UKBouldering.com

Magic Lantern for DSLR's (Read 6807 times)

turnipturned

• forum abuser
Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 10:18:06 am
Hey up,

Has anyone used Magic Latern firmware as an add on for Cannon DLSR's? Pro's/Con's or anything to be concerned about? Can it mess up your camera.

Mainly want it for having more control of the Audio and the ability to turn of AGC, thinking about also recording audio externally, on something like a ZOOM HD1! Anybody got any experience of using this and then matching audio and video in post production?

Also has anyone used the focus control application/bracketing on ML? Does it work or best investing in a follow focus?

Thanks

Turnip

Wood FT

• forum hero
#1 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 10:45:55 am
Go for it, I did it a while ago and I've never looked back. It doesnt actually change your camera anyway, put in a normal SD card and the camera works the same as it did before. I installed by watching a video on youtube, steady away really, just make sure your battery is charged. 

Aside from the ability to disable the AGC there are just so so many options, a neat one is the 'FPS override' function where you can bring down the frame rate ALOT to make quick and easy timelapses within the camera (v2.3), not as vivid as a normal timelapse but not a zillion shutter counts on your camera either.

Have fiddled with the focus control but not invested a great time in it to comment, looks smooth as owt and not too complicated (watch a few tutorials)

Re: recording audio with an external device - I got a free piece of software with my mic called plural eyes that syncs up the external audio to that on your camera, not used it yet as I record on board but mates have said it's great. I'll look into in the future though as if you use a zoom h1 with a cheap lav mic, you've got a bodge job wireless lav mic for one hundred instead of six.

In summary, magic lantern makes your <£1k camera into a beast, do it.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#2 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 10:49:46 am
should just add that I have a 550d (quite old) so the magic lantern firmware for that is well tested, if you've got some brand new body then just check the relevant magic lantern is a stable one and not some lab test (though personally I would trust these too)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#3 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 12:11:45 pm
everything Guy says I can confirm. also using a 550D, transformed my movie making experience.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 12:35:51 pm
Thanks chaps.

Re: recording audio with an external device - I got a free piece of software with my mic called plural eyes that syncs up the external audio to that on your camera, not used it yet as I record on board but mates have said it's great. I'll look into in the future though as if you use a zoom h1 with a cheap lav mic, you've got a bodge job wireless lav mic for one hundred instead of six.

Sounds good, I assume you are using pluraleyes as post-production syncing, when I looked into plural eyes it seemed quite expensive, just thought I would clap really loudly and sync it up automatically that way.

Wahay sounds like we all have 550d's, thanks for the advice seems like the logical step.

Hopefully I can now make some better looking vids.

Turnip

Wood FT

• forum hero
#5 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 12:52:56 pm
Yep do it after. Clapping would be fine, I'm just lazy

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 01:11:10 pm
Yeah, it can be hard work. I wonder if there is a board available that can do the clapping for you?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#7 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 17, 2013, 01:18:26 pm
i'll line 'em up, you knock 'em down

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 12:43:51 pm
Cheers for the replies guys.

Just another quick question as you chaps seem to know what you are on about, I am reet confused about the best audio set up for DLSR's on a budget. Basically I am not planning on doing any interview just better quality audio when filming boulder problems.

My options:

H1 Zoom as an external Mic- sync up in post production, Pro's: Better quality Con's: None directional, subject needs to be close
H1 Zoom and Condenser Mic- sync up in post production; Pro's: Better quality with some direction to subject Con's: Cost and aren't the pre amps in the H1 the weakest link here??
H1 Zoom with a Condenser Mic (linked into a better pre amp and straight into the camera with ML): Pro's: A couple of Audio options and always getting something into the camera as back up Con's: Cost, more things to sync up.

Be great if anyone else has any suggestions or what they think is the best option for what I am after?

Thanks

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 12:45:37 pm
Obliviously windjammers in all situations!

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 12:52:05 pm
Obliviously windjammers in all situations!

What kind of audio are you looking to record? I came to the conclusion that if it was solely climbing related (grunting and cursing) then most of the above were fairly overkill (for the associated cost). The one ghetto solution I entertained was a windjammer that stuck on the in-camera mic. This obviously does nothing to remove any in-camera noises that get recorded.

Rack focus and other aspect of ML are brilliant, even for stills and I had no issues.

I installed it on my 550d which Baldy now owns (or did) but I haven't had the need on the 5dII as of yet and I was under the impression it was no longer entirely free (although worth every penny no doubt).

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#11 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 01:08:38 pm

What kind of audio are you looking to record?

Basically I filmed a lil vid last winter called 'This is Yorkshire' and would really like to film another this year. However this time I really want to make it loads better and one thing I thought from last year was how rubbish the background audio was, so I just forgot about it in most scenarios and put music over the top.

Mainly background audio, with some talking in select circumstances (however no interviews as generally speaking interviewing British boulderer is boring, gringey and highly uninspiring, especially if you are northerner) I want to record audio with out having internal noises recorded from the camera, all the internal camera audio is just hissing horibbliness, windy or flat noise.

I personally feel that most climbing videos really lack audio quality and I think you loose a bit of feel and atmosphere by ignoring the audio. Just my opinion though.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 01:32:30 pm

I personally feel that most climbing videos really lack audio quality and I think you loose a bit of feel and atmosphere by ignoring the audio. Just my opinion though.

I feel the same

dave

#13 Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 01:54:48 pm

I feel the same

+1 and one of the reasons I never really liked http:bloc. Felt too detached, like watching bouldering footage on a muted pub TV with the jukebox playing.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 02:18:56 pm
I thought from last year was how rubbish the background audio was, so I just forgot about it in most scenarios and put music over the top.

Admittedly this is the solution I plumped for (for my half-baked unplanned ventures into filming climbing). Maybe I'm missing something but most of the time I found that the 'atmosphere' was mainly wind noises and/or grunting.

I feel the same

I've found much bigger factors make me feel 'detached' when watching many of the new climbing films/shorts (from lo-fi to pro level) but I don't want to de-rail this topic.

ps - I haven't watched your film so that wasn't directed at you, it was a [huge] generalisation.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 03:13:37 pm
+1 and one of the reasons I never really liked http:bloc.

Whats http:bloc.??

ps - I haven't watched your film so that wasn't directed at you, it was a [huge] generalisation.

Just in case you would like too ;D

Any feed back to make suggestion to improve on next year would be great! No offence taken!

Maybe I'm missing something but most of the time I found that the 'atmosphere' was mainly wind noises and/or grunting.

The reason mine was maybe very poor is because I didn't have ML and therefore couldn't turn of AGC! I am more thinking of close up sounds of slapping scrittle holds, the very atmospheric eariness you get on a still day in the Yorkshire Moors and spotter encouragement (English style not American whooping). However I would also like to venture into other areas of filming were audio is more important.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#16 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 03:30:40 pm
most of the time I found that the 'atmosphere' was mainly wind noises and/or grunting

A lot of that is due to poor quality recording equipment. Having played around with some field recording over the last few months it is amazing what a decent setup will pick up. It also makes you realise much of film and tv is over-dubbed with not particularly authentic stock sound. Done well, sound can be more effective than the picture at establishing mood, and evoking a place and time.

dave

#17 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 04:01:10 pm
+1 and one of the reasons I never really liked http:bloc.

Whats http:bloc.??

Font video from the early 2000s, by olivier lebreton and his mates I think.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#18 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 04:30:40 pm
Magic lantern is your friend. I've yet to read anything to say a camera has been damaged. It's just a faff to reinstall on the 7d each time you turn the camera on. Not sure if it's easier on the 550s as they cracked it long before.

The audio. The answer lies in your pocket. Use your smart phone to record mp3 then whop it on when you're editing is the best advice I've seen. Vimeo has some really useful video tip stuff to help.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#19 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 04:40:25 pm
can't advise on external mics n shiiit.

but ML provides manually adjustable mic Gain that has improved the sound I get out on my films. Although I've not tried in on anything as subtle as "slapping scrittle holds".

It's also got a built in filter that's meant to remove wind noise, never tried it though.

The idea of using your mobile as external sounds good.

In my head it would be fairly easy to sync up sounds just using a clap and fiddling in sony vegas. Am I being a simpleton is there more to it?

It's just a faff to reinstall on the 7d each time you turn the camera on. Not sure if it's easier on the 550s as they cracked it long before.

This ain't a problem on 550D. once installed it's always there. Can even format memory card in the camera and still keep ML.

Paul B

• forum hero
#20 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 04:54:52 pm
A lot of that is due to poor quality recording equipment. Having played around with some field recording over the last few months it is amazing what a decent setup will pick up.

But are you going to pick that up with a H1 Zoom (or similar)? I'm genuinely asking as I don't have a clue.

I'd already added the video to Pocket for some spare moment.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#21 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 07:16:22 pm
+1 and one of the reasons I never really liked http:bloc. Felt too detached, like watching bouldering footage on a muted pub TV with the jukebox playing.

I blame the "Video Bar" plague that hit France in the late '80

Bars where outdoors/adventure/extreme type films were shown on big screens - often muted while other music played in the background

Ski resorts were the usual victims of such establishments

my personal favourite shit video bar film was one where some sort of cave men chased a mono-skier and his pals down a mountain - I forget the plot, but I don't think it was important

sorry,

:off: as usual

Wood FT

• forum hero
#22 Re: Magic Lantern for DSLR's
October 21, 2013, 07:35:48 pm
Mainly background audio, with some talking in select circumstances (however no interviews as generally speaking interviewing British boulderer is boring, gringey and highly uninspiring, especially if you are northerner) I want to record audio with out having internal noises recorded from the camera, all the internal camera audio is just hissing horibbliness, windy or flat noise.

Turning off the AGC with ML will dramatically cut the hiss (also the wind noise as the camera won't be looking for surrounding noise to fill it's gills)

You're dead on with the audio quality comment, my favourite moments in climbing videos (other than the siq crushing) have been the voices, Seb with "now the big one" and pete chuntering on about being "on top rope, on top rope". Obviously a lot of people don't talk bollocks when they're climbing but hearing someone trying really hard is great, or just birds and shit. Wind is the enemy, I've got a videomic pro which has been working really well but it's fucked in the wind as I haven't got round to making a dead cat yet.

p.s really liked your video, had a good atmosphere and feel regardless of sound.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal