UKBouldering.com

Running Hill Pits (Read 2335 times)

JamieG

• forum hero
Running Hill Pits
June 07, 2019, 05:11:44 pm
Just a heads up if you are going into quarry 8 (crack school?). My brother and I were up there yesterday evening and it looks like some big rocks have fallen (been pushed?) off the top on the left just as you enter the quarry mouth. I don't think it affects any of the routes, but it might be loose around Firefly area. My brother took a photo, i'll try to get him to upload it.

Also there is a dead sheep and lamb just at the entrance. I don't think this is related since it looks like they have just been brought up into the quarry (maybe from the fields). But it also looks like the farmer has been in the quarry with a tractor shifting around some of the loose rocks and boulders. I'm not sure why. Maybe burying the dead sheep/lambs? Which I'm not sure you are supposed to do.

Perhaps it is a good idea to maintain a low profile when visiting since there are also a whole bunch of new 'private land' signs on the gates into the fields on the left as you walk up the track. I'm not aware of any access issues, but I don't know if all the quarries are on CROW land or not. If you click the pdf map at the bottom right of this link it suggest that maybe quarries 7 and 8 aren't actually on CROW land (bottom left), so maybe need a more delicate approach.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Running Hill Pits
June 07, 2019, 09:39:30 pm
Have a look on UKC, there's been some similar reports over the last year or so.

deacon

• addict
#2 Re: Running Hill Pits
June 08, 2019, 06:52:48 am
Must be fairly recent as we were there a couple of weekends ago and there were no rock issues. Lots of dead sheep about though and it definitely seemed as though they were placed under the starts of certain routes.

JamieG

• forum hero
#3 Re: Running Hill Pits
June 09, 2019, 08:01:19 pm
Looking on the BMC quarries 7 and 8 aren't on CROW land https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=1004 So I guess they definitely need a subtle approach.

Here is the ukc thread with people discussing recent access issues. Seems like people have been asked to leave a few times. https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/crag_access/access_change_to_running_hill_pits-694111

Hopefully it doesn't escalate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal