UKBouldering.com

Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately? (Read 21596 times)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 06, 2013, 08:21:30 pm
Haven't seen a thread similar as yet, so I thought I'd pop one up for any exhibitions, displays, shows etc... going on.

Next week I'm off to see the black and white photographer Michael Kenna's exhibition at The Brindley in Runcorn. Keen to see his work in real life rather than on a computer screen, especially as he doesn't exhibit often on the UK. The exhibition is currently running until the 23rd of this month for anyone interested.

andy popp

• forum hero
#1 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 06, 2013, 08:47:45 pm
I had a whistlestop look at this show (the Michael Kenna) a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard of him; some very beautiful images that I don't think would translate well to screen at all due to immense subtlety. Highly recommended

Went to two incredible galleries last week, the Barnes Foundation in Philadelphia and the Met in New York (ahem!). The Barnes is a private collection, so much Renoir it might as well be wallpaper, much of it pretty ho-hum, but also several dozen Cezanne, many of them magnificent. Good for Picasso and Matisse too. The Met is obviously huge; with limited time I concentrated on the Dutch. I was in total Rembrandt heaven. Incredible.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:09:13 pm by andy popp »

fried

• forum hero
#2 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 06, 2013, 08:55:36 pm
Completely off post..

I remember when the Orangerie in Paris reopened and I went to have a look (preferred it before). There are long corridors with a lot of Renoir, and I really don't understand the interest, then you see a Cezanne and Wow...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 09:15:30 pm by fried »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 06, 2013, 08:59:32 pm
Musee d'Orsay if you like Impressionists, rooms full of Renoir, Monet, Manet, Van Gogh etc. No Mike Yarwood sadly.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#4 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 07, 2013, 09:22:43 am
I remember when the Orangerie in Paris reopened and I went to have a look (preferred it before). There are long corridors with a lot of Renoir, and I really don't understand the interest, then you see a Cezanne and Wow...

Similarly  :off: - in fact so not "lately" that they've since completely re-built the museum - but the Museum of Modern Art in New York used to have a "blow their socks off right away" room at the entrance with, among other things, Guernica, a Monet Water Lilies and a huge Jackson Pollock.

Jackson Pollock's work  in small pictures in books or on the internet just looks like silly random splodges, but seen close up and huge in the fleshcanvas for the first time there is a rhythm and power there that is quite astonishing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#5 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 07, 2013, 09:43:02 am
BP Portraits Winners at Aberdeen Art Gallery until Jan. Thts a lunchtime or two taken care of.

fried

• forum hero
#6 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 07, 2013, 10:37:03 am
Similarly  :off: - in fact so not "lately" that they've since completely re-built the museum - but the Museum of Modern Art in New York used to have a "blow their socks off right away" room at the entrance with, among other things, Guernica, a Monet Water Lilies and a huge Jackson Pollock.

The Orangerie in Paris had (still does) a selection of Monet's water lillies displayed on curved walls (in fact if I remember correctly it was built for this purpose). When you've only ever seen postcards or small prints in books, the effect is mesmerising of seeing the real thing 6m by 3.

Durbs

• forum hero
#7 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 07, 2013, 10:47:45 am
Went to the preview of the Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibtion recently.

Top stuff as always, and interesting to chat to some of the togs. A couple of particularly stand out images, always good discussing if the winner should/shouldn't have won and of course the standard grumblings with the under 7's having £4k's worth of kit when you can't help thinking mum/dad set the shot up and they pressed the button.

Love it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#8 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 07, 2013, 12:14:43 pm
Jackson Pollock's work  in small pictures in books or on the internet just looks like silly random splodges, but seen close up and huge in the fleshcanvas for the first time there is a rhythm and power there that is quite astonishing.

Agree. I've been trying to find a decent size/ quality art print of 'Blue poles' for ages.

I had a whistlestop look at this show (the Michael Kenna) a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard of him; some very beautiful images that I don't think would translate well to screen at all due to immense subtlety. Highly recommended

I'd like to see that. Decent b+w prints often have a wonderful subtety and luminosity. Were all the prints tiny though?

Having been a massive fan of WPOY I am finding less enthusiasm as the years go on. Its hard to be original, and as remarkable as many photos are there are very few I'd want on the wall. Getting 'soul' into a photo is a tough call. Seeing a big print of this was amazing though, pretty haunting:

Eddies

• forum hero
#9 Re: Anyone seen any good exhibitions lately?
November 07, 2013, 12:16:28 pm
Im going to the V&A next month to see the masterpieces of Chinese painting exhibition. Heard about it watching the culture show a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/exhibitions/masterpieces-of-chinese-painting/

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so

In contrast, I went to see Hockney's exhibition in London last year. Part of his work included iPad sketches of his landscapes. They showed a certain amount of deft at using a tablet, but they were just that, a sketch, not a gallery hanging. In book or on screen these looked intriging but a large scale print failed to have any great draw for me.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
Earlier this year we had the outrageous good fortune to be at a private function at the V&A - this included access to the "David Bowie is" exhibition

I have only a passing interest in Bowie, but really enjoyed it - I can see why Bowie fans were getting giddy about it

lots of his costumes and original scribblings, other stuff he's collected - all with an audio tour that works on proximity to each display

anyway - it's finished at the V&A, but it is going on tour - the V&A sold out pretty quick, but if you're near any of the other cities/countries it might work out

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/t/touring-exhibition-david-bowie-is/

of no interest to anyone and including no actual pics of the Bowie exhibition - one of our films that hasn't been bought up by the adult entertainment industry

about as interesting as you'd expect from someone else's home movies

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Not been yet but keen to catch 'Seizure' at YSP.
http://www.ysp.co.uk/exhibitions/roger-hiorns-seizure

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I'm currently quite impressed by Julius Kerscher. I stumbled across him completely at random last week - googled his name because he's been setting some well above average routes at one of my local walls.

Borderline on-topic - he has an exhibition next year in Kufstein, Austria. I'll be going.

(Would post an example, but don't known how to get a usable image url out of facebook)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
Finally got round to seeing the Michael Kenna exhibition mentioned at the start of the thread. Really good retrospective of his work from cutting his teeth on home turf in '73 to his most recent  prints from Japan. Enjoyed looking at the range of 50 or 60 prints on show we headed back in for a second viewing after a coffee and cake in The Brindley's own café (great homemade cake at a staggeringly bargain price!). 

I'd like to see that. Decent b+w prints often have a wonderful subtety and luminosity. Were all the prints tiny though?

Adam, all the prints were the same size, all just under A4 sized, mostly square. It did mean getting up close but with all prints presented in the same format I think helped you appreciate each shot for it's own merits.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
I've been a fan of Kenna for a while. As I understand he is both a fine photographer and master printer, which is why it's worth seeing his work in print. I have not, but I'd like to!

We stopped by the World Press Photo Exhibition in Innsbruck last week - some very powerful (and depressing, shocking and disturbing) images. I've never quite sure how they pick one over the other, but it was worth an hour of our time.

seankenny

• forum hero
Saw the "Facing the Modern" exhibition at the National Gallery last night.
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/whats-on/exhibitions/vienna

Absolutely fantastic. Some really incredible paintings and psychologically fascinating - the faces of people riven with insecurities, the contemporaries of Freud, Mann and Mahler, and an insight into a rather wonderful lost world.  Thoroughly recommend it if you're in the capital.

Eddies

• forum hero
Im going to the V&A next month to see the masterpieces of Chinese painting exhibition. Heard about it watching the culture show a couple of weeks ago.

I went on Saturday, its incredible! Some of the scrolls they have there are truly mind blowing.
The 12 meter long Prosperous Suzhou was the highlight for me, ive found a link to a half decent resolution image of it online:
http://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~hsa13/scroll/suzhou_viewer.html

Its true detail was like nothing ive even seen, I spent a good hour looking at it!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
BP Portrait Awards on in Aberdeen Art Gallery at the moment. Not been in yet, saving it for a cold and wet lunchtime or two in new year.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak

I went on Saturday, its incredible! Some of the scrolls they have there are truly mind blowing.
The 12 meter long Prosperous Suzhou was the highlight for me, ive found a link to a half decent resolution image of it online:
http://sites.fas.harvard.edu/~hsa13/scroll/suzhou_viewer.html

Its true detail was like nothing ive even seen, I spent a good hour looking at it!
wow thats awesome. I wish Suzhou (still) looked like that in real life bit of an ugly shit hole now.

andy popp

• forum hero
Jeremy Deller's show 'All that is Solid Melts into Air' at Manchester City Gallery (open to Jan 19th) is highly recommended; an exploration of the impact of the industrial revolution on British culture. Sounds like a dry musuem exhibit but is actually an art show: http://www.manchestergalleries.org/whats-on/exhibitions/index.php?itemID=108

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Wife went to see this yesterday, was very impressed. Not managed to get down myself yet.

tomtom

• forum hero
Just been to the Klee exhibition at the Tate modern. Good - interesting history too.. Kandinsky, Bauhaus etc..

Dr T

• forum hero
Took Jr T to the Bacon/Moore at the Ashmolean a while back - not massive but certainly excellent

edit - on til mid January....

tomtom

• forum hero

Just been to the Klee exhibition at the Tate modern. Good - interesting history too.. Kandinsky, Bauhaus etc..

Oh,. And if you're in Greenwich, this is good.. And unusual..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal