UKBouldering.com

Albums, music, songs of 2013.. (Read 13836 times)

underground

• forum hero
#25 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 07, 2013, 12:01:51 pm
More tracks:
Osunlade - 'Dionne' perfect deep house. Nothing but a great vocal sample and a beat. Gorgeously simple.

Alex Barck - 'Spinning Around' (from the 'Reunion' album but I didn't like it as a whole album)

Kanye West - 'Bound 2' (mad triggered soul sample, straight flow, what else is required? I thought the rest of the album was shite, and this track gets slightly into the same territory - loud obnoxious bullshit sample, but none of the electric drums, synths,  autotune and loudmouth 'singing' the rest of it suffers from) Such a shame as the guy obviously has flow skills. Modern mainstream hip hop FFS.

Zuco 103 - 'Nunca Mais' - Brazilelectro according to wikipedia (but Dutch!) I love the roll of this one, the sunshine vocals and the  punch of the piano. Struggling to describe it but it reminds me ever so slightly of 90's Da Lata and the Patrick Forge Stop and Listen vol 4. album. Suffice to say I thought the rest of the album was rubbish.

Naughty Boy - 'La La La' - I thought it was a proper banger. Found it by accident on youtube by virtue of the brilliant video, love it.

Album:

The Wave Pictures  - City Forgiveness. First all-the-way-through listen was tonight in spite of an October release (alhtough I heard 'Missoula' really loud in the motor car when Marc Riley played it a while ago- one of those 'park up and write it down' moments but I think I didn't as I was late for pickup from Beavers. Raw yet brilliant accomplished guitar, great interesting voice and real lyrics. Ever since I heard 'Instant Coffee Baby' these guys can do no wrong. 'Lisbon' is amazing....

Old tracks:
Dionne Warwick - 'You're Gonna Need Me' - backsection vocal into the first bit of real verse, oh my word, key change..... those who know... hairs stand up.

Gilles played this (on 6music 28/10/2013) and I loved it,:

Stabbsy

• junky
#26 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 09, 2013, 04:10:07 pm
Albums :-

Tom McRae - From The Lowlands. Big return to form after a couple of patchy albums. Also my gig of the year, seeing him do a solo show in an old church.
The National - Trouble Will Find Me. Just great, so understated at first but grows with each time you listen.
Cloud Control - Dream Cave. Loved the previous album, but was quite a big change in direction so took a bit of listening to. Bit of a 60s feel this time.
Goldheart Assembly - Long Distance Song Effects. A couple of standout tracks that were played on 6Music a fair bit, but the rest of the album is quality.

A few other tracks (largely from the 6Music playlist) :-

Daughter - Youth
Bleached - Dead In Your Head
Family Of The Year - The Stairs

Old Stuff :-

Bonobo - Animal Magic. Started listening to it again after the new album came out, still my favourite of his albums.
Little People - Mickey Mouse Operation. Got this after some tracks appeared on Dosage series years ago and was reminded of its existence earlier in the year.
The National - Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers. After the new album came out, I revisited some old stuff.

Mazzy Star - 'Seasons of your Day'

I'd missed this one, will have to check it out.

fried

• forum hero
#27 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 12, 2013, 05:42:26 pm
I almost forgot this which I rediscovered this year. It's been on heavy rotation, brilliant.

Half-Japanese - 'House of voodoo'

neilslim

• regular
#28 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 12, 2013, 08:34:01 pm
Another nod for Cold War Kids - Dear Miss Lonely Hearts, great band, got to see them in Manchester this year finally!
 Got told about Rival Sons early this year, very Led Zep like, saw them in leeds too.
 Saw a Canadian band called The Sheepdogs, in the Bodega in Notts, who were amazing, there was only 8 other people watching! Got to have a few beers with them after aswell! Really recommend them if you like laid back southern style rock...
 Been a good year for me for gigs, Band of Skulls, Neil Young and crazy horse, Stone Roses at Finsbury, Skunk Anansie, Oli Brown and Jurassic 5 were some of the others I saw.
And I got a T-shirt from each and every one. The Rival Sons one has 4 howling wolves on it, so is naturally my climbing one...

underground

• forum hero
#29 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 12, 2013, 10:45:23 pm
Just realised I left a glaring album omission, and actually probably my most listened to album as it hasn't been out of the car CD slot since I got it (it came as a 12" vinyl release with included CD and the vinyl is as yet unplayed on my bookshelf):

Kill The Captains - 'Sounds Mean'

I'm not going to try to make this sound like a review, but I'll confess that this is the work of a great friend of mine (Leon Carter, guitars/vocal) and his band. That aside it's a really, really excellent album - very diverse with some proper loud/driving/complex musicianship and great songwriting. it's easy to draw some comparisons with Television to my ears, and Leon told me he was influenced by Gang of Four among others but I can't really place this. 'Safety Words' is a masterpiece IMHO. Also 'The Taking of' - a really beautiful track within the melee of it all - written for Leon's mum who died tragically, is a poignant counterpoint.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 13, 2013, 08:56:10 am
Couple of others I forgot from last year too which have had a fair bit of play this year;

Guillemots - Hello Land. IMO as good as (almost) anything they've done.

Beth Orton - Sugaring Season. Most consistently good British singer / songwriter around? Discuss.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#31 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 14, 2013, 08:27:28 am
Beth Orton - Sugaring Season. Most consistently good British singer / songwriter around? Discuss.

Not a bad call...

I seem to be getting soft in my increasing age and have been rather taken with Goldfrapp's "Tales of Us" recently.
Pretty much all the other new music I've been listening to was actually released last year!

Gallant

• player
#32 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 14, 2013, 10:37:20 am
A rare post from me (and I'm reasonably sure 50% of my total posts are in music related threads now):

Dillinger Escape Plan - One of us is the Killer
Yet another record in the same vein as the rest of their back catalogue, and by that, I mean it's absolutely bloody fantastic start to finish. Track of the album: The threat posed by nuclear weapons
They were absolutely fantastic live too, although the venue seemed a bit sterile due to it being bloody huge, and there being far too many children with fringes there throwing punches in pits rather than having fun.

Touché Amoré - Is survived by
Not quite as good as Parting the Sea Between Brightness and Me, but still a bloody good album from start to finish. Track of the album: Harbor
Again, fantastic live. Although the support act - Self Defence Family - sported a very Dave Graham-esque front man, which was a bit weird.

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
By no means their best work, but I definitely prefer it to Era Vulgaris. Track of the album: My God is the Sun

Great Cynics - Like I belong
Quite a album overall, couldn't fault it for being a decent poppy punk record. Track of the album: Find the Humour

Surfer Blood - Pythons
Pretty catchy tracks flow through-out this, couldn't really pick a stand out song though.

Bonobo - The North Borders
Decent album overall. Had on repeat in the board room at our house, as it's alright to train to. Track of the album: Cirrus

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#33 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 14, 2013, 01:02:49 pm

Forgot about that one... It's great.

I'm looking forward to sitting down over Christmas and listening to some of these.

kelvin

• forum hero
#34 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 14, 2013, 01:21:38 pm
The new Emika album Dva has just sneaked in as fave album of the year for me. Wasn't sure she could top her first one but she's managed it comfortably.

Of course the Coheed and Cambria album Afterman-Decension has been caned constantly and Placebo's latest is on loop as I'm off to see them on Tuesday.

That Ed Sheeran track at the end of The Hobbit 2 is pretty sweet.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#35 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 14, 2013, 01:45:20 pm
Cheers for the Beth Orton heads-up - it's currently downloading from 7digital along with Midlake's new album (thought I'd give it a bash despite loosing the frontman) and How to Stop Your Brain in an Accident by Future of the Left. Something to listen to in the office today...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#36 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 14, 2013, 02:26:42 pm
What I've heard of the Midlake album is really good and maybe actually better than their earlier stuff (which must be a bit annoying for the departed frontman).

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#37 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 14, 2013, 02:48:57 pm
What I've heard of the Midlake album is really good and maybe actually better than their earlier stuff (which must be a bit annoying for the departed frontman).

Some of the quotes from the new frontman make it appear that the knives are out!! Almost a "good riddance..."

I'll see how I get on. Just half-listened to Beth while tapping away on the keyboard - so far so good.  :2thumbsup:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#38 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 16, 2013, 03:39:41 pm
If you allow me to wax lyrical for a bit re Beth Orton; I think it's great that an artist whose profile has dropped somewhat since their high profile first couple of albums can continue to produce good stuff and be supported by their record company for nearly a decade afterwards though a dedicated fanbase. Gives you hope for the industry (sometimes). 

andy popp

• forum hero
#39 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 17, 2013, 09:07:01 am
Anna von Hausswolff: beautiful Swedish girl singing pop songs about death. What's not to like?

kelvin

• forum hero
#40 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 17, 2013, 09:31:24 am
She's on Spotify now...

kelvin

• forum hero
#41 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 17, 2013, 10:41:25 am
Anna von Hausswolff: beautiful Swedish girl singing pop songs about death. What's not to like?

That Deathbed song - brilliant! Thought Kate Bush has walked in the room from years ago and it's just simply 'epic'.

Thank you Mr Popp, right enjoyed this morning's listening so far.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#42 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 17, 2013, 11:08:33 am
 :agree:

Superb Mr Popp!

Vaguely reminiscent of Dead Can Dance in places...

andy popp

• forum hero
#43 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 17, 2013, 11:17:27 am
I saw her at festivals twice this summer; its an intense and quite noisy act live.

chris20

• menacing presence
#44 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 18, 2013, 03:02:36 pm
I think this is a great track

Durbs

• forum hero
#45 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 18, 2013, 04:40:20 pm
Erin K - I Have a Knack
https://erink.bandcamp.com/album/i-have-a-knack

If only because it took us bloody ages to release the thing ;)
(Yeah, plugging my own band - I'm that cool)

Of other people's music:
Nick Drake - Push the sky away (as already mentioned)
Wall (Lyla Foy) - Various EPs & Singles, all rather lovely
Jamie Lenman - Muscle Memory (Double album - "Muscle" is very heavy post-hardcore, bit too much for me, but "Memory" is a thing of wonder, from the ex-Reuben singer)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#46 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 18, 2013, 11:23:02 pm
Burial's "Rival Dealer" enters the top ten as a late December entry.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#47 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 18, 2013, 11:33:09 pm
Some gigs.  London is great for live music and Primaverasound in Barca was pretty special.

#1 has to be Swans. Transcendental.

Death Grips, Dinosaur Jr, Nick Cave, Savages, Postal Service, Wu-Tang, Neurosis, Om, Fucked Up, Four Tet all at PrimaveraSound by the seaside.

Bogs of Aurghiska and Wardruna at the QEH.

Godspeed with Duncan.

Watain

Glenn Danzig with Doyle playing a Misfits set.

James Blake (somewhat ruined by bellends talking throughout)

Comus and Shirley Collins.

The Necks at cafe OTO

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#48 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 19, 2013, 06:28:41 pm
North Wales is not so good for gigs (no shit sherlock), but My Bloody Valentine at Festival No.6 were mind blowing. One of the the most memorable and certainly the loudest live performance I've ever witnessed. It was so intense half the crowd left! Just incredible.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#49 Re: Albums, music, songs of 2013..
December 19, 2013, 06:32:33 pm
Did I mention Chvrches? Wish I'd been at this gig; jaw droppingly good:

(and yes, i realise it was in 2012 -doh!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal