UKBouldering.com

Greno woods beta (Read 3233 times)

ianv

• forum abuser
Greno woods beta
December 19, 2013, 10:46:04 am
All my local stuff is currently getting decimated by forestry operations and looking for somewhere to ride with jr. over Christmas. Was thinking Greno might fit the bill.

Where do you park? How do you get to the trails? Do they get muddy? Is the push up easy? Is it worth the hour drive from Bradford?

Push up is an important one as I will no doubt end up pushing both our bikes so if its anything like Wharncliffe its no good.

cofe

• forum hero
#1 Re: Greno woods beta
December 19, 2013, 11:40:01 am
I'm no expert, but...

Park at the top Wharncliffe car park, on the way north out of Grenoside. Cross the road and go straight up into the woods (blue line opposite parking).

Pub Run (and variants) starts on a small singletrack directly ahead at the first junction, just left of a massive motorway bridleway. Keep veering right (they've recently rebuilt it - use to be more natural on the top bit, now it's jumps etc...). Or watch out for left turns for big jumps in the clearing. Gets muddy in the clearing. Push up the trails, or the bridleway motorway.

For Steel City, turn left at the first junction and head uphill. Watch out for a starting ramp on the right at top of hill. Follow your nose. At bottom, push/ride up wide track to the south.

For DH3 (I think that's what it's called) keep going past Steel City and look on right. Variants here.

Trails are more peddally, less steep than Wharncliffe. Push up isn't very steep on the two wide tracks marked. The more recent, manufactured stuff holds up better in the wet.

I'm sure Fatdoc or someone will have more info.

ianv

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Greno woods beta
December 19, 2013, 12:39:29 pm
Cheers for that  :thumbsup:

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Greno woods beta
December 19, 2013, 01:32:14 pm
Awesome map. What Cofe said...

But, the big jump line off pub run is off limits. It's not sanctioned, runs over a ancient site of archeological national interest, and has been closed off this week.

I've pushed me and my lads bike the steel city track many a time.

See video here.... The second. Half is the now closed one, there are other greno vids on my channel, link below.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Greno woods beta
December 21, 2013, 11:51:48 am
Cheers for that  :thumbsup:

give us a shout when you are there Ian and i will pop over for a spin. not ridden Greno in a long time so it will all be new to me but there is a lot in Wharncliffe woods which is good, a fair bit of it too isn't easy to find as its just sneaky hidden single track stuff. i lived at the bottom of the hill at Wharncliffe for about 6 years so know it well.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Greno woods beta
December 21, 2013, 11:54:27 am
By the way there is some less steep stuff in Wheata wood and Prior Royd if you look at the map, and the resulting push/ride back up isn't as hellish as the lower stuff in Wharncliffe

ianv

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Greno woods beta
December 21, 2013, 08:15:57 pm
 I intended to anyway but now I know you are a guru.... :beer2:

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Greno woods beta
December 22, 2013, 10:01:14 am
I intended to anyway but now I know you are a guru.... :beer2:
Don't expect too much, I might know a lot of the tracks but my ability is still pretty terrible!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal