UKBouldering.com

Hippy water (Read 13730 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 04:58:49 pm
I'm sick of having gastritis and not being able to drink tea or coffee, so thought I'd start a disappointing thread on putting perfectly legal and largely pointless herbs into hot water.

Redbush / Rooibos - this is my staple because you can brew it strong, add milk and ever so occasionally while you're seriously distracted or half asleep, you almost feel like you're drinking tea.
I recently got some loose stuff. You can rebrew it, mix it with stuff etc. This takes some of the repetitiveness out of the disappointment.

2. Dandelion and burdock.
No shit. DnB. I think these wee 'tea' bags are by clipper. They're mediocre, mostly because they taste like DnB.

3. Chamomile.
For some reason, spending more on this stuff actually makes a difference. It tastes more flowery and less floory the more you spend. I'm skint so I get the cheap stuff.

4. Pukka licorice and cinnamon
God must have not been paying attention, because somehow some flavour slipped into these. They're actually really tasty, largely because they're 25% cocoa bean. The downside being they set my gastritis off.

I'll come up with a 5th review soon. Try not to fall off the edge of your seats people.

:punk:

fried

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:01:36 pm
Can you not just merge this with the 'sleep' thread? :boxing:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#2 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:08:43 pm
Can you not just merge this with the 'sleep' thread? :boxing:

Nonsense! Dontcha know some of these are 'refreshing' 'invigorating' 'zesty' and 'enlivening'

:tumble:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:09:36 pm
No Bhang lassi :clown:

fried

• forum hero
#4 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:11:46 pm
He did say 'pointless' herbs.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:19:10 pm
No Bhang lassi :clown:

No tea
No coffee
No ale
No aged cider
No wine
No dark rum
No single malt

and quite clearly no shroom tea or fucking bhang lassi.
 :wank:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:20:01 pm
Pukka Three Mint
Camomile and Spiced Apple
White Tea and Vanilla

I presume Lapsang Souchong doesn't count?

Any strong herbal tea (Chai, Ginger etc) with a shot of whisky in for cold days' bouldering.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#7 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:25:23 pm
Pukka Three Mint
Camomile and Spiced Apple
White Tea and Vanilla

I presume Lapsang Souchong doesn't count?

Any strong herbal tea (Chai, Ginger etc) with a shot of whisky in for cold days' bouldering.

White tea is full of caffeine. I love(d) the stuff. I have a collection of about 30 different loose leaf teas from the finest london importers in my cupboard. I should prob put some of it on the freecycle thread.
Lapsang Souchong is black tea with added smoke to help calm the stomach  :chair:
Mint sets my gastritis off despite everyone saying it's good for it.
Stuff with fruit in also tends to. Also, cam+spiced apple sounds rank.

:ras:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#8 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 05:38:09 pm
Well SCREW YOU HIPPY!!  :P

I agree that most fruit teas are vile and taste like filtered puke. Cam + spiced apple is nice tho, quite mellow and sweet.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#9 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 06:20:29 pm
Cam + spiced apple is nice tho, quite mellow and sweet.

Who makes it then? I've not got much to lose (about 2 quid and a loose stool).

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#10 Re: Hippy water
October 17, 2013, 08:10:59 pm
Twinings IIRC. Dunno if they are cool or not?

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#11 Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 02:31:39 am
I like Twinings Peppermint to the etent tht I dink it all the time.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#12 Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 02:39:29 am
Sorry about the spelling errors in that last post! Posted too soon by accident.

They also done called buttermint that's very nice too. The three mint Fiend mentions is also badass as is the peppermint and nettle Twinings one. Waitrose do a peppermint, ginkgo and something else (might also be nettle) that's really good.

These recommendations are assuming you like mint tea of course. I have the same feelings as Fiend about fruit tea (no matter how nice it smells it always tastes crap) but I seriously love mint tea. Leave the bag in the mug the whole time you're drinking it for full effect!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#13 Re: Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 07:35:58 am
No Bhang lassi
I just googled that half expecting some scottish pr0n to come up in my search results.

tomtom

• forum hero
#14 Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 07:55:50 am
Cam + spiced apple is nice tho, quite mellow and sweet.

Who makes it then? I've not got much to lose (about 2 quid and a loose stool).

Twinings. +1 Camomile and Spiced Apple is my favourite non functional tea drink ;) Smooth and removes the floor sweepings taste of camomile that you very accurately pinned down.

Lemon and Ginger is mrsTT's favourite. The cost of the twinings ones comes down ALOT if you go to a large supermarket and they do the 80's...

Anything with red fruits in Herbal tea wise (ie rasberry, strawberry Xberry etc...) just seems really acidic and rancid to me.. but some folk like it.

But - being radical here - how about just drinking hot water?

rich d

• forum hero
#15 Re: Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 08:01:05 am
Hot water, squeeze of lemon, grating of ginger, spoonful of honey - job's done. If you need a bit more of a kick put a little chilli in.

Teas are for caffeine and should be advertised by Monkeys.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#16 Re: Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 08:06:08 am
Hot water, squeeze of lemon, grating of ginger, spoonful of honey - job's done. If you need a bit more of a kick put a little chilli in.

Teas are for caffeine and should be advertised by Monkeys.

Went through a stage of doing this. Delicious. Sadly lemon juice is rather acidic so it's currently a no-go. Also, chili would prob put me in hospital. Mind you, honey improves most things.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 08:58:33 am
I'm partial to the splendidly named Celestial Seasonings Red Zinger. To be any more redolent of 1970s Boulder, Colorado you would have to be listening to...

It may fail the acid test (The tea, not The 'Dead).

As a bonus it's an early example of climbing product placement. I hope Jardine got some freebies.

battery

• obsessive maniac
#18 Re: Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 10:56:45 pm
I'm not a fan of fruit tea and appreciate that this thread is supposed to be about crap stuff but I'm going to go with positive statements...

I like a good brew so have been drinking de-caf tea. Supermarket own brand, tetley and PG Tips, whichever, they are all great

Nettle tea I have also got used to the taste of and it does seem to have an impact on my health, I don't care if it's placebo - it works for me.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#19 Re: Hippy water
October 18, 2013, 11:02:15 pm
I think the Yogi Tea Licorice to be the most flavoursome herb tea I have ever drunk close second being the pucka 3 fennel tea.

This one:
http://www.ecogreenstore.co.uk/yogi-tea-licorice-organic-17-bags-p-2697.html?zenid=aaacddb77238ad3a8b1ccdae33da661e

I also love loose leaf/flower camomile tea. Mmmm

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#20 Re: Hippy water
October 19, 2013, 01:20:22 am
I tried a lot of herbal / fruit teas as an alternative to a thermos of coffee for a day's bouldering - to no avail - they all just tasted... of nothing much.  Current choice is hot diluted Vimto cordial with a hefty slug of the Rochester Ginger Drink that's sold in Holland and Barrett to pep it up and cut through the sweetness.  Sounds a bit scroaty compared to the herbal concoctions but hits the spot on a cold day.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#21 Re: Hippy water
October 19, 2013, 01:45:43 am
My "housemate" has a box of Tesco finest green rooibos with apple and pear. It's really drinkable.

I also enjoy the Yogi teas liquorice. One guy I went climbing with used to go on about putting two mint bags and one liquorice bag together in a teapot. Could never work out if he was taking the piss, and the lidl peppermint I have in atm is really shit so im not wasting a liquorice bag on it. Worth trying  :shrug:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#22 Re: Hippy water
October 19, 2013, 09:49:49 am
nowt wrong with liquorice and mint.

Think I've had some of the yogi liquorice before. Great stuff.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#23 Re: Hippy water
October 19, 2013, 09:50:34 am
I'm not a fan of fruit tea and appreciate that this thread is supposed to be about crap stuff but I'm going to go with positive statements...

I like a good brew so have been drinking de-caf tea. Supermarket own brand, tetley and PG Tips, whichever, they are all great

:offtopic: :rtfm:

horn

• regular
#24 Re: Hippy water
October 26, 2013, 10:54:07 pm

I also enjoy the Yogi teas liquorice. One guy I went climbing with used to go on about putting two mint bags and one liquorice bag together in a teapot. Could never work out if he was taking the piss, and the lidl peppermint I have in atm is really shit so im not wasting a liquorice bag on it. Worth trying  :shrug:

Do I know you Dr botnik?! Peppermint and liquorice is a winning combo, and now you can get it in one handy teabag. I think it's Clipper that make it.

horn

• regular
#25 Re: Hippy water
October 26, 2013, 11:06:13 pm
Do I know you Dr botnik?! Peppermint and liquorice is a winning combo, and now you can get it in one handy teabag. I think it's Clipper that make it.

Sorry, It's actually Pukka. Clipper do a pure liquorice that's so intensely liquoricey you have to use the 2:1 mint:liquorice teabag ratio.
Might be alright for your belly Sam, mint is very easy on the stomach (I'm kind of assuming it was the firey cinnamon setting you off and not the liquorice)

Fruit teas are shit (imo) too acidic without being fruity enough, or laced with 'flavourings'.  Although I have been known to drop a hibiscus flower into a mug before. That's pretty nice. and pretty pretty if you use a glass teapot.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#26 Re: Hippy water
October 27, 2013, 12:19:08 pm
Do I know you Dr botnik?! Peppermint and liquorice is a winning combo, and now you can get it in one handy teabag.

Did we pop to Cratcliff one time? I remember eating some right juicy peaches after getting on some E2 there. Great day, cant remember your name pal, mines rob. Also, the tea advice has stuck with me, but I still haven't tried it!

psychomansam

• forum hero
#27 Re: Hippy water
October 27, 2013, 02:38:51 pm
It was only ever going to take so long before this thread deteriorated into a gay dating site  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#28 Hippy water
October 27, 2013, 02:50:51 pm
It was only ever going to take so long before this thread deteriorated into a gay dating site  ;)

Whats your star sign? ;)

horn

• regular
#29 Re: Hippy water
October 28, 2013, 01:12:42 pm
Did we pop to Cratcliff one time? I remember eating some right juicy peaches after getting on some E2 there. Great day, cant remember your name pal, mines rob. Also, the tea advice has stuck with me, but I still haven't tried it!

Juicy peaches ay? Nah not me, Don't think I've been to Cratcliffe for like 10 years. But you need to try it. tis gert lush

Tea-bag Cock-Tails?

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#30 Re: Hippy water
October 28, 2013, 04:11:18 pm

I left myself wide open to that. About as wide as sams ringpiece after a saturday night at dempseys.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#31 Re: Hippy water
October 28, 2013, 05:10:24 pm

I left myself wide open to that. About as wide as sams ringpiece after a saturday night at dempseys.

Fuck off. If I remember correctly, I've only been on a Friday.  :tease:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal