UKBouldering.com

Starting to commute by bike, tips needed. (Read 37656 times)

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Starting to commute by bike, tips needed.
November 16, 2013, 05:33:35 pm
Hello there, Ive decided to join you communist 2 wheelers and am looking for commuting tips from the pros please.

Let me set the scene, I'll be cycling to work 3-4 times a week. It'll be when I'm working lates so don't need to worry about getting shirts, trousers etc to work. Work has a pretty good lock up for bikes and there is space to store my clothing schizzle. Things I need advice on are the following:

-Is it worth investing in decent outer wear or should I go cheap as it'll probably get trashed pretty quickly. The Decathlon stuff looks pretty reasonable. I'm planning on biking in pretty much all weather conditions. Any other clothing bits to be recommended? Fancy shoe covers? What sort of gloves? It gets pretty baltic at 3 in the morn.

-What sort of safety gear? Lights are a must and I have a high vis jacket I can stick on. Any other bits?

-What sort of repair schizzle do people carry? My minimum research has thrown up puncture kit, multi tool, spare innertube and surgical gloves to keep my little hands clean. Do people think 'puncture proof' tyres are worth a go? I have minimum repair skills.

-Is it worth getting panniers, I've read riding with a rucksack can be a bit troublesome but I'd rather that than racks.

Thanks in advance and apologies for my basic questions. Any other hints or tips gratefully received.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
How far is the commute?

If it's a couple of miles then a spare tube and a pump (or canister of c02) would probably be enough. (if you need tools to get the wheels off, then those too).  5 miles+ you might want a multi-tool.

I'd say go cheap on the gear. I don't have paniers but I tended to take a lot of things with me in the car and leave them at work. (i.e. on the days I cycle only take what I need for the ride. Clothes, towel, toiletries etc. stay at work).

Some folks say a red LED on the back of your helmet is a good plan for extra visibility.

ianv

• forum abuser
1. If you you get a decent jacket it will last ages, Overtrousers are worth it when its cold or pissing down. Overshoes are pretty much a  must, I use ski gloves when its cold and Aldi winter ones when its like now. Mud guards would be a good idea as well.

2. Put a load of lights on as bikes seem to be pretty invisible to the majority of drivers

3. Just get a couple of inner tubes a pump and tyre levers for spares. Punctures are the only thing you are likely to be mending on the road. Deffo look at the anti puncture tyres, Specialized Armadillo are pretty good and save a lot of hassle.

4. Just use a rucksack unless you have a problem with getting a sweaty back. I tried panniers and reverted to a rucksack as it was less hassle.

erm, sam

• forum hero
mudguards are a good tip as not having a wet arse makes cycling in the rain much more bearable.

I would say not to splash out on expensive gear straight away. Buy a cheap jacket and get on with it. If you are still commuting in a few months then you have earned the right to a decent jacket. Having said that I cycle in a pair of windstopper softshell tights/fitted trou that do a brilliant job of keeping wet off but not over heating and are good for every day in the winter. They are a marked improvement on lycra or and overtrousers.
I wear a hi vis vest and have one wrapped around my rucksack and have double back and front lights. Doubling up is good due to increased vis obviously but also it is inevitable that you will be just about to leave work and will realise that your light battery has died. You either have to cycle all the way home on the pavements or detour to get another battery. If you have two lights you always can get home on the single and sort out the batterys later...

I also wear a peaked cap under my helmet when it is raining (mine is goretex but a normal one would do the job) again not having the rain blast your face makes cycling in the rain much less horrible. I don't bother with overshoes and just get wet feet but don't cycle that far so just accept it. Though every winter I almost buy some overshoes or what have you and then spring starts...

I don't take any tools or pump but only cycle 5km so can just push home if I have to. Very rare though.

Evil

• addict
Yeah, I also tried panniers for a while, but went back to a rucksack and a consequently lighter bike, which I prefer. When the weather is rubbish, I'd rather go as fast as possible, and the sweat from a rucksack is pretty minimal when it's cold anyway. Having a small rucksack also encourages me to take as little stuff with me as possible.

I've not managed to keep my feet from getting wet in heavy rain. In this case, stuffing the shoes with newspaper means they'll dry before you have to do it again the next morning.

I go for a thin waterproof, and vary the amount of clothing underneath it, as it gets very sweaty in a waterproof (unless it is extremely cold), and try and just wear a windproof jacket with the waterproof one stuffed in my bag for heavy rain eventualities.

Can't really advise on gloves, not managed to find any that don't still induce painful hands, but that was true when I was motorbiking in the most ridiculous massive gloves too.

This'll probably curse me, but I've not actually had a puncture in the last 3 years commuting 8 miles each way on our gloriously glass covered London roads with Bontrager Race Lite tyres (despite the name, they are puncture resistant Kevlar lines ones). They are also pretty cheap. Can't remember what tyres I was running before that. I do carry a spare tube etc though (which I view as protection against getting a puncture!).

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
 :guilty:been committing by bike 12 years now:

a lite weight rain jacket as most of the time it'll be in the ruck sack.
Yes ruck sack but it's personal preference.
Carry spare tube. Mini pump. Tyre levers. Patch kit with quid for emergencies. Multi tool just in case.
Lights front and back. I tend to leave them onboard the bike all year as sometimes the weather is shit in the summer.
Not tight shoes and spare socks in the sack on wet days. Over shoes are nice in harsh frosts.
Clear safety glasses for crap off the road.
I'm using Altura gloves this winter. Better than the endura ones. Make sure the fleecy inner lining is stitched in cos if it pulls out its a bitch.
Helly Hanson.
In cold weather, fleecy lined leggings are lovely and keepin your core warm keeps your feet warmer.
+1 on puncture resistant tyres.

Oh one last essential... Smug expression for when you realise its brilliant and miles better than being in a car/train/bus!

And play nicely with the saps still stuck in cars!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
This all reminds me, I really should pick up my commuter bike from my parents otherwise it'll be the bus to work for the next 6 weeks as I don't have a car.  I also don't have a place to stay but that's a different matter...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
See the other thread about good night lights. Getting two matching ones would be good so you could have a charger at home and one at work.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
-What sort of safety gear? Lights are a must and I have a high vis jacket I can stick on. Any other bits?

My experience as a driver is that moving sparkly bits on bikes are great for visibility. So even though they look dorky, orange pedal and spoke reflectors. Also tyres with reflective sidewalls, see below.

surgical gloves to keep my little hands clean.

Excellent idea, why have I never thought of it? However, you won't be needing them much because ...

Do people think 'puncture proof' tyres are worth a go?

Totally.

My commute involves a fair bit of parks and woodland, so I bought a used cyclocross bike on ebay. It came with proper racing tyres which handled beautifully on the rare occasions when they still had air in them, but so quickly became such a pain in the arse with the constant punctures that I replaced them with some armoured commuter tyres. They're not as sensitive as the thinner rubber, obviously, but it takes a great big f*ck off nail to get through them and that has only happened to me once.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
- Knog Blinder lights are great. Not cheap but great.
- Mudguards do work.
- Overtrousers for wet days are useful.
- Reflective jacket is a must, the £30 Decathlon one is about the brightest there is.
- Change of socks for wet days that catch you out.
- Decathlon clothing is cheap and fine.
- Neck warmer/headband/thin skull cap for really cold days.
Just bought one of these, excellent value
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXWINTER/winter_bundle

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Another vote for puncture resistant tyres. 

I carry a pump (for slow puncture/cold days) and multi-tool.

Yeah, I also tried panniers for a while, but went back to a rucksack and a consequently lighter bike, which I prefer.

Whether the weight is in a pannier on the bike or a rucksack on your back is irrelevant, you still have to move the same total amount of mass when you sit on the bike and start pedalling.

richie0210

• regular
I defo second the two set of lights,  I personally always have one on flash mode even during day light hours, and have the additional Led on my helmet.
A thin head cover/hat for under your helmet, the wind chill can almost be painfull during winter months.
Splash out on good gloves (Warm and waterproof) if you want to be able to feel you fingers by the time you arrive to work. I personally use Sealskinz gloves which have been brilliant.
I now find clear glasses a must and cant ride without them.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
from a car drivers point of view, hi-viz and good lights are a must. If you carry a rucksack put a hi viz over it

flyguy

• addict
#13 Starting to commute by bike, tips needed.
November 17, 2013, 10:47:45 am
Benefit of panniers over backpack means you don't have the weight on your back which can only be a good thing if you need to carry a lot of stuff into work. Doubles up as a mud guard too.

ajh

Consider a set of these instead of overtrousers:

http://www.rainlegs.com/en/home

They keep the rain off where it matters (and keep your legs warm) without restricting movement or getting too sweaty.

Definitely get overshoes - I've got the standard Endura neoprene ones and they've lasted 3 winters so far with no real problems (just the toes wearing out on my right foot where I put it down at traffic lights).

USB chargeable lights are brilliant - I bought a combination of the Lezyne micro/macro drive lights last year and they've been really good so far. Not cheap (~70 quid for the set) but I've not felt the need to buy anything else since.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
from a car drivers point of view, hi-viz and good lights are a must. If you carry a rucksack put a hi viz over it
And from a lorry driver's point of view, steer well clear of trucks and buses. Never, ever filter up alongside one, especially on the left hand side.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
Cheers guys, some good schizzle there, I've gone for the Planetx deal, nice one Obi Wan.

Sadly my e-bay find of the day has fallen through and I have no bike. I've seen a Cannondale Quick 4 on Gumtree but have am worried it may be a little 'hot', what should I be looking for? The guy has already told me he has no receipts due to a house move.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
And from a lorry driver's point of view, steer well clear of trucks and buses. Never, ever filter up alongside one, especially on the left hand side.

Bubbs, what's your take on coming up the inside at red lights then moving out to the middle? (if there's a bike space at the lights) Better to just stay behind?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:52:39 pm by Bubba, Reason: formatting »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
I guess that's ok if you know you have plenty of time to filter up the side and then stop a few feet in front of the wagon so the driver can't miss you, but if the lights might change then I'd hang back.

A lot of drivers aren't that cyclist-aware in the first place and may be looking at their sat-nav/map/paperwork instead of checking what's been coming up around the wagon.

Evil

• addict
Whether the weight is in a pannier on the bike or a rucksack on your back is irrelevant, you still have to move the same total amount of mass when you sit on the bike and start pedalling.

I think putting all the weight over the rear wheel doesn't help (though I'm not sure about that, it's just the way it feels), but no panniers also means I can have a carbon road bike which is definitely lighter and faster than a bike which accepts panniers. Didn't make that clear in the original post.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Treat every motorist as blind, drunk, daydreaming and incompetent and expect the unexpected.

You wouldn't catch me doing it. I a big believer in work not defining your life. It sure as hell isn't worth risking it to get there.

If you've got kids, get back in your car.

Keep safe

ianv

• forum abuser
Treat every motorist as blind-drunk, stoned, daydreaming, incompetent and driving a stolen car on your 3am commute.
   ;D

You wouldn't catch me doing it. I a big believer in work not defining your life. It sure as hell isn't worth risking it to get there.

If you've got kids, get back in your car.

12 yrs , 24miles 4/5 days a week, BUSY roads = one RTA (and I got a decent compo for it as well!), You get to work relaxed, faster than in a car, you don't catch other peoples colds on the train/bus, you stay in shape and it saves money. Well worth the level of risk involved.

fatkid2000

• junky
I'd commute more often but home visits in winter are a bit of a mare - turning up soaked at somebody's house does cause a lot of hassle. Several people have refused to see me thinking I'm a postman or con man !

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Several people have refused to see me thinking I'm a postman or con man !
I don't think that was anything to do with the clothes.

tomtom

• forum hero
#24 Starting to commute by bike, tips needed.
November 17, 2013, 05:09:16 pm
Wicker basket on the front. its the way forward. No hassles on the way back from the offy - just dump your four pack of stella in the basket and away you go ;)

More sherioushly - if you're communting back late at night/early AM, there wont be much traffic, but a higher percentage of the drivers will be fast, pissed, high or a combination of those three.. very bright lights really work well IMHO - front and back. THe one flashing one steady approach (already mentioned) seems to work really well..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal