somewhere sheltered and dry if anything anywhere will be.

http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/higgar_area.html
http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/burbage_north.html
http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/burbages_boulders.html
http://offwidth.uptosummit.com/cratcliffe.html

Fadanoid

• addict
#5 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 01:56:11 pm
Thanks Offwidth, that's a VERY handy set of links!  :2thumbsup:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#6 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 02:35:58 pm
For a six-year old its also worth thinking of areas where they can also just enjoy exploring (caves etc) and messing about. Rowtor is the ultimate Peak venue for this, but Robin Hood's stride and the south side of Higgar is also good. Worth noting that at Cratcliffe there is a massive crag hidden behind the boulders so don't let them wander off...

Fadanoid

• addict
#7 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 02:56:44 pm
I think both mine will love exploring Rowtor. Isn't there also a sheer drop behind the bus stop mantle block from memory?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#8 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 06, 2014, 02:58:42 pm
Yes.

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#9 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 09, 2014, 11:15:05 am
For a six-year old its also worth thinking of areas where they can also just enjoy exploring (caves etc) and messing about...

Good point. Thats partly why we wrote Troglodytes tours in the BMC guides. Also great fun when It's too wet to climb.

danm

• junky
#10 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 09, 2014, 11:34:54 am
Higgar Tor is perfect for adventurous youngsters to go "weaseling". There's plenty of easy bouldering, tunnels and squeezes. You'll need to spot and direct them rather than let them run wild, works best if you go on a little journey, looking for problems, tunnels and jumps. Great fun (not just for them!)

tomtom

• forum hero
#11 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 09, 2014, 12:02:43 pm
I took my niece to BBG-S last summer - and its a great spot agreed, but - it is a bit of a walk from the car park (which was pleasant enough but induced some moaning..)..

Higgar is a good spot - but the weasling/climbing part moves into the shade in the afternoon..

Offwidth

• forum hero
    • Offwidth
#12 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 09, 2014, 07:23:22 pm
When the sun goes in on the east side and irs too cold on the top blocks you go round to the south boulders.... a real sun trap and there are tunnels and slots in the edge and under blocks eg the big slab.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#13 Re: Child friendly Peak District Crags?
January 11, 2014, 07:41:51 am
as mentioned Burbage North has a good number of smaller boulders easily accessible from the main path

Walk down the main path as far as Sentinel and then steadily work your way back to the bridge

most of the smaller rocks are in a natural state, but kids don't seem to mind a bit of green rock - with more traffic they'll end up a bit cleaner

small people should not be set loose with wire brushes to clean lichen off the rock no matter how impressive their track record of climbing grit

the rocks on the Higgar plateau are handy in the middle of summer because they can catch enough breeze to keep the midges away

roddersm

• stalker
Any recommendations with a pram and 1(ish) year old? For bouldering specifically but mid grade sport possibly too...

Thanks.

SamT

• forum hero

Burb north/south - the track through the valley is fairly pram friendly.  One person could wander along the track whilst the other(s) boulder/solo.

Trackside at Curbar?

Sport.. again, the cycle trail/railway line is fairly pram friendly at Chee Dale, but you'd struggle to get the pram off the main cycle path down to the crags themselves, but as per Burbage - its a nice walk along the track and back.  It is predominantly a cycle track though so worth not walking along it 4 abreast like some twunts.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
I would suggest Stanage far right, there are a number of very suitable boulders for children and enough fun stuff for adults too, the walk up from the Burbage bridge should be faily buggy friendly too.

tomtom

• forum hero
Any recommendations with a pram and 1(ish) year old? For bouldering specifically but mid grade sport possibly too...

Thanks.

Rubicon?

SamT

• forum hero

Thanks.

Rubicon?

Is it an amphibious pram.

crazy climbing pete

• regular
    • ChedelaBloc
Thanks guys - taking my girlfriend and her eight-year old in a week and was thinking Burbage South. Will have a look at North as well.

Thanks for the useful info

tomtom

• forum hero

Thanks.

Rubicon?

Is it an amphibious pram.

:D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal