UKBouldering.com

Gimme Kraft training book & DVD now on pre-order (Read 18420 times)

jstrongman

• player
  • http://vimeo.com/user4955702
Gimme Kraft training book & DVD now on pre-order
September 17, 2013, 10:57:14 am
The Gimme kraft (Give me Strength)  :strongbench: training book and DVD is now on pre-order to be shipped October the 5th, 35 euros with shipping to the UK.

http://gimmekraft.com/

With all the interest in Megos and Patrick Matros training reckon it will sell fast.

standard

• obsessive maniac
ordered. if i'm not a onsighting 8c in one year i'm demanding a refund.

krymson

• obsessive maniac
The training will be excellent I'm sure. Ze Germans know what they're doing

"You can find the answers to all these questions on this DVD, which comes completed with an easy-to-under- stand practice-book. We have decided in favor of an additio- nal learning-video because we believe that it is the best way to communicate the complex forms of our exercises in a didac- tically appropriate manner. "

The English on the oth-er ha-nd...   :slap:

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
...is awesomely German, with proper Germanic sentence length... :)

Dr T

• forum hero
Trailer...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
...is awesomely German, with proper Germanic sentence length... :)

And proper German linking wordstogethertomakeoneword. Quality!

krymson

• obsessive maniac
those of you who know German, is the climbing literature significantly different from English? or mostly a rehash of what's published in English?

I thought we had it all, until one day my German friend told me about the "Standardbewegung", which we dont even have a word for in English. And that renowned "one more move" book was originally  in German too.

Makes me feel like there might be a whole-world of climbing-info out there if one could just-understand what they-are-say-ing.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Köstermeyers book is the best concise training manual I've read, and is the only training manual for climbers that is organised around wave periodisation, afaik. Neumann wrote in English helpfully enough (his german language version of Performance rockclimbing is not much different from the original). Allegedly there is nothing yet known about training for climbing that cannot be found in Güllich training manual “Sportklettern heute” (but I haven't read that myself).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
There's also Udo Neumann's other book "Lizenz zum Bouldern" that appears to focus more on movement & technique, but it's in such a right hemisphere photo-scrapbook-trying-to-be-a-video style that my left hemisphere, linear text please brain can't get to grips with it.

There are also some very good articles by Reini Scherer (Austrian team coach) on the website of the Tivoli wall in Innsbruck.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
Gimme kraft (Give me Strength)  :strongbench:

Can also refer to the desire for processed cheese after a training session.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I never knew Kraftwerk meant "Power Station"

though I did know that Einsturzende Neubauten meant collapsing new buildings

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Reviewed (by who?) on The Arch website.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
Anyone else received theirs yet. Still waiting here.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Anyone else received theirs yet.

Nope. Am a little nonplussed by post taking a week to get from Nürnberg to Munich.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
No sign as yet. Is it actually released? Had the mail confirming order, but nothing since...

honroid

• addict
Saw this on the site:

Please note: Gimme Kraft! shippings take a while as the shipping method "Books" takes longer. Please be patient!

Guess we have to wait a mo...

HaeMeS

• menacing presence
Got to see the book this week and can't think of anything to add to the review by archclimbingwall. Looks good, makes training look like fun which might be its biggest asset. Nothing revolutionary  :coffee:

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
I would be a little surprised if we get any sort of shipping confirmation on these orders. I don't think they used a "service" to take payments and control the shipping stuff so it will probably just turn up.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Gimme Kraft! shippings take a while as the shipping method "Books" takes longer. Please be patient!

If this means "Büchersendung", then that is indeed a cheap and untracked Deutsche Post service. I've never noticed it being particularly slower than normal post though.

Anyway, they exist 'cos on their blog there's a a pic of Melissa Le Nevé signing them at the wall in Nürnberg on 1st October.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Ours arrived this morning! We've been open for an hour now and Kieron hasn't put the book down yet...

Keeps saying "Holy Shit" and "How?" A lot...

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
Hi does anyone know if its available from any outlets in the uk?

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
I assumed that OldManMatt works at a shop that got in a load of these. I still haven't received mine so I have no idea when they are likely to arrive in the country en-masse.

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
thanks not sure what shop he works at but if  OldManMatt  reads this is it possible for oldmandave eg me to order a copy from your shop!!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Matt works at (owns?) the Boulder Bunker in Torquay.

robertostallioni

• forum hero
 rang the arch this morning, and the lovely lass is posting their last copy NextDD on her way home from work. Boom!

davej

• obsessive maniac
  • up yours baby
lucky you!! think i will order one from Germany

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Mine tried to arrive (in Germany) on Monday but I wasn't at home; collected it from the post office today. I assume delivery to the UK will take another few days.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Afraid we just have the one copy!
I do wish I'd ordered a few more though.
It's already looking a little Foxed...

I'm installing a screen/DVD in the training room so people can watch the exercises.

Monkey see, monkey do (sorry guys, but you know what I mean).
Got the materials in to build the peg board. By popular demand...

It's also a great resource for our NIBAS students.
So...
Not revolutionary, perhaps.
Well presented .
Clear and concise.
Order turned up from Germany ok and not too late.
So, go for it, put the order in.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
Oh, yeah. Owns... We'll 50% of anyway, Pollylolly has the rest!

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
Still nothing here and its been over a week since the first ones arrived in the country by the sounds of it. Little bit odd...

honroid

• addict
Afraid we just have the one copy!
I do wish I'd ordered a few more though.
It's already looking a little Foxed...

I'm installing a screen/DVD in the training room so people can watch the exercises.

Monkey see, monkey do (sorry guys, but you know what I mean).
Got the materials in to build the peg board. By popular demand...

It's also a great resource for our NIBAS students.
So...
Not revolutionary, perhaps.
Well presented .
Clear and concise.
Order turned up from Germany ok and not too late.
So, go for it, put the order in.

Agree with the above. I'd add that for me, having floor exercises and other associated (painful, laborious) core exercises presented  together in one place, with vague ideas on difficulty, usefulness and suggested reps etc. makes (you feel like) you're more likely to get some done. Already had a few good sessions on core, just changing up from my usual exercises.

Not sure about where I'd fit a peg board but fashioned some slings already.

Met Herr Korb (the bald co-writer) in Frankenjura over the summer. Passed me some useful beta on a project I was trying and proceeded to cruise it. Seemed like a nice guy.

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Got a copy. Looks good but it's a real pity they didn't get a native english speaker to proof it. It's quite the headwrecker.

abarro81

• forum hero
I borrowed a copy of this the other night. A nicely presented list of exercises but with a printer, pen and paper it felt like you'd get just as many useful exercises in 30min on google and climbing sites. Disappointed - was expecting more.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Got a copy. Looks good but it's a real pity they didn't get a native english speaker to proof it. It's quite the headwrecker.

Indeed. I feel lucky that I can refer to the german text where the english text is unintelligible.

saltbeef

• forum hero
what barrows said. interesting how a text on essentially climbing specific training comes up with about 6 or7 exercises on the campus board/rings/floor etc. somewhat surprised there is no section on periodisation apart from the briefest mention. no mention really of finger boarding. not really worth 35 euros

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
I have access to rings but not the book.Would you share what exercises it recommends? :)

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
First run of 4000 copies sold in 5 weeks! How did they manage that?

a dense loner

• forum hero
I thought it was worth it just for the section with reverse push up and raise opposite foot and hand, and also for the walking the feet up and down the wall while doing push ups. It's not going to tell you to do a 6wk periodisation cycle alternating monos and slabs. What do people expect from a book? It's like someone reading kung fu five fingers of death and expecting to become a top assassin at the end of it

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
I think it's a good book but it's pretty niche and that's a lot of sales. Compared to Self Coached climber which is a strong seller it's pretty narrow in it's scope...

a dense loner

• forum hero
Never heard of self coached climber, maybe the word "power" should have been used somewhere

tc

• junky

Indeed. I feel lucky that I can refer to the german text where the english text is unintelligible.

Same old story. Take a good book and turn it into a bad book by failing to commission a professional translation and proofreading job. I despair sometimes.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
First run of 4000 copies sold in 5 weeks! How did they manage that?

I think it's a good book but it's pretty niche and that's a lot of sales. Compared to Self Coached climber which is a strong seller it's pretty narrow in it's scope...

By being the coaches for probably one of the strongest climbers in the world.  By default they have massive popular credibility. 

Dave Flanagan

• forum abuser
Good point but some might question how much credit climbing coaches deserve for the achievements of their students.

TC - Some of it won't even get through spellcheck. The 11th word in the intro is effeciently.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Good point but some might question how much credit climbing coaches deserve for the achievements of their students.

TC - Some of it won't even get through spellcheck. The 11th word in the intro is effeciently.

I fully agree, Hence the term "popular credibility".

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
It's format is great for use at a wall or climbing gym.

It's proved immensely popular and the accompanying DVD has had a lot of traffic.

Frankly, most people don't get beyond the pictures and no-one seems to have picked up on the text errors (not sure many of our climbers would notice/be able to notice anyway...).

Must look up "The Self Coached Climber" though. Anyone know the publisher?

krymson

• obsessive maniac
Stackpole books!

Conservative bunch.
Tried to get the paper edition(it has the dvd) delivered overseas and they wouldn't budge

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero

And in an timely blog post, Will Gadd answers their question

Quote from: Will Gadd
Are the world’s best athletes kicking ass with the programming/diet/whatever at their sports/life/whatever? Does the person talking or writing to you actually do ANYTHING at a high level, or has he/she coached anyone who has been successful at a high level (and not a local amateur comp or something, the big leagues of whatever sport it is)? Does the “authority/guru” do a lot of whatever it is he or she says to do, with passion, commitment and integrity? If the answer to these questions is, “yes,” then likely the ideas are sort of maybe possibly valid, and maybe not totally full of hype.

Herr Matros seems to meet Will's criteria

ghisino

• forum abuser

i'd ask slighly different question.

are successful coaching of very talented athletes and of low/medium talented ones the same thing?
Is it possible that some coaching philosophies, styles and practices fit one end of the spectrum very well but not the rest of it?

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
I'm going to a lecture on training by Patrick Matros - Gimme Kraft co-author, coach of Alex Megos, Frankenjura 8b "greenpointer" etc - tomorrow evening. Looking forward to it. Will post on here if he says anything more interesting than what is in the rather disappointing book.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal