UKBouldering.com

Pule Hill - any good (Read 1914 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
Pule Hill - any good
August 09, 2013, 12:26:27 pm
I'm meeting a mate from Clitheroe tomorrow afternoon.
Pule Hill is about half way for both of us I reckon. Looks like its a relatively short walk in as we'll have about 4/5 hours so want to climb as much as possible.
But....is it any good ?
We're planning to do routes as well as a bit of bouldering
(Awaits shocked responses from all Hudds boulderers)

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#1 Re: Pule Hill - any good
August 09, 2013, 12:50:24 pm
Pule is okay but can be midgy/windy gets the afternoon sun.

Not sure what grades your looking at but in a couple of hours the short natural edge is great for soloing
you can easily do 10 routes on the natural edge in an hour if not more.

VD
Amen - easy climbing up a mod chimney to a confusing top out nice
HVD
Bed end - some interesting climbing but worth hile for a committing step (at the grade) across for the last move with the entire hill under your feet.
S
Flying butress - nice climbing up a crack to a steep juggy finish
VS
Scoop wall - nice probably easier to solo than lead gear
Great scoop - Fun smearing on quarried grit
Square buttress - nice solo
HVS
Megafactor - nice climbing but on leprosy wall (names for a reason)
E1
Delilah - Starts wide chimney ends with thin crimpy top out.
Godspell fun but slightly broken with a ledge at half heigh

Not much bouldering at pule but standedge is close I have not checked it out yet though. (topo http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/sites/default/files/standedge_topo.pdf)

If you are looking for a good trad session in hudds at HVS+ go to shooter nab. Its brilliant! if you go park in the shooting club car park leave something with BMC written on it in the car say who you are if you see a member of the club and follow the proper foot path.
Riccochet wall and sweatyman are fantatic routes and would be polished to fuck at stanage.
I see a dark cloud is a really nice arete at E1, yellow cake UFO is really fun at VS.
Stimrol is also good at E1/2
Martin K and rick gibbons put up some good E3 stuff.

minimal bouldering

Alternately Chew is a slight detour but the walk ins might not mean its not suitable time wise.

Bouldering I love holmfirth. Nice qurried grit gets the sun from 12.30. 1 min walk in and loads to do up to 7A. If you like crimpy quarried grit. (topo http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/sites/default/files/standedge_topo.pdf)

Alternatively for bouldering there is Buckstones lots of easy stuff and a few generous grades to be had however my fat fuck house mate wrecked the 7B and 7C through the roof whcih was the best stuff there. The 7a+ pig in a opokey is still climb able. (topo http://www.kirkleesclimbing.co.uk/sites/default/files/buckstones_topo.pdf) below the road is probably best for a quick blast.

Dolly

• forum hero
#2 Re: Pule Hill - any good
August 10, 2013, 09:14:08 am
Cheers for all the detail Grubes -  much appreciated

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal