UKBouldering.com

N Yorkshire bouldering - recommendations? (Read 2561 times)

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
N Yorkshire bouldering - recommendations?
November 19, 2013, 12:54:09 pm
Hi all,

I'm up in North Yorkshire at the weekend (near Richmond) with my partner to visit family. We are hoping to get out bouldering on Saturday, and I am after some crag recommendations.

- I'd be keen for some good problems in the 6A - 7B range
- Girlfriend climbs around 6A and we may have non-climbing sister in tow, so it would be a bonus if there are some decent easy / friendly routes. Also a bonus if it is a nice place / good view.
- Conditions / aspect will be key as I suspect it will be baltic, I'd assume avoid exposed / moorland stuff?
- Not too far to travel, as we will be limited on time

I've been to Slipstones a couple of times, liked it but went once in January and it was painfully cold. Would this be ok conditions at this time of year? I've also been to a couple of very local esoteric / locals venues (e.g. Arkengarthdale), would prefer somewhere with a bit more scope and quality.

I have considered Goldsborough Carr, but think it may actually be too cold. Thoughts?

Would be grateful for any local knowledge / suggestions. Thanks UKB.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Hi,

As it goes I was up there a few years back and had a great time.

I'd recommend a scan of the betaguides site as there's some invaluable / cheap / free info on there. In terms of where we went Duck Rocks and Clemmits In The Woods were both good - we ended up at Stoupe Brow one day due to weather and there's loads there, but just not much at my grade.

Video highlights / Shabba soundtrack here:

rootask

• regular
ftp://

Hi Luke, Roova Crag was one of the best places I've been too in a long time. There's loads of really good easy stuff and a couple of excellent 7a/+s. Views and rock quality rival anything in yorkshire imo. It is at the top of a massive hill, but i don't think it'd be any worse than Goldsborough - although that's not saying much.

Stewart

• menacing presence
As a recently self-conferred authority on all things yorkshire (visited for the first time a few weeks ago) I can point out your are less than an hour from Brimham which is a good place for non-climber and climbers alike..

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 N Yorkshire bouldering - recommendations?
November 19, 2013, 07:01:14 pm
Slipstones will be mint this time of year - but could be bastard cold (though is south facing so sheltered from Northerlys..)...

Lee (Betaguides) is the man to ask about NYMoors venues - he's been beavering away on a guide for the region for the last 2 or more years...

Jay d

I'd say slipstones too , although I'd wrap up warm

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Might risk Slipstones, if it is baltic we could just go for a walk. Roova also looks interesting, hadn't heard of this one before.

lukeyboy

• forum abuser
We went to slipstones in the end - amazingly it was almost too sunny and warm! Had a really good day out. Thanks all.

Wood FT

• forum hero
Lee (Betaguides) is the man to ask about NYMoors venues - he's been beavering away on a guide for the region for the last 2 or more years...

It's going to be bloody brilliant

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal