UKBouldering.com

Font Gites - recommendations and reviews (Read 3583 times)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Font Gites - recommendations and reviews
September 11, 2013, 12:03:37 pm
As per Ian's excellent suggestion here I thought I'd kick a thread off with my favourite place to stay when enjoying the pleasures of Font...

Although I suppose it's not a "gite" in the true sense of the word as it's owned and run by Brits but somewhere to start anyway!

The House - http://www.thehouse.fr/

Good - Spacious and friendly with the option to rent pads. Ample, secure parking for up to 5 cars. Beastmakers and pull-up bar for rainy days/drunken late night comps. Plenty of space for drying pads etc. Electricity, WiFi and bedding included.

Bad - Not super close to any particular areas but having said that, everywhere you'd want to go is accessible within 30 minutes including the Chateau. Also, Tousson is not particularly well endowed with bakeries/patisseries etc but Milly is only 10 minutes away and has all you need.

Please add to this so it becomes a good resource for others.

Also (mods), feel free to abase me and/or delete/amend this post if it's not what people want or envisaged!

Cheers...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#1 Re: Font Gites - recommendations and reviews
September 11, 2013, 12:58:51 pm
Thanks fatneck, kept meaning to come back and get this going but getting distracted.  Basically tell us what's good and what's not, what's different from the description, what's missing that you might want to take (maybe pillows and a decent knife are a given?).  The Gites de France reference number would be useful to identify the property (as long as this doesn't provide legal issues?) or a website of course

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2 Re: Font Gites - recommendations and reviews
September 11, 2013, 01:00:22 pm
Gites de France no. 263

http://webitea-77-gdf-anglais.gl.itea.fr/gite-rural-bazin-francoise-a-barbizon-dans-PAYS-DE-LA-SEINE-ET-DU-LOING-263.html

What's good: idyllic location in a wood, loads of wildlife (e.g. Red Squirrel, Bullfinch, Woodpecker, Wagtail) and space for kids to play, Located on main road just ½ mile from Cuvier & easy access everywhere. Local patisserie does the best Almond Croissant in the forest.

what's not good: a bit tired & dirty, damp on walls in bedroom, electric heating only, no kettle, Items of broken furniture. Located long way from road down a rutted, pot-holed track. Bathroom & toilet accessed through main bedroom; cushions for pillows; DVD has no remote.  On our visit the place was also crawling with ants, especially in the kids bedroom which was rather unpleasant for them to say the least. Got hammered for Chauffage costs (£50 for the week).

variations from description: shower is an attachment on bath taps only, not overhead & no curtain.

Recommended? wouldn't like to stay there when it's very cold and couldn't recommend for families given the damp and ants. Great location if you're not too fussy.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#3 Re: Font Gites - recommendations and reviews
September 11, 2013, 01:45:27 pm
Slackers has kindly pointed out that the wiki already has a place for this info so I have added mine and Nai's reviews to the relevant section...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:57:22 pm by fatneck »

andy popp

• forum hero
#4 Re: Font Gites - recommendations and reviews
September 11, 2013, 02:50:27 pm
I stayed here: http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/france/FR8995.htm with my daughter for two weeks in summer 2012. I was very happy with it. Its right on the Seine in Thomery, just a few minutes from Avon/Font. Nothing flash but comfortable, clean and everything we wanted during our stay. The owners, Corine and Paul, live in an adjacent property and were charming, inviting us into their home for to share a (very good) bottle of wine, and incredibly easy to deal with. We got a postcard from them at Christmas. I'd definitely go back. Can't see how to add to the grid on the other page.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Font Gites - recommendations and reviews
September 11, 2013, 03:02:45 pm
Can't see how to add to the grid on the other page.

A little Wiki Markup knowledge is required.

Because of the length of text each cell is on its own row.

I've added a blank row at the bottom so for subsequent edits copy this...

Code: [Select]
|-
|| []
||
||
||
||
|| [ ]

...paste it in at the bottom and then fill it in....

Code: [Select]
|-
|| [http://webitea-77-gdf-anglais.gl.itea.fr/gite-rural-bazin-francoise-a-barbizon-dans-PAYS-DE-LA-SEINE-ET-DU-LOING-263.html Gites de France no. 263]
|| Idyllic location in a wood, loads of wildlife (e.g. Red Squirrel, Bullfinch, Woodpecker, Wagtail) and space for kids to play, Located on main road just ½ mile from Cuvier & easy access everywhere. Local patisserie does the best Almond Croissant in the forest.
|| A bit tired & dirty, damp on walls in bedroom, electric heating only, no kettle, Items of broken furniture. Located long way from road down a rutted, pot-holed track. Bathroom & toilet accessed through main bedroom; cushions for pillows; DVD has no remote.  On our visit the place was also crawling with ants, especially in the kids bedroom which was rather unpleasant for them to say the least. Got hammered for Chauffage costs (£50 for the week).
|| Shower is an attachment on bath taps only, not overhead & no curtain.
|| Wouldn't like to stay there when it's very cold and couldn't recommend for families given the damp and ants. Great location if you're not too fussy.
|| [http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php?action=profile;u=2982 nai]

The wiki software then does all the formatting.

Durbs

• forum hero
#6 Re: Font Gites - recommendations and reviews
September 27, 2013, 03:41:13 pm
Hurrah - my first Wiki addition.

Added 'Le Nid de Fauvettes'. Somewhat reluctantly, as it'll probably start getting booked up over Easter now ;)
Bonus fact: Name translates as "The Warblers Nest"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal